Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is it time for an iPhone Mini?

Is it time for an iPhone Mini?
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2010, 06:53 PM

Just read this interesting article on ars ... Can you buy me now? Apple and the war for the mobile market

Personally I think the reason the iPod was such a success was because they iterated so quickly, added services and didn't have such a predictable release schedule.

I think now that android is catching up(or already has) with unti sales rates, apple needs to address other price segments with different models, as well as a second carrier in the U.S.

iPhone mini should be in the pipeline IMHO and optimistically should be released for this coming holiday season with the express feature of being sold for any carrier that supports 3G networks; smaller screen, less memory, lighter, smaller, different colors ala iPod nano. Sold direct to customers using the same channels that have been used to sell iPods.

I think most of the hallmark features of the iPhone such as the touchscreen, flash memory, battery technology, CPU, etc should be at a point where they can be produced cheaply enough to enable this expansion.

Discuss

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2010, 07:29 PM

They should make one that fits inside your eye.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2010, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
They should make one that fits inside your eye.
would it be called iEye or simply i

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2010, 09:48 PM

I'd rather have an iPhone with a big ass screen like on the Evo.

I know Steve said people don't want big screens, but I would like one.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 5, 2010, 10:56 PM

I don't. I wish my iPhone was smaller. It looks weird when it is in your pocket because it creates a huge flat square bulge.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2010, 11:22 PM

I'm all for choice and different size screens, but I wonder what it would do to the app market. The consistency of being able to design apps for a certain size screen must make things easier for developers.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2010, 12:41 AM

Phones aren't trending towards smaller these days. I doubt it happens.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2010, 01:28 AM

No, it is not time for an iPhone Mini.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2010, 02:01 AM

Nope.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2010, 03:18 AM

[QUOTE=Hawkeye_a;3993748Personally I think the reason the iPod was such a success was because they iterated so quickly, added services and didn't have such a predictable release schedule.[/QUOTE]

As I recall, iPod had an extremely predictable release schedule, much as today's iPhone. I bought the first iPod and regularly sold one a week or so before the next expected release. The surprise iPods were the new introductions--we were surprised by the iPod Mini, the Shuffle, and the Nano. Once released they were all updated rather regularly on an annual basis.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 6, 2010, 09:46 AM

It's time for Apple to make a flip phone.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 6, 2010, 10:42 AM

With an external antenna.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I'm all for choice and different size screens, but I wonder what it would do to the app market. The consistency of being able to design apps for a certain size screen must make things easier for developers.
As long as the ratio stays the same I would think they would be okay. That would change the size of onscreen buttons and stuff, but I don't think it would be that big of a deal. It's not like the 4.3 inch screen is that much bigger than a 3.5 incher anyway. Now that everything is being made all high res for the retina display, it should be easier for them to expand it to other sizes. They could keep the exact same pixel density on the bigger screen and developers would have to do nothing.

It's not a big deal. The current screen is more than fine... sometimes I just think it would be nice to have one a little bigger. I use my phone as a portable web browser way more than I use it as a phone.
( Last edited by ort888; Aug 6, 2010 at 12:06 PM. )

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I understand your concern, but with the increase in pixel densities, and the size of the bezel, I think a mini iPhone could be a distinct possibility.

They could clock an A4 at a lower frequency to match the thermal envelope of a smaller device with 256MB ram(like the 3GS).. They could also offer the models with less storage than the iPhone, thus reducing the price.

But it would need to have complete iOS support otherwise why bother ? Imagine a smaller grid of icons on the screen... 3X5 icons on screen. The only thing required would be a screen with the same ratio as the iPhone. IMHO.

The point of such a device would be a smaller form factor and a lower price, just like the iPod minis and nanos.

I think this would be an appropriate response to the plethora of android devices hitting the market.

Cheers

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2010, 12:07 PM

I think they could really push an iPhone mini and the new $15 data plan to a lot of people.

Many are afraid of paying $30 a month for data.

I was for a while myself... but honestly, it's the best $30 I spend a month. I get more value from my data plan then I do from just about anything else.

Well, besides stuff like electricity and water... you know stuff we take for granted.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2010, 07:20 PM

Thing is, the iPhone interface would make no sense on a screen even smaller: your fingertips don't shrink.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2010, 07:36 PM

iPhone mini? let's get the full sized iPhone working proper before we get a smaller one.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2010, 03:47 PM

I think you'd sooner see an iPhone Express, same size screen, but thinner slower 3G radio, less ram etc... oh wait that's what the 3GS is now... well aside from the slower 3G radio.

Fact is Apple's smart to stay out of the 0 dollar market, the customers there are vicious and they destroy their phones so quickly. Not to mention carriers don't value those customers as much.

What would be nice would be Apple selling the phone on more carriers, having more data options for it, and potentially having an iPhone you could buy in store for around the same price as an iPod touch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules