Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > peer to peer programs

peer to peer programs
janmc
Jan 20, 2004, 10:45 AM

does anyone know of a peer to peer program for osx? i used to use limewire to find obscure cover versions (like travis - hit me baby one more time) and want to find something similar.

for those of you who are very moral, i still buy all my albums - i just really like finding things that never appear on the bestselling album - like live versions etc.

<aside> and in case you've never heard it - try china drum (an irish metal band) doing a version of kate bush's wuthering heights! truly exceptional!

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by janmc:
does anyone know of a peer to peer program for osx? i used to use limewire to find obscure cover versions (like travis - hit me baby one more time) and want to find something similar.

for those of you who are very moral, i still buy all my albums - i just really like finding things that never appear on the bestselling album - like live versions etc.

<aside> and in case you've never heard it - try china drum (an irish metal band) doing a version of kate bush's wuthering heights! truly exceptional!
mlnet is pretty good
if you are new to computers get mlmac from versiontracker.com

you can also look on http://mldonkey.berlios.de/ for general questions or on http://www.macdk.com/ for MacOS X specific questions

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2004, 11:05 AM

acquisition - uses gnutella just like Limewire, but it's vastly better.
cpac

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2004, 12:09 PM

I've been using mlmac for a few weeks and it seems to have a memory leak. After a few hours I end up with the hard drive just thrashing and the machine's pretty much locked up (G4 450).

If what you want is available on bittorrent, then the plain old bittorrent client on it's own is fabulous, much faster than any of the combined programs. I reverted to it last night and came down to 4Gb of stuff this morning. Now that is fast.

I'm looking for a donkey client that I can use via web interface that won't lock up the machine to download some old tv series that were never released on vhs/dvd.

Oh and that travis track is excellent. Saw them do it live a few years ago. It was released as a Bside, but I've never found it available anywhere.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

janmc  (op)
Jan 20, 2004, 12:27 PM

thanks for the replies all!
looking forward to finding more interesting cover versions!

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Freeflyer:
I'm looking for a donkey client that I can use via web interface that won't lock up the machine to download some old tv series that were never released on vhs/dvd.
Go for mlnet
That's how I use it

parsec
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2004, 01:11 PM

How has no one mentioned Poisoned ?!?!

Taps into the same network kazaa uses, like mlnet (though mlnet can access more networks), but I like it's integration better (adds to itunes playlists like mlnet, but can delete the original after downloading, since I have itunes set up to automatically copy to my music library).

But the main thing for me is, it always takes a million years for downloads to start with mlnet for me, but this problem doesn't seem to occur with Poisoned.
( Last edited by parsec; Jan 20, 2004 at 01:36 PM. )

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Jan 20, 2004, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by parsec:
How has no one mentioned Poisoned ?!?!

Taps into the same network kazaa uses, like mlnet (though mlnet can access more networks), but I like it's integration better (adds to itunes playlists like mlnet, but can delete the original after downloading, since I have itunes set up to automatically copy to my music library).

But the main thing for me is, it always takes a million years for downloads to start with mlnet for me, but this problem doesn't seem to occur with Poisoned.
You grabbed the words out of my mouth

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

biscool
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2004, 01:42 PM

Poisoned for music and bit torrent for anything else!
Every minute is another chance to turn the whole thing around

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 03:21 PM

Another one to mention is acqlite, a free Gnutella client that works like Limewire and is based on Acquisition. It's free (GPL), so you can try it out and not have to pay or be nagged.

I use Azureus for BitTorrent files, since it handles multiple torrents in a single window and has lots of nice seeding rules and file management options.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 05:31 PM

I was big on mlnet for a while but I did start to notice that it had some memory problems. Poisoned used to work a lot better than it does now. I can't count how many times I've tried donkey clients over the last few years, but I just found xDonkey lastnight and I love it.

