Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mary Kate's (of "& Ashley Olsen" fame) intervention, anorexia [jpg]

Mary Kate's (of "& Ashley Olsen" fame) intervention, anorexia [jpg]
funkboy
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2004, 07:12 PM

http://et.tv.yahoo.com/celebrities/2...nintervention/

Apparently Mary-Kate got checked into a professional treatment center for anorexia before her 18th birthday, so her family could have legal control over her and get her some help.

Quite sad... I wonder what was the driving factor that made her not eat? Was it the pressure of looking good? The pressure of being famous for so long in one's life, hoping that you're good enough, full of self-doubt and questioning?

I know they looked horribly skinny recently... as in here:

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2004, 07:21 PM

Anorexia is a very serious illness. I pray that Mary Kate will fully recovery. Family support is very important in treatment. It sounds as though she has that.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2004, 07:48 PM

sucks, glad she is getting help. after she gets better i'll hit it.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2004, 08:18 PM

I agree. Sucks she has a problem, but so do thousands of women. What makes her so special? Best of luck to her but I don't care any more than I would if it was a stranger. That doesn't sound right - I care, but she is no more special or in need of help than any other woman with the same problem...

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by funkboy:
HAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAAHAHHAA

Ladies and gentlemen, presenting Anne Frank...CLONED!

velodev
Senior User
Jun 24, 2004, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by CD Hanks:
HAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAAHAHHAA

Congratulations on taking a serious thread and making it a place to reveal your idiocy.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 09:40 PM

I do not know which is sadder:

Mary Kate for having this ailment
The media for sensationalising it
The public for following it
Us for discussing it.

Is this news? I think not.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
I agree. Sucks she has a problem, but so do thousands of women. What makes her so special? Best of luck to her but I don't care any more than I would if it was a stranger. That doesn't sound right - I care, but she is no more special or in need of help than any other woman with the same problem...
I hear what you're saying. It seems that when a "celebrity" has something like Michael J. Fox (Parkinson's), Ronald Reagan (Alzheimer), and so on people suddenly take notice. What about those who are just the average Joe and Janes of the world, why don't people raise money and hold benefits for them when they're ill? I guess it's the fame and celebrity status. Sad when you think about it.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 09:43 PM

I've met her, and yeah, she is really tiny. Not just skinny, but like, her whole frame is small.

Hopefully she gets better soon.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2004, 09:49 PM

HAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAAHAHHAA

Wow.

Rarely has anyone managed to so utterly expose and disgrace himself in so few words.

Not since Jansar, anyway.

-s*

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2004, 09:50 PM

They're about five feet tall.

Good for her for getting treatment. Anorexia is a serious illness that affects millions of people. Hopefully someone who's secretly struggling with it will seek help after hearing about MK.

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2004, 09:53 PM

Eh, she could drop a few more pounds.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2004, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by _?_:

Us for discussing it.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2004, 10:04 PM

I WOULD HIT THAT

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2004, 10:08 PM

Us for discussing it.

If it helps others get through and find help for themselves, it was worth discussing it.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Wow.

Rarely has anyone managed to so utterly expose and disgrace himself in so few words.

-s*
What did Jansar do?

Sod Off Sadr
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: I sent hundreds of followers to their deaths. Then I cut and ran. Now I'm livin' large somewhere in Najaf.
Jun 24, 2004, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by Dex13:
What did Jansar do?
Nothing. Spheric just disagrees with him on politics, and they get into spats, so he's taking a cheap shot in the Lounge in this topic.
You heard me! Sod off, Sadr!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2004, 10:29 PM

Us for discussing it.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2004, 11:28 PM

Why?

I want to see a healthy MK....

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 24, 2004, 11:43 PM

Us for discussing it.

I don't think it's something that needs to be pushed into the closet.

I remember when Karen Carpenter died. No one really heard about it before then. Even though it effected many.

george68
Banned
Jun 25, 2004, 12:44 AM

Maybe she wouldn't have this disease if she just realized how fat she is and started eating right and exercising.

- Rob

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 25, 2004, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by george68:
Maybe she wouldn't have this disease if she just realized how fat she is and started eating right and exercising.

- Rob
She was never fat.

