Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > "BootCD" utility ... best standalone apps to use with...?

"BootCD" utility ... best standalone apps to use with...?
Nep2ne
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2003, 10:56 PM

Hi Everyone

I might be late in the game here, but I just found a utility called BootCD:

http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...d=15196&db=mac

...and have gone ahead and made my first ever customized bootable OS X CD. There is one problem I found with this utility, and that is that a lot of apps, such as BBEdit, require certain files, prefs, libraries etc. to be in the correct places. Drive 10, Disk Utility and Terminal all work great as is.

In the process of tweaking everything out a bit, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with BootCD and could recommend any small, lightweight and standalone diagnostic apps to throw on here. Freeware and/or shareware preferred. Thanks in advance!
------
Friend of All Cats.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2003, 11:09 PM

Note: This method works best for stand-alone, self-contained applications such as Drive10; it will not work for Norton, which leaves files all over the hard disk that need to be copied to the image and will not be copied simply by copying the app itself.
From the Instructions included with the file. Not sure what apps you'll need though?
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Nep2ne  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2003, 11:34 PM

Yeah, I know I know...

My post was simply wondering whether anyone had any suggestions as to what other stand alone apps they used. i.e. "what are your favorites..."???
------
Friend of All Cats.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2003, 11:42 PM

Ah, gotcha. Sorry about that. Personally, I use Drive 10 to do some repairs as well as Apple's Disk Utility. I only use it for repair things anyway.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2003, 01:06 AM

I have a CD that I made using BootCD. I put on Drive 10 and something I hope I never have to use - Data Rescue X.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

jmousseau44
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 10:14 AM

I downloaded this last night and I'm not sure what's going on. The app runs but just keeps going and going and going. Does the creation of the image take a very long time? I'm using 10.2.4 so I wasn't sure if that was a problem? I can't locate any info on this app, the link on version tracker was dead. I ended up just quiting the program and found the "untitled.img" and burned it with DiskCopy as stated and it didn't work...

Any ideas or am I looking at this completely wrong...

Thanks,

jm

Nep2ne  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2003, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by jmousseau44:
I downloaded this last night and I'm not sure what's going on. The app runs but just keeps going and going and going. Does the creation of the image take a very long time? I'm using 10.2.4 so I wasn't sure if that was a problem? I can't locate any info on this app, the link on version tracker was dead. I ended up just quiting the program and found the "untitled.img" and burned it with DiskCopy as stated and it didn't work...

Any ideas or am I looking at this completely wrong...

Thanks,

jm
Do no know if this works in 10.2.4 yet. Haven't upgraded my iBook, but it does work in 10.2.3. Now, regarding the creation times, I've heard it can take up to a full hour in some cases. For me, all it seems to take is about 10-15 minutes. The line "please be patient" is an understatement. It should read, "go outside, shovel the snow and dig the wifes car out while you are at it..."

------
Friend of All Cats.

jmousseau44
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 10:27 AM

Oh. wait a sec. Okay, sorry folks, just found out I was using the wrong version. I had .03 and I need .0.5.3 (think that's it). Turns out the link I was using was not taking me to the most current version.

cheers,
jm

Forum Links
Forum Rules