Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PB for $1350? is this good?

12" PB for $1350? is this good?
ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2004, 12:31 PM

I've found two websites that have the PB G4 12", 867 Mhz with superdrive going new for $1350-$1399. They're claiming a $300 reduction.

What does anybody know about this machine--is this a good deal?

I was planning on buying a new G4 ibook, but when I stumbled upon these prices I'm now wondering if I should buy this powerbook instead. I'm replacing a Powerbook G3 (4 yrs. old).

Also in reading the specs it has OS X v.10.2 Jaguar installed, not Panther. Everyone's raving about Panther.

And is a superdrive better than a combo drive? I'd appreciate hearing from others as I haven't shopped for a Mac in 5 years and am learning alot as I make a decision.

Thanks everyone,

ClaraT:

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2004, 02:35 PM

They are great machines. Apple sells them for $1399 at the Apple store (click on Special Deals) from time to time-usually every few days.

If burning DVDs is not important to you, then don't get the Superdrive. Get the 1GHz machine with combo drive for $1349.

These machines ship with Jaguar installed, and they put a Panther upgrade CD in the box. So no worries there.

Chris

Tek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2004, 02:41 PM

I got my revA combo for $1080 w/ a free isight from amazon.com... that was a good deal... Usually the superdrive option tacks on another $200. I got mine about a month and a half ago when most of the revA's were about $150 more than mine b/c amazon was having a stock clearing sale... i'd say that $1300-$1350 are about the going rate right now for a revA w/ superdrive... not a great deal, but definitely not a bad deal either... Take chabig's advice... if a superdrive isn't absolutely necessary you can save about $200 and get a normal combo revA or get the newer RevA for roughly the same price... a little more really....

May God Be With You.
-Matt

macross
Feb 3, 2004, 03:43 PM

That price isn't all that attractive in my opinon for a Rev-A model 12" PB. For $1350 i can get the Rev-B (current model 12"pb) at that price with a free airport extreme card. But that has to do with the fact that i am college student and get the fat ass $300-400 discount off apple pb's and desktops. Super drive vs. combo drive, thats subjective as to whether or not you need the burning capability for DVDs? If not, then no, a super drive isn't going to be better than a combo drive since you'll have no use for it.

toshigen
Feb 3, 2004, 03:53 PM

The Rev. A models also don't have a DVI video out port. Which may be unimportant to some... but would matter to me since I will be sharing one monitor between a Mac and PC (once I get my new G5 Powerbook).

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2004, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by toshigen:
The Rev. A models also don't have a DVI video out port. Which may be unimportant to some... but would matter to me since I will be sharing one monitor between a Mac and PC (once I get my new G5 Powerbook).

AAAagggghh!! Decisions, decisions! You guys have made this a new option with your positive feedback. I thought I was all set to go with a 14" ibook for $1295. But it doesn't come with Bluetooth installed and having a superdrive means I can save my files to a dvd --thus eliminating an external hard drive for backing up data, right?

Since this is the Powerbook forum, I'm sure you'll be biased in favor of PBs. Sounds like this is a respectable machine and you get a lot more for your dollar, or am I caught up in the prestige of Powerbook and the belief that it's a much better machine than the ibook.? I've read alot lately. . .maybe too much on how the new ibooks are just as good as the Powerbooks for the money.

And what is Rev-A? Did these PBs come out quite awhile ago?

thanks again,

Clara T

ice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2004, 06:35 PM

I too am looking to buy my first mac and want a 12" pb. I dont like the ibooks as well for the sole point of their looks over the sharp pbs. That and they are missing many nice features like the tv-out. I've been reading up on here and other places online and I'd say thats a decent price. I'm gonna go through apples education discount and order through them to get mine at about that same price but Im gonna wait a few months before I order. Waiting sucks. I want one now but cant afford it presently...

Good luck in finding a laptop thats right for you.

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2004, 07:21 PM

Clara: Rev A means the first "revision" (ie introductory model) of a particular model. In other words, the 12" PB which has now been upgraded to 1 ghz chip speed is now the Rev B.

Personally, I'd stay away from the 12" Rev A model. A significant percentage of that model had overheating problems on the left palm rest (and by the power-in port.) It was enough of an issue that it acquired the nickname of "firebook." Apple spokespeople mentioned that the heating issue was something they dealt with in the Rev B, thereby tacitly admitting that overheating was a problem. Apple never publicly admitted the problem.

This issue didn't affect all the Rev A powerbooks, so a lot of people who bought it never saw it as an issue. However, those who got a "firebook" really, really complained about it. If there's a way for you to preview the individual 12" Rev A that you'd end up getting, namely using it with some activity for at least 6 hours, then you might consider it. Just keep in mind that most of the complaints talked about how bad it was on hot days (eg at home with no a/c, in crowded classrooms trying to take notes--where the noisy hairdryer fan speed really was objectionable.) If it's hot on a cold day, it's going to be overheating in the summertime.

If you're backing up huge video files, you'd need a dvd drive. For common everyday backups, a combo drive is sufficient, especially considering that you can buy loads of CD-R for free after rebates (OfficeMax currently is selling Imation 50-disk spindle for $0 after rebates.)

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2004, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by amazing:
Clara: Rev A means the first "revision" (ie introductory model) of a particular model. In other words, the 12" PB which has now been upgraded to 1 ghz chip speed is now the Rev B.

Personally, I'd stay away from the 12" Rev A model. A significant percentage of that model had overheating problems on the left palm rest (and by the power-in port.) It was enough of an issue that it acquired the nickname of "firebook." Apple spokespeople mentioned that the heating issue was something they dealt with in the Rev B, thereby tacitly admitting that overheating was a problem. Apple never publicly admitted the problem.

This issue didn't affect all the Rev A powerbooks, so a lot of people who bought it never saw it as an issue. However, those who got a "firebook" really, really complained about it. If there's a way for you to preview the individual 12" Rev A that you'd end up getting, namely using it with some activity for at least 6 hours, then you might consider it. Just keep in mind that most of the complaints talked about how bad it was on hot days (eg at home with no a/c, in crowded classrooms trying to take notes--where the noisy hairdryer fan speed really was objectionable.) If it's hot on a cold day, it's going to be overheating in the summertime.

If you're backing up huge video files, you'd need a dvd drive. For common everyday backups, a combo drive is sufficient, especially considering that you can buy loads of CD-R for free after rebates (OfficeMax currently is selling Imation 50-disk spindle for $0 after rebates.)
Amazing, you're a champ, thanks!
And thanks to everyone else who took the time to educate me.

I really appreciate discovering this forum and your input and comments sounded like I was talking to a wise friend. . .another nice aspect of being a "Maccer".

So with your objective, sound advice and also locating another discussion thread on the heat issue I'm back to the coin toss of the 12 or 14 ibook. No offense to the powerbookers here, but for who I am and what I do at the present time I think a brand new G4 ibook will be just fine. . .

ClaraT

Forum Links
Forum Rules