There were a few configuration issues I dealt with, though. I had to start an mlnet binary for xDonkey to connect itself to (I just used the one in my MLdonkey folder). I also had to copy the servers.ini file from the MLdonkey folder to the xDonkey folder in the Application Support folder of your home directory. Fire up xDonkey and let it sit for about an hour and it'll join a few servers and allow you to search the networks.

It also has a cool statistics tab that shows graphs of servers connected and downloads, etc. Check it out.

I'd recommend using MLdonkey 2.5-3 rather than 2.5-4. You can get MLdonkey from Michael Morreau's .Mac filesharing page
here in the MLDonkey binaries "STABLE" folder. Good luck.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

krisneph
Jan 20, 2004, 09:17 PM

Personally I like Poisoned and Acqlite there pretty awesome. What do you guys like better from those two? I don't like the new Poisoned icon I tried ti copy and paste the old one and sometimes it goes back to the new one. It switches randomly between the two icon. Can anyone help me fix that?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2004, 09:50 PM

get an old version of poisoned and ctrl+click on it and choose 'show package contents' then go into contents > resources. then find the poison.icns file and copy it to your desktop (or somewhere).

do the same to the new poisoned, show package contents > contents > resources. and then rename poison.icns to something. just to make a backup of it. and finally, copy the poison.icns from your desktop into the rresources folder. close it all up, maybe log out, log back in (can't remember if that is needed), and then run the app, and the icon should be changed.

theJoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2004, 10:40 PM

xDonkey rox . . . i use MLDonkey 2.5-4+2 from the same site (under the "test" section) and it works much better than the stable release of 2.5-4 did

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by theJoy:
xDonkey rox . . . i use MLDonkey 2.5-4+2 from the same site (under the "test" section) and it works much better than the stable release of 2.5-4 did
Awesome, I'll give 2.5-4+2 a try. 2.5-4 was horrible, unfortunately.

On a side note, I love the statistics pane of xDonkey. It shows that I'm connected to some 2000 Overnet peers and 2000 or so eMule servers, it gives me an extra sense that it's working.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 02:03 PM

Just noticed that I was using 254 without having the good ports openned on my firewall and on my router
That's why it only connected to 1 server
Now I'm HighID, and it feels good !

theJoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2004, 04:53 PM

[APi]TheMan, i hadn't been to the page to d/l MLDonkey in a few days and last night i checked it out and saw there was a new binary in the test section, 2.5-4+2-160104 . . . i d/l it and installed it. this binary does not work with xDonkey and (so far) no real noticable improvements over previous test binaries (still much better than the stable 2.5-4) . . . my point to you is that to run xDonkey, you're going to want 2.5-4+2-171203, i ran it with xDonkey until last night when i installed the newest ver. and didn't have a single problem

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 05:24 PM

[APi]TheMan, i hadn't been to the page to d/l MLDonkey in a few days and last night i checked it out and saw there was a new binary in the test section, 2.5-4+2-160104 . . . i d/l it and installed it. this binary does not work with xDonkey and (so far) no real noticable improvements over previous test binaries (still much better than the stable 2.5-4) . . . my point to you is that to run xDonkey, you're going to want 2.5-4+2-171203, i ran it with xDonkey until last night when i installed the newest ver. and didn't have a single problem
Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to take note when I get home tonight.

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2004, 04:44 AM

I use acqlite, bittorrent and sometimes Direct Connect.
Before I made the switch I used Soulseek alot. Too bad that no one has ever made a decent OSX-port of it. (I've tried Nicotine though, but I find it FAR too bulky.)

tomdavidson69
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2004, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by janmc:
Hate to break it to you mate, but China Drum are from Norfolk, England! Check on the Cover of Goosefair and you'll see...