Atomic Rooster
Jun 25, 2004, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I remember when Karen Carpenter died. No one really heard about it before then. Even though it effected many.
She died 21 years ago. That would have made you...what...4 or 5 years old?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 25, 2004, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by Atomic Rooster:
She died 21 years ago. That would have made you...what...4 or 5 years old?
10/11

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I don't think it's something that needs to be pushed into the closet.

Where did I say push it to the closet?

Yes she should seek help from FAMILY and FRIENDS (and not those hacks in the sitcom). From people who actually care about her and can help her, who will treat her with dignity as a person with a problem, not as a celebrity whose every life trouble needs to be documented.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 03:14 AM

Us for discussing it.

Well said.

So how 'bout those Pistons?
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jun 25, 2004, 04:07 AM

I think we can introduce a new game: name one celebrity who doesn`t have a problem.
Stardom sends more people to hospitals than a few serious diseases combined.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 05:05 AM

Originally posted by velodev:
Congratulations on taking a serious thread and making it a place to reveal your idiocy.
Oh, you card!
Wow.

-s*
Better call the internet police. Because the internet is serious business.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2004, 05:12 AM

Anorexia sure is. And last I checked, Anne Frank isn't funny except to a handful of braindead Nazis.

But hey, let's all joke - badly - about your dead grandparents, or your mom's cancer.

C'mon, be a sport: It's all in good fun. You know - the internet!

-s*

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 05:15 AM

Anorexia sure is. And last I checked, Anne Frank isn't funny except to a handful of braindead Nazis.

But hey, let's all joke - badly - about your dead grandparents, or your mom's cancer.

C'mon, be a sport: It's all in good fun. You know - the internet!

-s*
Anorexia can be funny. Doubly so with some airhead twit like an olson twin. If she were to kick the bucket next week, you'd get another week or two of press coverage, and after that no one would really care.

(nice stealth edit)

edit: INTERNET

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2004, 05:42 AM

Anorexia can be funny. Doubly so with some airhead twit like an olson twin. If she were to kick the bucket next week, you'd get another week or two of press coverage, and after that no one would really care.
Which leaves the Anne Frank part as testament to your remarkable sense of humor.

-s*

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 05:46 AM

Which leaves the Anne Frank part as testament to your remarkable sense of humor.

-s*
If you're waiting for some remark on my part for you to pounce on...you're not getting it.

It was simply to be in bad taste.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2004, 05:51 AM

Succeeded.

I'll let it rest.

-s*

ryju
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2004, 08:27 AM

Still looks like an alien to me.

Brother for sale, 25 cents, you can hug him you can bug him you can buy or rent!

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 08:46 AM

I knew a number of women in college who suffered from eating disorders. It was a high-powered women's college and the stress to excel sometimes resulted in eating disorders. One woman in my dorm was told one day by her boyfriend that she was fat. That flipped a switch, and from then on all she would eat each day was a single hamburger and 5 green beans. If a sixth bean fell in the pot, she would fish it out. She became so emaciated that she had to drop out just a few weeks before her graduation. Two other women in my dorm were bulimic. Ironically, one of them hoped to go to medical school. She had no social life. She binged, purged, and studied. Whole loaves of bread disappeared from the dining hall into her room, but she became thinner and thinner. At that time I don't think we really understood why they were doing this to themselves.

Usually the victims are middle- to upper-class young women, bright and accomplished. Weight is one thing they feel they have control over in a world full of external pressures to achieve, to be thin, to be attractive.

It is difficult to treat because the victims are usually in denial; they look in the mirror at their emaciated bodies and still say "fat". A sign of the times: the building next to mine has been converted from a facility for psychotic patients to a treatment center for young women with eating disorders.

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2004, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by voyageur:
I knew a number of women in college who suffered from eating disorders. ... Whole loaves of bread disappeared from the dining hall into her room, but she became thinner and thinner. At that time I don't think we really understood why they were doing this to themselves.
This is exactly why things like this need to be publicized - some people do not realize the problem here. "Oh, she's just on a diet... and it's going well, but she doesn't look as normal as she used to."

Usually the victims are middle- to upper-class young women, bright and accomplished. Weight is one thing they feel they have control over in a world full of external pressures to achieve, to be thin, to be attractive.
This just makes me sad reading that... otherwise successful women who are seriously hurting themselves. Yikes.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jun 25, 2004, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by voyageur:
It is difficult to treat because the victims are usually in denial; they look in the mirror at their emaciated bodies and still say "fat". A sign of the times: the building next to mine has been converted from a facility for psychotic patients to a treatment center for young women with eating disorders.
Such "body image/dysmorphic disorders" are on the rise. Women are still in the lead-but men are catching up.
The thing that makes it difficult to treat is-like you say-that they are in denial about it.
But: they deny it because their brain structure has changed. It`s similar to people who deny having a left arm after a stroke.
Their brains "forget" that arm-therefore it doesn`t exist any longer.
Treatment has to change their brains in order for it to be effective.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2004, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by Chemmy:
Eh, she could drop a few more pounds.
That is exactly what her inner voice is telling. She sees herself as fat.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2004, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by wdlove:
sees herself as fat.
FIXED�

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 12:13 PM

for people who think they are "too fat" three things need to happen:

1) realize that being "fat" is not a matter of opinion, but an actual "tangeable" condition. any physician can tell you if you are overweight or not.-

2) should said person actually be determined to be "overweight" (not due to medical reasons like "obeisity") that person needs to be furnished with ALL the information, time (to excersise), and healthy food necessary for them to reach a healthy weight again.

3) act

the reason most people feel they need to lose weight has nothing actually to do how "fat" or skinny they are, but with a sense of not being "integrated". it's just a symptom, NOT THE CAUSE. the mass media just ads to peolple's fears and insecurities, but also is not the root cause.

the real problem is "reward" thinking.

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2004, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
That is exactly what her inner voice is telling. She sees herself as fat.
Actually, a lot of anorexic people just never have an appetite. It's not a conscious "I'm fat, can't eat", people who think that are more often than not bulemic.

I'm 5'11", 125lbs, and I like to date girls my build or smaller, which normally equates to about 5'6" and around 100lbs. Unfortunately that means I date a lot of anorexics.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2004, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Chemmy:
Actually, a lot of anorexic people just never have an appetite. It's not a conscious "I'm fat, can't eat", people who think that are more often than not bulemic.

I'm 5'11", 125lbs, and I like to date girls my build or smaller, which normally equates to about 5'6" and around 100lbs. Unfortunately that means I date a lot of anorexics.
Not being hungry and being anorexic are two very, very different things.

Being skinny and having an eating disorder are very different.

There seems to be a dangerous lack of knowledge and desire to help people overcome eating disorder problems in this thread... yikes.

brapper
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2004, 03:32 AM

i'm 21. i remember when i was in grade four talking to the only other guy in my class that thought girls were hot and us agreeing that one day the olsen twins would be the hottest ever.

we weren't far off, but alas we were nonetheless wrong.

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2004, 11:47 AM

Not being hungry and being anorexic are two very, very different things.

Being skinny and having an eating disorder are very different.

There seems to be a dangerous lack of knowledge and desire to help people overcome eating disorder problems in this thread... yikes.
I don't think you can read.

I'm well aware that not having an appetite doesn't automatically make one anorexic. I'm also well aware that being skinny doesn't mean someone has an eating disorder, being skinny myself.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2004, 12:40 PM

I know they looked horribly skinny recently... as in here:
Looks fine to me.
Is every woman who's not 300 Lbs classed as anorexic over there or what?

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Jun 26, 2004, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Looks fine to me.
How does she look fine to any of you? She looks like a Bobble-Head figure.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2004, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Looks fine to me.
She does not look fine. I'm sure if you saw her chest (not that you pervert) you would see some very clearly defined ribs

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by Jaey:
She does not look fine. I'm sure if you saw her chest (not that you pervert) you would see some very clearly defined ribs
As seen here.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 01:45 AM

Originally posted by zachs:
As seen here.
Exactly.

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 11:17 AM

Pretty sad that we reward and encourage such disorders, as if it is not enough for women to deal with their appearance, the media we buy and watch and listen to making money out of our fantasies reinforcing the belief that thin is better, if not the ONLY thing.

People die from anorexia, either from suicide or malnutrition (dramatic drop of potassium).

Yesterday, I was watching The Sopranos (season 4, episode 13 I think), the episode where Svetlana was explaining to Tony that nowhere else in the world are people expecting to be Happy except in America (let's include Canada in this without being political) and that still, in that country, people were managing to look for their problems.

There is something about living a full life that talks about our person as a whole rather than our appearance, or parts of it I guess...
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

Forum Links
Forum Rules