Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone Wishlists: Updates and v2

iPhone Wishlists: Updates and v2
tmelcher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2007, 02:30 AM

So I thought it would be cool to kind of throw together a list of things we'd like to see in the iPhone, both through updates, and in version 2.

Software Updates:
  1. Keychain syncing, preferably both through .Mac and iTunes. That way I don't have to enter all of my passwords every damn time. Really, I think this could be a huge way in which Apple expands on Keychain, making it actually a worthwhile feature. It's handy now having it sync between computers via .Mac, but it has so much more potential.
  2. Video recording. This'll probably be stuck in v2 or v3 of the phone and touted as a huge improvement, but if the thing can decode 1500 kb/s H.264, I think it can handle a little bit of video recording.
  3. YouTube syncing. I absolutely love the YouTube app, but I hate how I have to have two sets of favorites, one on my phone and one through my YouTube account. It would make so much more sense if they added a way to make these jive.
  4. Better video format support. As much as I love H.264, I don't enjoy having to re-encode all of my DivX files just to watch them on my iPhone (and through Front Row, for that matter).
  5. MMS. This is a minor issue for me, a huge issue for others, but I think it would be wonderful if there was a way to send photos via text message rather than just email.
  6. Official third-party application support. I'm currently running a dozen or so custom apps, and I would hate for them to try to block people from installing such things in the future--they really do add a lot to the phone.
  7. Stereo bluetooth. The hardware's there, just not the software. I've been toying with the idea of buying bluetooth headphones for awhile now, but the iPhone's inability to support them is delaying me now.
  8. Bluetooth syncing. I know it's slower, but 95% of the time, all syncing is is making changes to a few minor discrepancies between things on my computer and phone, and I could really use the extra USB port.
  9. VoIP support. I would love if, when in range of a WiFi network with adequate bandwidth, I could use it for calling and avoid having to spend minutes. Of course this will anger AT&T, but I think this will slowly begin to replace traditional cellular phones.
  10. Flash/Java support. The ads tout it as accessing the "real" internet, but lack of support for those two popular protocols leaves a lot to be desired.
  11. Zune-like music sharing with other iPhones/iPod Touches, like the "iTunes Circle" rumor we heard about.
  12. Ability to "communicate" with AppleTVs. This would greatly boost the appeal of the AppleTV, since you would be able to play stuff on your friends' TVs without any real effort, and is something to consider for the iPod Touch too.

Version 2 Wishlist (aka Hardware Updates):
  1. 3G support. We all want to see this, because as... okay... as EDGE is, we all want better than 56k-like speeds on our phone.
  2. More space. I know with current flash technology there are limitations, but the wonderful screen capable of displaying beautiful movies is somewhat limited by the fact that I can't fit many movies on there, not to mention only a fraction of my music library.
  3. 4+ MP camera and maybe even a flash. I can't wait until the day where the point-and-shoot camera becomes totally useless. SLRs will always be there for high-end, professional stuff (which I loved doing), but for most of my basic snapshots, I just want to be able to use my phone.
  4. GPS unit. This one is pretty obvious: Google Maps + GPS = godly. It would also lead to perhaps a few interesting 3rd-party applications.
  5. Video out. This omission is glaring and very disappointing.
  6. Fix the audio out port to allow all headphones. I know they designed it like it is now with a certain aesthetic in mind (the recess doesn't interrupt the shape of the phone), but it's annoying that I need an adapter.
Mac Pro, 2x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Xeon
MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo
16GB iPhone 3G
Airport Extreme + Airport Express dual access point setup

Kermy
Sep 11, 2007, 03:35 AM

I love my iPhone but c'mon Apple! Where's my ical syncing to-do list? Oh yea how about copy/cut and paste?
Powerbook G4 12" Combo

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2007, 07:11 AM

1. Camera delete option.
2. Tethering support.
3. 3G data.
4. Carrier choice.

Would get me to buy it, and your laundry list would get me to stop complaining about it.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2007, 08:01 AM

