Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > USB Device Alert

USB Device Alert
ramartone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2002, 02:07 PM

Since I began using Altec Lansing ACS 495 Speakers with my Beige G3 I've been getting a USB device alert at startup telling me it can't find the device and to install the software or disconnect the device.

Is there any way I can disable the alert message without clicking on the OK button? I can't disable the USB Support Extension because I need it for my keyboard, mouse, and of course, the ACS 495 speakers. Is there a ResEdit or QuickKey solution? BTW, I'm running 8.6.1 with 512 MB of RAM and the Sonnet G3-500 ZIF CPU Upgrade.

Tom_O
Apr 22, 2002, 10:36 PM

Just a shot in the dark!   Do you have the the latest version of the Game Sprocket extension named "HID Library" enabled?   If not, download the latest Game Sprockets from Apple.

<font color = blue>Tom</font>

[ 04-22-2002: Message edited by: Tom_O ]

<ramartone>
Apr 23, 2002, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by Tom_O:
<STRONG>Just a shot in the dark! � Do you have the the latest version of the Game Sprocket extension named "HID Library" enabled? � If not, download the latest Game Sprockets from Apple.

<font color = red>Tom</font>

[ 04-22-2002: Message edited by: Tom_O ]</STRONG>
HID Library was already enabled. Thanks for the suggestion. Any other thoughts before I unplug these speakers.

Tom_O
Apr 23, 2002, 08:40 PM

It has been awhile since I have run OS 8.6, so my memory is a little vague on what extensions you would require. &nbsp; Do you have the "USB Device Extension" enabled? &nbsp; Or maybe a better question is, do you have that extension at all? &nbsp; I can't remember if it was part of OS 8.6 or not. &nbsp; If you do have it and it is enabled, I don't have any other ideas. &nbsp; Hopefully, someone else will come along and be able to help you.

<font color = blue>Tom</font>

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2002, 11:30 PM

actually, try disabling the usb software locator extension...
dont have this problem, so not sure...but try it, see if it helps.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Forum Links
Forum Rules