I use Acqlite (like Acquisition but with no "nagware") and Poisoned. The only thing with Poisoned is that it sometimes doesn't connect if you are behind firewalls, I've tweaked it a little but it's not as good as AcqLite.
"I'm Captain Chaos! Been in the force long...?"

theJoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2004, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by brutal:
I use acqlite, bittorrent and sometimes Direct Connect.
Before I made the switch I used Soulseek alot. Too bad that no one has ever made a decent OSX-port of it. (I've tried Nicotine though, but I find it FAR too bulky.)
brutal, which DC client do you use? i've tried something called dcgui i think and it's interface was so incredibly ugly that i stopped using it before really seeing what it could do . . . on a side note, i've actually grown quite fond of Nicotine, the SoulSeek network is quite good for rare tracks and many, many lesser known musicians

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2004, 06:57 PM

brutal, which DC client do you use? i've tried something called dcgui i think and it's interface was so incredibly ugly that i stopped using it before really seeing what it could do . . . on a side note, i've actually grown quite fond of Nicotine, the SoulSeek network is quite good for rare tracks and many, many lesser known musicians
I just use the original Direct Connect from NeoModus. The sites I frequent still accept it, and it looks pretty slick to..

It�s a pity that the development of SoulSeekX has stalled. It looked pretty promising..

3R1C
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2004, 03:17 AM

brutal, which DC client do you use? i've tried something called dcgui i think and it's interface was so incredibly ugly that i stopped using it before really seeing what it could do
I too hate the interface for DCGui, but I stuck it out. Turns out it COMPLETELY R00lz! The thing about DCGui, is that it can search ALL the hubs without being connected to them. So you start a search going, and it searches all the hubs for what you want. It also allows you to make search filters such as only search hubs with more than "x" people connected. I usually search only hubs with at least 200 people.

It also allows swarm downloads, so if you find an album in your multi-hub search that 10 people have the same version, you just start a folder download from all 10 and it gets it from all 10 at the same time.

I also find that I'm able to connect to waaaaay more hubs with DCGui than with the Neo Modus client. In other words, many hubs who dont allow NMDC will allow DCGui.
3R1C

theJoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 04:16 AM

3R1C, are you running the X11 ver. of DCGUiI or the native OS X one?? the only one i've tried in the past is the native OS X one but i hear that the X11 version looks quite a bit better and also performs better, not to mention i believe it's a more up-to-date piece of software. i did some reading through the forums on the DCGUI site and it seems that installing the X11 version is a little over my head (not to mention there's a large number of OS X threads there so it's difficult to figure out what's the best information). anyone out there install the X11 version?
( Last edited by theJoy; Jan 25, 2004 at 07:10 PM. )

3R1C
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2004, 03:56 PM

I was running the native version for a long time, and then about 4 days ago, I went to ketelhot.de to see if there was an update yet. There wasnt, but I found a newer version for the X11 version. I downloaded it and when I double clicked it, it just "worked". It ran X11 and started right up. The UI seems a little faster, but thats the only difference Ive seen so far. I've used the native version for 100s of hours and the X11 version only maybe 2 hours.
3R1C

theJoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 07:57 PM

3R1C, having your endorsement, i decided to try the DCGUI native ver. again. i noticed this time that once you start playing around with it, the interface is not as bad as i remember. anyhow, i set everything up and tried to connect to some hubs just to make sure my setup was correct. i do notice that a lot of the hubs (all very-very small hubs around 0-20 ppl. connected) that i attempted to connect to refused my connection and i don't mean the "you're not sharing enough" kinda refusal, just a straight "connection refused". is that pretty par for the course? granted, i am not sharing yet so i am not attempting to join any bigger hubs at this moment. any advice or thoughts? thanks 'gain!

3R1C
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2004, 11:22 PM

you will get a straight connection refused from alot of hubs for 2 reasons ive noticed:

1. connected to too many hubs
2. not sharing enough.

I rarely get rufused from any hub, but im also sharing over 100 gigs of full albums, and keep my number of connected hubs below 5.
3R1C

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 12:57 AM

Damn, I was just killing myself to find out why I was hardly connecting to any donkey servers... Some few days ago my router's DHCP went screwy and gave someone else MY IP, in turn screwing up port forwarding! Yours truly is once again the DMZ host.

Whew.

Forum Links
Forum Rules