After having my new (price dropped) iPhone for a few days I would like to see a few things in addition to those already mentioned:
1) Profiles. I'd like to easily be able to set a group of settings for when I'm at home vs. elsewhere. For example, turn off Wi-Fi to save battery, activate different outgoing mail servers, change screen sleep timeout, change the interval for checking email etc. with one easy click when I leave the house. I can see 3 different profiles I'd like:
Home
Away (wi-fi enabled)
Away (Edge only) -- for those times I'm driving or around the island I work on and know that I won't be in contact with any wi-fi hotspots (or at least not for more than a few seconds

2)The ability to enable and disable email accounts on the fly on the phone. I don't need to have some of my less important accounts enabled during the course a day ... but would like them to have them easily re-enabled if I'm going to be away for a while. I don't want to have to dock up with iTunes to change this. Also, I could have my GF's email set up but disabled but we could re-enable it if we are on a trip or something.

3)Simple storage somewhere on the iPhone and OBEX data transfer via bluetooth. This is something I miss from my old phone. Just being able to dump data of any kind (not just those that iPhone technically supports) onto and off off the iPhone ... basically, using it as a thumb drive.

4) Ability to do EDGE tethering. Another loss from my old phone. While the iPhone is completely adequate in most cases, there are a few times I really need to jump on the actual laptop and use it as I used to do.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2007, 08:25 AM

ActiveSync!

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2007, 08:36 AM

1. 3G/EV-DO
2. Tethering
3. Flash
4. Copy/Paste

In that order.
If it was EV-DO on Sprint's network and let me tether it to my Macbook, I would sell my kidney tomorrow for it.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2007, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
2)The ability to enable and disable email accounts on the fly on the phone.
Settings -> Mail -> <account name> -> Account On/Off.

Personally, I'd like to see iCal to-do lits, OTA Exchange Syncing/push mail (ActiveSync), and a proper SDK.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2007, 09:43 AM

I would be happy with a huge boost in headset volume and the ability to rotate mail and documents.
Oh yea, and the ability to listen to music and browse the web at the same time (reliably).
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2007, 10:12 AM

It should be able to shoot video with the camera and upload straight to YouTube. Voice dialing would be nice. To-do lists would be nice.

The biggest thing is just getting more apps and games on the thing.

Oh yeah, and easy swappable batteries.
( Last edited by ort888; Sep 11, 2007 at 10:56 AM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

jcatma61
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2007, 12:50 PM

Come on, now! I can't imagine a cooler benefit that goes so far beyond other "smart phones." Drop in on the office and print out attachments, google maps, what-have-you, directly from the phone... and go!!

Another thing that I think would go above and beyond would be a widget that allows select, secure network connection. Add those two things, and I think you have, in total, what I've been saying about my iPhone to everyone who asks: it's a pocket sized, full-featured computer that's also my phone.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by jcatma61 View Post
Another thing that I think would go above and beyond would be a widget that allows select, secure network connection.
Well, if they can just fix Cisco VPN support, they'd be 90% there....
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2007, 01:05 PM

All these things are great, I have a couple more software-updates to add:

1) Make EVERYTHING be available in portrait/landscape mode. ESPECIALLY SMS! I would love typing SMS on the full size keyboard that we only get to use for google searches in landscape. There is no reason this isn't there.
Also, anytime people play with my phone, the first thing they do is flip the phone on its side to see the picture change. Then I have to explain it only works in certain apps., etc.

2) Fix the damn ringtones! I'm sure this will come over time, but the ringtone feature released today is a joke, let us choose the songs and stuff, use the iTunes editor, and I'll even pay the 99c per tone, but jesus, give us something to choose from without having to rebuy all of our music. I'm getting sick of Marimba!

