Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Initial Setup

Initial Setup
bbqhog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2006, 10:29 PM

I ordered a new 17" macbook pro that is set to arrive in about ten days. I have read a few comments in this forum about doing a fresh install of OSX right out of the box. I've always owned Dell PC's and on initial setup, have simply deleted the excess garbage loaded at the factory. Is it really necessary to reinstall the OS? If so, can I do the install with the discs supplied in the box?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 7, 2006, 10:36 PM

It's not necessary to do a fresh, clean install of OS X. I for one haven't even touched most of the programs that came with my MBP because I haven't had time yet, so I'm leaving them where they are until I can decide what I like and what I don't want. But you don't have to do anything but enjoy your new computer-it doesn't come with all sorts of third party crapware like a Dell does.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

atc ben
Nov 7, 2006, 11:26 PM

The only reason I reinstalled OSX was to get rid of all the extra language support. It only amounts to about 2GBs of hard disk space. I have a crap ton of music (around 60GB), so I need all the space I can get.
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

bigmike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2006, 02:20 AM

I dumped the printer driver as well. I don't need os x to support all of them anywayz.
we are all part of a masterplan.

MrN79
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2006, 02:23 AM

Just a personal preference, but I like to clean it out, format it, and partition a new computer when i get it, that way i know what i have on my computer is what i want on it.

It's not really necessary to do it, but like I said, personal preference...It's your computer do with it as you wish.
13" MB, 2.0, 80HD, Glossy
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte
15" MBP C2D, 2.33, 160HD, Glossy

Forum Links
Forum Rules