Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > When does 10.3 get released? Sept?

When does 10.3 get released? Sept?
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2003, 04:43 PM

Just wondering when 10.3 will be released since I'm thinking of buying a new computer and if I buy it took soon, I'll have to pay to upgrade to 10.3 when I just shortly ago bought 10.2

thanks.

Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2003, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Mallrat:
Just wondering when 10.3 will be released since I'm thinking of buying a new computer and if I buy it took soon, I'll have to pay to upgrade to 10.3 when I just shortly ago bought 10.2

thanks.
Rumors says sometime next month (September 2003) While some other says December 2003. But more likely next month on september. Right, guys?

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

Busemann
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2003, 05:03 PM

We'll all know at Apple Expo Paris on Sept. 16.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2003, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by Mallrat:
You will have to pay for the 10.3 update unless Apple tells you otherwise. So it doesn't matter what we think, you have to wait until Apple officially announces the update policy.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2003, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
You will have to pay for the 10.3 update unless Apple tells you otherwise. So it doesn't matter what we think, you have to wait until Apple officially announces the update policy.
Indeed that's true, but you may as well hold off til the 16th September. It's not that far away, and if Apple gives a release date, they'll probably say something along the lines of "any machine bought after today will be eligible for a free upgrade" as they've done in the past.
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2003, 06:17 PM

Seeing and reading about the amount of bugs, unfinished thingies in the latest panther builds, I don't think we will see Panther in September. I think it will be like Apple originally said , by the end of the year..

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2003, 06:36 PM

While I would like to have it in September, I'd much prefer to have it when it's ready. From what we're hearing, I agree that September is probably too ambitious. I think it will be later in the year, but hopefully before December.

Chris

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2003, 07:15 PM

if they release panther in september it will be the next Windows ME

alex_wlu_82
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2003, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
if they release panther in september it will be the next Windows ME
*shudder* mac os x on the same level as ME *shudder*

DrSpookles
Aug 26, 2003, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by alex_wlu_82:
*shudder* mac os x on the same level as ME *shudder*
I have windows ME, not installed on my PC anymore, but it was w/o doubt the biggest clusterf*** I ever insalled on my PC. Yuk.
iChat/AOL: DJTcl

Espen Isaksen
Aug 27, 2003, 09:35 AM

This message in a mail from Opera may give you an idea of the release date:

Opera today released its version 6.03 for Mac to prepare for the
upcoming release of Panther, Mac OS 10.3.
------------------------------
http://www.espenisaksen.com

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2003, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by Espen Isaksen:
This message in a mail from Opera may give you an idea of the release date:
...soon?

Matt Fahrenbacher

ambush
Banned
Aug 27, 2003, 10:39 AM

yay for this week's "when will panther ship" thread!

k2director
Senior User
Aug 28, 2003, 01:01 PM

I doubt it will ship in Sept, since it's pretty much Sept already and Apple will want to build up a lot of hype before a retail release.

While there's some hype now, it really doesn't start building until there's a solid release date, so my guess is Jobs will announce a mid-late Oct ship date at the Paris Expo (Sept 16).

I pray it won't be November....that's just too long to wait, especially after waiting the whole summer for the G5s to show up.

JLL
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2003, 01:03 PM

Announce: September 16
Release: October 25

That's my feeling.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

chromos
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2003, 01:54 PM

I like what another poster had said in another thread: that 10.3 will be released on 10/3. Kinda cute, fits with the 10:20 thingy held for Jaguar last year, and it's also a Friday, so good for weekend exploration (and trips to the Apple Store).

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2003, 07:32 PM

Hey, if it's 10/3, then the Dual 2.0GHz G5 I just ordered may come with Panther installed (G5 to ship on or before 10/16 per my order status)! Hurray for saving 100 clams.


Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2003, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by chromos:
I like what another poster had said in another thread: that 10.3 will be released on 10/3. Kinda cute, fits with the 10:20 thingy held for Jaguar last year, and it's also a Friday, so good for weekend exploration (and trips to the Apple Store).
Ah! Good one! This could be it. Very possiblity! So, there's nothing we could do but sit back and wait..

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

michaelb
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2003, 10:00 PM

Why not 10/30 then?

(Maybe Steve's vegan panther likes to eat pumpkins.)

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2003, 05:38 AM

You mean 03/10, of course

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2003, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
You mean 03/10, of course
That really depends on where you are.
Do you say 03/10 in the UK like in 3th October (day/month) like we do? Or do you say it like in the states 10/03 where it's month/day? This is confusing sometimes.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2003, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by sniffer:
That really depends on where you are.
Do you say 03/10 in the UK like in 3th October (day/month) like we do? Or do you say it like in the states 10/03 where it's month/day? This is confusing sometimes.
That's what I was alluding to, yes. It's dd/mm/yy here (makes marginally more sense, as at least they're incrementing in size, but I still think yyyymmdd is better because you can just do a numeric sort )

kelix
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2003, 09:03 AM

not as confusing as saying 3th!!!! lol... look below

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 10:15 AM

There are several small things in 7b49 that are not fixed yet. Finder window widgets still don't observe Appearance change to Graphite. Funny lines still appearing in the Finder. KPs on start-up or install and the loss of audio on both of my cubes. My pismo still cannot calibrate the color of the display since 7b44. Several little interface elements need updating, particularly sheets. The Finder sheets are subtlety different than several iApps. Also the minimize widget in some apps appears in an odd shape without the sunken look. I suspect a October 3 release can be achieved, with subsequent Software Updates ensuing in early November.
Panther is however, fast on my pismo with 192mb of RAM which I use as my low-end test rig for my point-of-sale application still in development.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2003, 04:39 PM

I was at the apple store yesterday, and apparently the employees have been told sometime in september.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2003, 08:22 PM

I vote for October as well. Panther, black cat, Halloween, October. Oh the marketing possibilities!

MadBrowser
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2003, 01:26 AM

I have no idea when Panther will ship... But...

Xcode only runs on Panther (the Jaguar release from WWDC was just a preview for Jaguar, it hasn't been continued and there have been no Xcode/Jaguar builds since then).

It certainly looks like Xcode is coming in September from various ADC docs that have leaked on the 'Net. Also, wasn't that said in the WWDC talk?

Why 'release' Xcode without Panther? That wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Am I missing something?

Forum Links
Forum Rules