3) 802.1x network support. This may not matter for many people, but people at colleges (like me) or at corporations with these networks require a username and password to login. I have wifi all around me that my computer can go off of, but my phone is stuck using edge. It sucks.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2007, 01:06 PM

Different colors would also be nice.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

bierslayer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by tmelcher;3479858[*
VoIP support. I would love if, when in range of a WiFi network with adequate bandwidth, I could use it for calling and avoid having to spend minutes. Of course this will anger AT&T, but I think this will slowly begin to replace traditional cellular phones.
Bingo. I don't have an iPhone but I would buy one now if this were a feature. Then I'd ditch my land line.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2007, 01:47 PM

iPod Classic like drag and drop support for the iPhone iPod. This one is a big bummer. Hope to see a software update soon!

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2007, 02:16 PM

Software
1) Ability to manage documents (at least pdfs) via itunes
2) A decent eReader app
3) Filter settings for Mail app
4) Ability to read a combined 'in box' from all mail accounts, if you want

Another vote for:
- Cisco VPN
- update 'notes' to sync with ical to do lists
- clipboard for cut and paste

Hardware
- Fix the stupid recessed RCA jack. If Stevie J approved of this modification, his ego is now officially in the way of common sense.
- a forward-looking camera to allow video conferencing when attached to wifi

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2007, 02:58 PM

I forgot to mention it is my first post but someone else mentioned it. Printing would be a very useful feature. Even if it was no frills basic drivers nothing fancy printing I would be happy.

I agree with everyone else's suggestions, but I don't want a removable battery as I don't want any moving parts or the extra thickness it would require. Different colors also isn't something I'm interested in.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2007, 03:24 PM

1) LEAP support (and Cisco VPN) I can only access my network as a guest, which prohibits access to servers/email
2) Video recording
3) Video out
4) GPS
5) Mini word processor for word docs and excel spreadsheets
6) Espresso maker with frother
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

donutogre
Sep 12, 2007, 04:17 PM

My wishlist is fairly modest. I really really like how the iPhone is now and would pull the trigger but for one thing.

1. 16GB

I made a playlist of my favorite albums and it came out to about 10 gigs, so a 16GB iPhone would be ideal for me. Room for vids and pics and a bit more music, and I wouldn't need my 60GB iPod on a daily basis. I'd feel too cramped with an 8GB model.

While I'm at it though, these are important things that I think should be fixed ASAP:

- Recessed headphone jack...this is almost a dealbreaker for me. C'mon Apple, I don't want to use a stupid extender thingee!

- Ringtone volume...I've heard that it is VERY quiet and thus it is easy to miss calls...while most of the time I have my phone on vibrate, it would be nice to be able to hear it ringing in a not-quiet room.

- Updated email app....there really needs to be a faster way to delete items, as well as a one-click trash empty in the mailbox.

- 3G would obviously be great, but that isn't a dealbreaker to me.

I figure iPhone will go to 16GB in January at Macworld at the latest, so I can wait till then. My current cell contract ends on 12/26 so it will be a long few weeks waiting for Macworld!
~nate

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2007, 04:31 PM

Copy/Paste

Multiple E-mail Delete

Flash on Safari
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2007, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Copy/Paste
Wait, the iPhone doesn't even support cut/copy/paste?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 05:03 PM

Spotlight

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2007, 05:53 PM

Most consumer level devices like the iPhone, Blackjack, and Q do not support copy/paste.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by nstehle View Post
Most consumer level devices like the iPhone, Blackjack, and Q do not support copy/paste.
Blackberries do. THere is really no reason the iPhone shouldn't have it apple probably just didn't have time.

