Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes: weighted playsists

iTunes: weighted playsists
kman42
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 04:56 PM

I wish that you could get iTunes/iPods to play songs by a weighted amount depending on rating. For instance, I like to have a random playlist of my highest rated song, but I also like to hear some of my 3 stars some times. I think it would be cool if you could create a smart playlist that instead of just being random you could set weights for each rating for the likelihood it will be included. that way you could get a 3 star song periodically.

kman

higuy83
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2004, 02:29 AM

If I am understanding you correctly, you can do almost exactly (if not exactly) what you are describing. Just make a Smart Playlist that has your ratings in the range of, say, 3-5 stars. Next check the checkbox to limit the list to, say, 50 songs selected by random.

This is what I do to get a random mix of songs with three stars or higher. Hope that helps.

-Brian
15" MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM
iPod classic (160 GB)
iPod nano (4 GB)
iPod shuffle (1 GB)

saranwarp
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2004, 06:21 AM

Brian, what he wants is for the 5- and 4-star songs to appear MORE OFTEN than the 3-star songs.

higuy83
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2004, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by saranwarp:
Brian, what he wants is for the 5- and 4-star songs to appear MORE OFTEN than the 3-star songs.
Oh, never mind then.

-Brian
15" MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM
iPod classic (160 GB)
iPod nano (4 GB)
iPod shuffle (1 GB)

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2004, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by saranwarp:
Yeah. that's right.

3R1C
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2004, 07:10 PM

So basically you want smart playlists with an option to place more entries of a song based on the songs rating. Example: A song rated a 5 would have 5 different entries in the playlist. A song rated a 1 would have 1 entry. Hmm what if its not rated.... I know. If the song is not rated it apears 1 time. If its rated it apears 1 time PLUS a number of times equal to the rating. So a song rated a 5 would appear a total of 6 times. Then if the playlist was played "Randomly" a song rated a 5 would be 5 times more likely to be played than a song rated a 1.

Sounds like a job for applescript. The script would take a playlist and then enumerate through the tracks in that playlist. Based on each songs rating, it would add that many more instances of the song to the playlist.
3R1C

Forum Links
Forum Rules