Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Graphite Airport trouble

Graphite Airport trouble
m_brand0
Apr 10, 2003, 11:51 PM

I use my Powerbook Pismo and Airport graphite to connect to the internet. Up until a couple of days ago, everything was fine. Now, I have no reception and my Airport is flashing red lights. Any idea on how to troubleshoot this? I bought my Mac for plug and play so I'm not exactly sure what to do now that everything's gone loco. Any ideas are appreciated..

Keith

pobodysnerfect
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2003, 12:26 AM

sorry to tell ya, but I would say goodbye to your basestation. Mine just started doing the same thing: all lights flashing red, go solid red and so on. I contacted apple and they said it sounded like a hardware failure. I reloaded the firmware, updated the firmware and nothing. So I went and bought a new basestation, not an apple but a netgear, but I am having problems setting it up, but that's another thread

m_brand0  (op)
Apr 11, 2003, 02:48 PM

Well, that just sounds insane, doesn't it? It's not like it was dropped or really even touched... I hope this isn't the only reply because I'd hate to get another basestation.. Maybe I'll drag it over to the Apple store and see if there's anything they can do..

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2003, 03:11 PM

I wonder if it's the blown capacitor problem. Check out this link for info and a possible repair:

http://www.vonwentzel.net/ABS/Repair/index.html

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 11, 2003, 04:15 PM

I'd bet that the problem is indeed the capacitors-flashing lights and no link with a graphite base sounds very suspicious. If m_brand0 is lucky, his base is one that Apple will replace...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2003, 09:28 AM

Actually, if you let leave it alone or reset (as in on-off) it a couple more times it will work, at least for me. The problem sucks though.

m_brand0  (op)
Apr 26, 2003, 03:56 PM

I've unplugged it and waited. I've reset it with a paperclip and nothing's changed. I should haul it down to an Apple store and see if they can help me out. I really didn't want to get Airport Extreme until I buy a machine that can really make use of it.. Regardless, I think I'm screwed and I'll probably have to bite the bullet...

rambo47
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2003, 08:57 PM

Before you bite the bullit and buy another AirPort Base Station for $200 or more, check out the Linksys wireless router for $80 at CompUSA. See it Here. I'm usually not a fan of CompUSA for anything beyond printer paper or ink, but the damn stores are everywhere. I also usually do recommend Apple products but the price difference for a wireless router is just too huge.

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2003, 06:44 AM

I hear you saying that you bought the item for plug and play; there is one failsafe method to test if the basestation is suffering from a hardware error or not (hardware error out of warranty basically means you need to replace it unless you are technical enough to do it yourself. Otherwise you are looking at $100 US+ and its just not worth it when you can by a new one for $199 or even less).

Check out this url.

Follow the procedure carefully (its fairly simple), and if it doesnt work you have a hardware problem.

Post your findings or any questions here and I will try and help you.

Cheers
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

Forum Links
Forum Rules