Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > The Solution to Herky-Jerky Online Video

The Solution to Herky-Jerky Online Video
selowitch
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2009, 09:20 PM

Given that streaming online video (YouTube, Hulu) still sucks compared to television for most people even with broadband, I'm amazed that nobody has figured out or offered a way to capture or cache an online video for you (however long that takes), so it can be played back later like a regular movie file without the nuisances of slowdown, lag, Flash problems, etc. Or maybe it's out there and I just don't know it.

Cold Warrior
Mar 9, 2009, 09:29 PM

I use Safari's Activity viewer to download Flash vids I want to watch if the clip is longer than a couple minutes.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2009, 09:44 PM

Ditto. The Activity panel is mad useful. There are also many programs that will do it for you and even convert the video to a different format (search MacUpdate — there were 10 or so last time I looked).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ibook_steve
Mar 10, 2009, 12:08 AM

Can you elaborate on this? What do you do with the Activity window?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2009, 12:57 AM

Double-click on any resource in the Activity window and Safari will try to open it. In the case of YouTube and other video sites, just double-click the large .flv file and it will download (since Safari can't open flash video by itself).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Sage
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2009, 03:15 AM

With YouTube, you can use this favelet to get quick access to the mp4 file:

Code:
javascript:if%20(document.getElementById('download-youtube-video')==null%20&&%20!!(document.location.href.match(/http:\/\/[a-zA-Z\.]*youtube\.com\/watch/)))%20{var%20yt_mp4_path='http://www.youtube.com/get_video?fmt=18&video_id='+swfArgs['video_id']+'&t='+swfArgs['t'];%20var%20div_embed=document.getElementById('watch-embed-div');div_embed.innerHTML=div_embed.innerHTML+'%3Cbr%20/%3E%20%3Cspan%20id=\'download-youtube-video\'%3E%3Ca%20href=\''+yt_mp4_path+'\'%3EDownload%20as%20MP4%3C/a%3E%20'+%20%20((navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Safari')!=-1)?'(control-click%20and%20select%20%3Ci%3EDownload%20linked%20file%20as%3C/i%3E)':('(right-click%20and%20select%20%3Ci%3ESave%20'+%20(navigator.appName=='Microsoft%20Internet%20Explorer'?'target':'link')%20+'%20as)%3C/i%3E'))+'%3C/span%3E';}void(0);
(Make a new bookmark in Safari, and then copy-paste the above into the Address field.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules