Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > IE 5.1 and Shockwave 8.5.1r102

IE 5.1 and Shockwave 8.5.1r102
01pwm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2002, 03:20 AM

I just installed IE 5.1. It went fine, but I unintentionally deleted my old IE 5 folder, which of course contains the "Plugins" folder (this is why I'm no fan of Microsoft's drag-and-drop installation).

So I had to download Shockwave again. Apparently a new version was released about a week ago. After you run the installer from the desktop, IE launches and commences to load a page at shockwave.com. At this point, more software is supposed to be downloaded while you fill out information boxes about your connection speed and such. It downloads for a minute or so, and then a box pops up saying "Error writing to the disk." Nothing further happens after I click OK. When I view a page with Shockwave content, a dialog box pops up about the computer needing to restarted in order to finish the Shockwave installation. Restarting doesn't help, as the same box pops up time and time again. Flash content works fine, but I can't play Shockwave games like Event Horizon, which kind of stinks.

What could be happening here? Is there an incompatibility between IE 5.1 and this new Shockwave? Are the Macromedia servers perhaps on the fritz? When will I be able to play Event Horizon again?

I try uninstalling and reinstalling, obviously, but I don't know what else I can do. Anyone know where I can get an older copy of Shockwave, or have any other solutions?

Thanks

Tom_O
Jan 26, 2002, 02:56 PM

<font color = red>Pure Mac</font> - Web Browser Add-ons & Plug-ins

<font color = blue>Tom</font> &nbsp;

01pwm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2002, 01:28 AM

Thanks Tom, but I'm having the same problems with the older versions of Shockwave on the page you've linked to. The process stalls when the installer launches IE and tries to connect to the Macromedia servers to download additional stuff. Does anyone know what stuff it's trying to download? Could someone just hook me up with a working Shockwave plugin and whatever else it installs?

Thanks again

Forum Links
Forum Rules