I bet we will see Spotlight, iChat, copy/paste and horizontal use in mail and other apps by next January.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Wait, the iPhone doesn't even support cut/copy/paste?
Thats why it's on my wishlist
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

krove
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2007, 08:43 PM

1. 3G
2. 16 GB (or even—gasp!—32 GB)
3. Better mail application that can at least allow me to look at a unified inbox. Traversing the folder structure for three accounts is really annoying.
4. More apps: iChat, Preview, iTunes remote (control airtunes)
5. Ability to read iWork documents (if it can read Word, Excel files, surely it should read Apple's docs) + PowerPoint/Keynote
6. CoverFlow for my Address Book. I'd love to be able to scroll through my address book using the large full-screen pictures I've worked so hard to associate with most of my contacts.
7. Official games
8. Partnering with other companies to make available Apple-sanctioned 3rd-party apps à la Google Maps, YouTube, etc. I especially just want Epocrates (or equivalent).

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

k2director
Senior User
Sep 13, 2007, 12:19 AM

1) To Do feature that syncs up with iCal. For God's sake, this is necessary for any organizer worth its salt.

2) 3G would be absolutely great.

3) iChat!

4) Games!

5) Voice dialing.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2007, 09:28 AM

I think the most likely additions (of the things I've seen here) to happen in the next 6 mos. are:

(1) 3G
(2) iChat
(3) To Do
(4) iWork support
(5) Multiple e-mail delete
(6) Flash support
(7) Copy/Paste
(7) 16GB

In no particular order.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 11:50 AM

The only thing I really want on the iPhone HARDWARE wise is.

3G

Front camera

Flash

GPS

kman42
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
3) 802.1x network support. This may not matter for many people, but people at colleges (like me) or at corporations with these networks require a username and password to login. I have wifi all around me that my computer can go off of, but my phone is stuck using edge. It sucks.
I use my campus wireless network. The first time I connected, it launched Safari and I filled in my username and password and it has connected flawlessly ever since. This is also one of the features that Steve said made wifi on the Touch useful compared to wifi on other mobile devices.

Or are you talking about something else?

kman

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2007, 12:51 PM

802.1x is something else entirely.

IEEE 802.1X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

kman42
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Earth Mk. II View Post
802.1x is something else entirely.

IEEE 802.1X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cool. Thanks for the link. You learn something everyday, as they say.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 02:34 PM

OMG the iPod Touch as something I've wanted on the iPhone before I got it!

I am sure it will come with the next iPhone update also.

kdarling
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2007, 02:48 PM

The touchscreen Windows Mobile phones do.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2007, 06:00 PM

The same as nstehle:

(1) 3G
(2) iChat
(3) To Do
(4) iWork support
(5) Multiple e-mail delete
(6) Flash support
(7) Copy/Paste
(8) 16GB

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
I use my campus wireless network. The first time I connected, it launched Safari and I filled in my username and password and it has connected flawlessly ever since. This is also one of the features that Steve said made wifi on the Touch useful compared to wifi on other mobile devices.

Or are you talking about something else?

kman
Yeah, I wish it was that easy. It was actually a pain to connect to the 802.1x network on my mac too, because i had to open internet connect and configure it that way (after numerous attempts at doing it other ways). I wish my uni had a connection like yours, its really starting to annoy me that I have to go open my laptop to jump to a website to find out some info (or wait an hour fore EDGE to load it).

firstdown55
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2007, 08:30 PM

Corporate e-mail support (Activesync, Goodlink, and/or Blackberry Connect)

If Apple can get the iPhone to work for people that use smartphones, Apple will sell 2 million iPhones over the next 74 days.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by firstdown55 View Post
Corporate e-mail support (Activesync, Goodlink, and/or Blackberry Connect)

If Apple can get the iPhone to work for people that use smartphones, Apple will sell 2 million iPhones over the next 74 days.
Yep! As it is, only fanboys like me will purchase the iPhone and try to use it in the corporate world. Even as a fanboy, I seriously considered returning my iPhone and going back to the Treo 750 or Blackjack.

