Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What OS X ID3v2 editor does everyone use?

What OS X ID3v2 editor does everyone use?
jtaylr77
Jan 30, 2004, 11:48 PM

Can anyone recommend a good ID3v2 editor for mac os X? Thanks!

yukon
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 01:41 AM

MP3 Rage. chaoticsoftware.com i believe. great Multiple-File QuickEdit, and other powerful tools. It's a Carbon port. I'm still waiting, probably in vain, for the CDDB-Tagging feature to be fixed for long filenames....oh well....

awesome. btw, use a combination of ID3 1.0, and ID3v2.4, I'd argue it's the most featureful yet still compatible.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2004, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by jtaylr77:
Can anyone recommend a good ID3v2 editor for mac os X? Thanks!
iTunes... It's what I use and it gets the job done quite well. Although I don't do bulk stuff.

jtaylr77  (op)
Jan 31, 2004, 12:05 PM

Does iTunes actually edit the tag though? I sat down and edited all songs via iTunes but when I burned them to disc and put them on another computer, all my work was gone. I assumed that is wrote changes to some library file and not the actual MP3. Is this true?

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2004, 12:10 PM

ID3X261

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 12:11 PM

did you burn an Audio CD, or a Data CD?

Audio CD's never have ID3 tags on them, Data CDs should though

Moonray
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 05:53 PM

iTunes.

It's (Apple-)scriptable so you can fit it your needs. I am constantly refining a set of scripts to create/change tags reading info from the filename or change the filename according to the tags. It's the quickest (and cheapest ) I can think of.
I am still searching a commandline ID3 tag editor though.

-

yukon
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 07:23 PM

iTunes is great at fixing tags in your collection, you can do it en-masse, and organize by settings to find what you need to change (make a low-bitrate playlist, for example). MP3 Rage is awesome for tagging new downloads, or changing one setting on all of your MP3s. MP3 Rage is also good when you want to be crazy and standardize one tag or setting across your collection.

I've always used MP3 Rage to fix the terrible tags of things on the internet. But I could never "clean" my collection with it, it's iTunes database-like features that let me do that.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 09:23 PM

Like I said before, with a bit Applescript knowledge you can do all that and more with iTunes and save $24.95.

http://www.apple.com/applescript/itunes/index.html - Don't forget to follow the third-party links on that page to find some interesting ones like "Search for Lyrics", "Playlist to HTML", and "Get Artwork from Amazon.com".

-

3R1C
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2004, 03:42 AM

iTunes. Ive tried them all and iTunes beats them all. I tag between 50 and 100 albums weekly.
3R1C

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2004, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by jtaylr77:
Does iTunes actually edit the tag though? I sat down and edited all songs via iTunes but when I burned them to disc and put them on another computer, all my work was gone. I assumed that is wrote changes to some library file and not the actual MP3. Is this true?
No iTunes edits the ID3 tags fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules