Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I can't sleep (too many lights inside hotel room)

I can't sleep (too many lights inside hotel room)
mindwaves
Oct 7, 2017, 11:40 AM

I'm currently in a decent hotel room and I turned off the lights and the curtains completely block the outside light, but the inside of the room is still quite bright and not dark like I like it. Why?

There are three sets of light switches all around the room, all with indicator LED lights. The TV is off but still has a small orange light on, and the thermostat has a 2.5" LCD with a light also. The result is that it is definitely not black in the room, far from it actually. I have blocked two of the light switches with paper around the room, but cannot block the rest without tape.

I need to remind myself to buy electrical tape next time I stay in a modern hotel room.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 7, 2017, 11:55 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:55 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2017, 01:03 PM

I don't necessarily sleep well, but I zero problem eating a huge meal and going down for the count afterwards.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 7, 2017, 01:55 PM

Thermostat backlights typically power off after a few seconds of inactivity. Someone probably went into the settings and locked it on. If so, you can restore normal behavior, though you may have to download the manual.

Can the TV be turned to the wall?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2017, 02:17 PM

Rip the TV out and use it to smash the light switches and thermostat before throwing it out the window.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Oct 7, 2017, 02:21 PM

I have had all of these happen to me, but not all at once. The TV having a little LED is very common and annoys me no end, as I rarely use it at all (Netflix on iPad). IME, blocking the direct light in my field of view is enough, so thermostats etc are less of an issue, but YMMV.

This is something that seems to be grown recently, as I never had this issue say three years ago.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2017, 02:33 PM

I have my backup server in my bedroom. It's a testament to how quiet it is that I can't hear it.

That was with 2TB Greens. I upgraded to 4TB Reds, so now... not so much.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2017, 04:13 PM

Not that it helps you now, but...

I travel for work. A lot. I used to have a horrible time sleeping in hotels, but about a year ago I started travelling with a sleep mask and I use a white noise generator app on my phone.

I sleep pretty damn well now.

Turning the AC up is a good trick, but it seems most hotels around (northern and central) Europe either don't have AC at all or are centrally controlled. Sucks.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2017, 05:59 PM

Could you not just carry a roll of black insulation tape with you to cover up any offending LEDs?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2017, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Could you not just carry a roll of black insulation tape with you to cover up any offending LEDs?
I suppose. But when I'm ready to go to bed, I don't want to spend 10 min discovering and covering all the LEDs scattered about the room. That would be a pain in the ass. Sleep mask is all but no effort.

mindwaves  (op)
Oct 7, 2017, 06:48 PM

Definitely will heed the carb warning and will buy a sleep mask also. I used to wear one but the elastic band wore out and I never bothered buying another one, but they do work wonders. I think part of the reason is the light pressure that they place on the eyelids.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 8, 2017, 04:09 PM

I spent a lot of time in hotels a few years ago in my lead up to surgery and as someone who can't sleep with any extraneous light, I gave in and bought a sleep mask. It takes a little getting used to, but half the time I only need it to fall asleep.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2017, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I don't necessarily sleep well, but I zero problem eating a huge meal and going down for the count afterwards.
Yeah, it's a sure way I'll oversleep, actually. It's the usual cause of my yearly Thanksgiving coma, where I sleep for 14-16 hours straight. (Then wake up not knowing what year it is or even where I am.)

OP, wear good blinders (I like the ones made of gel and memory foam). Problem solved.

https://smile.amazon.com/Sleep-Mask-.../dp/B019JY9BO8

They make you look like you have a tiny bra on your face, but they don't touch your eyelids.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2017, 12:13 PM

My bedroom, in total violation of fire code, has no windows.

It's ****in awesome.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2017, 01:13 PM

I wish it was only lights that keep me awake at night. I toss n turn all night. Sometime after 2 am or so when I wake I hit the clock to see what time it is, guessing before I hit it. I'm usually only 5-15 minutes off. My problem is tinnitus (high pitched ringing in my ears). When I was younger I wanted to retire and listen to my kick-ass audio system and build detailed models. I have tinnitus and arthritis. Getting old SUCKS!

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2017, 01:25 PM

Have you tried the "finger tapping technique"?

It can supposedly provide temporary relief.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 10, 2017, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Turning the AC up is a good trick, but it seems most hotels around (northern and central) Europe either don't have AC at all or are centrally controlled. Sucks.
If I'm the tiniest bit too hot, I can't fall asleep. The bane of my existence is hotels with really loud in-room HVAC units. I have to have it on to cool down, but it's deafeningly loud and wakes me up when it kicks on and off all night.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2017, 10:08 AM

Have you tried rubbing one out?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 10, 2017, 10:20 AM

I'm offended that you even have to ask.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2017, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'm offended that you even have to ask.
Why, is he catholic?

Ham Sandwich
Oct 10, 2017, 01:28 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:57 AM. )

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2017, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Geez guys, not that again...
It's all some of them have, they can't help it.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Forum Links
Forum Rules