Apple would find untold riches if it took on BB/WM/Good head-on by licensing something like ActiveSync.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2007, 12:25 PM

[QUOTE=nstehle;3483229]Yep! As it is, only fanboys like me will purchase the iPhone and try to use it in the corporate world. Even as a fanboy, I seriously considered returning my iPhone and going back to the Treo 750 or Blackjack./QUOTE]

I, too, am seriously considering giving my iPhone to my wife and going to a treo or blackberry because the corporate support from Apple is terrible.

However, rumor has it that Apple's next update (10.4.11) is supposed to include support for Cisco VPN. [a separate rumor says that 10.5 release is also waiting for Cisco VPN support]. If Apple can put that in both Mac OS X and iPhone OS X, then maybe some of these other business-centric solutions will also open up.

I'll wait until the end of Oct to decide; but if we have a full update to the iPhone and 10.5 without any business support, for my sanity I'll retrograde to the more traditional smartphones.

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2007, 01:00 PM

1.- 4-inch diagonal LCD, 640x480 @ 204 pixels per inch
2.- No camera at the back side
3.- iSight at the front side with full iChat and Photo Booth support
4.- Preview.app
5.- Keynote viewer
6.- Support for Horizontal and Vertical scrolling
7.- 32 GB or bigger flash drive
8.- Multi language support and spelling
9.- DVI output ( still a dream )

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2007, 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=SEkker;3483358]
However, rumor has it that Apple's next update (10.4.11) is supposed to include support for Cisco VPN. [a separate rumor says that 10.5 release is also waiting for Cisco VPN support]. If Apple can put that in both Mac OS X and iPhone OS X, then maybe some of these other business-centric solutions will also open up.
Oh, how I hope that's true and makes its way into the iPhone.

Also, if Apple wants to get serious about business users, they need to make a model without any camera at all. Lots of places, and especially offices that do government/DoD work, ban any device with a camera.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2007, 01:56 AM

- 3g
- 32gb
- Gps
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

atc ben
Sep 17, 2007, 12:34 PM

How about being able to save info from a Google Maps search directly to your contacts with the push of a button? I've searched out a local business's phone number more than once, and wished I could just import it to my contacts along with their address etc on the spot.

A lot of good suggestions here. I also would like to see:
Landscape mode for a larger keyboard available in SMS and email
A To Do list that syncs with iCal is a no-brainer
More storage
Copy/Paste
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by atc ben View Post
How about being able to save info from a Google Maps search directly to your contacts with the push of a button? I've searched out a local business's phone number more than once, and wished I could just import it to my contacts along with their address etc on the spot.
The "Create New Contact" and "Add to existing Contact" buttons aren't good enough in Google Maps?

bobablob
Sep 17, 2007, 02:23 PM

Uh... you already can do this.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2007, 03:13 PM

• 64 GB option
• 3G
• Tethering
• SDK

in that order

atc ben
Sep 17, 2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by bobablob View Post
Uh... you already can do this.

Holy crap! I swear I've never seen those buttons before. I just talked to someone else who thought it was a good idea too. That's funny. I feel like a doofus.
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

xtal
Senior User
Sep 17, 2007, 05:06 PM

<facetiousness>

Forget this 16 GB crap, I want a terabyte. Or two.

</facetiousness>

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2007, 07:59 AM

Holy crap! I swear I've never seen those buttons before. I just talked to someone else who thought it was a good idea too. That's funny. I feel like a doofus.
I hadn't seen them either. I need to work less.

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2007, 10:12 AM

Many good suggestions here, ones Apple either overlooked or for whatever odd reason, purposely left out.

Things I wish Apple would work on:

- Not sure if they could do it via a software update, but the loudness of the handset and external speaker is really low to me. It's hard to hear it ring in with the TV on or even at the office. The cheapo Motorola I replaced could be heard two rooms away at max volume.

- Random crashes, for me being mostly the iPod stopping when browsing.

- Other options of copying files (drag and drop, etc) back and forth instead of just syncing.

- Built-in ad blocker for Safari. When surfing on EDGE, it would help immensely as well as lessen the strain on the network itself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules