Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ichat 2.1 for 600mhz g3?

ichat 2.1 for 600mhz g3?
MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2004, 01:47 AM

I have a 500 MHz ibook and I use it with iMovie just fine. Apple has imposed this artificial restriction where iChat sees that my computer is 500 mhz and in the ichat preferences under video it says "This computer does not support video conferencing" This really sucks I mean I just got a digital video camera and I'm all set for this app...now I have to go out and buy a new mac...i'm not ready to do that.

I heard there is a restriction like this for soundtrack and someone hacked it and got it working with a slower computer. Something about one of the preferences files? Does anyone know a hack for ichat 2.1 ?

I was looking at the ichat bundle in the terminal yesterday and was poking through all the resources files using the vi editor. If there is a setting in one of those files I can't find it.

Help here please...If i can't get this to work I'll have to buy a firewire card for my crappy dell pc that I bought on ebay so that I could learn some special optical design software for my job (trying to get ahead)

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2004, 11:58 AM

The restriction is there for a reason. It is possible to lift it. But the performance will be so bad, you will wish you never bothered.
Have a look at this.
http://www.ecamm.com/mac/ichatusbcam/

Just prepare for everything to get seriously slow and get used to seeing that spinning beach ball an awful lot.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

JellyBeen
Senior User
Feb 7, 2004, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by MAlan:
I have a 500 MHz ibook and I use it with iMovie just fine. Apple has imposed this artificial restriction where iChat sees that my computer is 500 mhz and in the ichat preferences under video it says "This computer does not support video conferencing" This really sucks I mean I just got a digital video camera and I'm all set for this app...now I have to go out and buy a new mac...i'm not ready to do that.

I heard there is a restriction like this for soundtrack and someone hacked it and got it working with a slower computer. Something about one of the preferences files? Does anyone know a hack for ichat 2.1 ?

I was looking at the ichat bundle in the terminal yesterday and was poking through all the resources files using the vi editor. If there is a setting in one of those files I can't find it.

Help here please...If i can't get this to work I'll have to buy a firewire card for my crappy dell pc that I bought on ebay so that I could learn some special optical design software for my job (trying to get ahead)
You can see my specs at the bottom, I use the ecamm software and it works really good.You need to quit all applications that are running and quit the Finder too.You will not have any problems if you also have enough Ram.Audio chat of course is no problem. I find that I get better performance if I restart first.
Tell us how it goes.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

Forum Links
Forum Rules