Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Microsoft takes over OSX?

Microsoft takes over OSX?
DomDom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2004, 06:30 AM

I heard a terrible rumor last night and I don't believe a word of it.

I was speaking to a PC techie fella and got into the typical mac V PC. He told me that Bill (meglomaniac) Gates is buying into apple so he can take over The OS operating system. Another monopoly. I'm not against the good old capitalism, I just don't like the thought of MS owning OSX or XI!

I've never heard of anything like this before and find it hard to believe. Maybe this guy just thinks MS is wonderful and had to defend the company, who knows.

Any way has anyone heard anything about this?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2004, 06:50 AM

M$ used to own a stake in Apple, but I'm not sure if they still do.

M$ doesn't need to take over Apple and it has a financial interest in Apple staying viable, because with Apple and it's (small but steady) marketshare, it keeps M$ from being enough of a monopoly that Congress would force it to break up.

And honestly, the old days of us vs them is about as dated as the Cold War. M$ makes some decent applications for the Mac platform, and Apple is making some noise on the other side of the fence with the iPod and iTunes.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2004, 07:16 AM

Microsoft bought $150 million in Apple stocks in 1997 (which at the time was somewhere around 1/40 of the company - certainly NOT enough to be influential on company politics). At the same time, Apple and Microsoft signed a deal no longer to sue each other for copying "look-and-feel" elements of the operating systems, IIRC.

Microsoft sold their stock a year or two later and have held no Apple stock since.

No, you are misinformed and your friend is full of ****.

-s*

(company pluralized with a tip o' the old hat to Mr Randman, there.)

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2004, 07:19 AM

I think it's perfectly proper to break the rules and always refer to M$ as "it", but thanks for remembering.

DomDom  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2004, 07:38 AM

No, you are misinformed and your friend is full of ****.

-s*
Actually he is not a friend and I quit the conversation at that point. Still it always surprises me ( it shouldn't) how vigarously some people ignorantly defent M$ and PC in general. They have never even owned or used a mac ( let aline OSX) but they seem to know every negative thing about them NOT!

It's no point arguing with them, I just smile because I know better.

I new it couldn't be true but thought I would ask you guys anyway.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2004, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
I think it's perfectly proper to break the rules and always refer to M$ as "it", but thanks for remembering.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 15, 2004, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Microsoft sold their stock a year or two later and have held no Apple stock since.
can't say i've ever heard that part before. let's say i wanted to smack down a pc user with it, next time one is telling me that "Bill Gates owns Apple, everyone knows that," where's my proof?
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2004, 08:34 AM

Umm, why don't you just call the person an idiot? Only complete morons claim that MS bought Apple. I know that the stock, which were actually non-voting shares, was to be sold off in seven years if not sooner. It was tantamount to a pay-off, because Apple had proof MS's hands were in the QuickTime cookie jar.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 09:21 AM

That wouldn't go over really well with the DOJ. It won't ever happen !

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2004, 10:39 AM

DomDom,

I have been requested by the Nigerian National Petroleum Company to contact you for assistance in resolving a matter. The Nigerian National Petroleum Company has recently concluded a large number of contracts for oil exploration in the sub-Sahara region. The contracts have immediately produced moneys equalling US$40,000,000. The Nigerian National Petroleum Company is desirous of oil exploration in other parts of the world, however, because of certain regulations of the Nigerian Government, it is unable to move these funds to another region...

I.E. Don't believe everything you hear, especially from PC bigots.
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2004, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
That wouldn't go over really well with the DOJ. It won't ever happen !
Ya won't happen. PC trolls. If M$ ever controlled Apple, I'd sell my Mac.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 15, 2004, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
and do what? buy a pc? wow, that makes great sense.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2004, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
and do what? buy a pc? wow, that makes great sense.
Nah, I'll just Linux or fire up my SGI.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 15, 2004, 11:44 AM

Nah, I'll just Linux or fire up my SGI.
newsflash: linux runs on the Mac that you already own! *gasp*

ryju
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2004, 11:58 AM

Steve Jobs is my hero! I salute him.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2004, 12:04 PM

Ya, I forget about that.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2004, 12:32 PM

can't say i've ever heard that part before. let's say i wanted to smack down a pc user with it, next time one is telling me that "Bill Gates owns Apple, everyone knows that," where's my proof?
I seem to recall having read it here, with substantiated links. Search turns up nought, though.

Google tells me 150 million dollars in non-voting stock (out of $4 billion that Apple was worth at the time) and pledge to continue developing Office for Mac in return for making IE the Mac's default browser and dropping IP lawsuits. They sold that stock in 2001, shortly before the stock split, when Apple stock was at a high point.
(My only link for now: http://philip.greenspun.com/shared/c...user_id=260951 )

I'll keep searching.

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2004, 12:37 PM

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2004, 01:47 PM

Through the 1990s, Microsoft began to gain a much larger percentage of new computer users than Apple. As a result Apple fell from controlling 20% of the total personal computer market to 5% by the end of the decade. The company was struggling financially when on August 6, 1997 Microsoft bought a $150 million non-voting share of company as a result of a court settlement between themselves and Apple. (Microsoft has since sold all Apple stock holdings.) Perhaps more significantly, Microsoft simultaneously announced its continued support for Mac versions of its office suite, Microsoft Office and soon created a Macintosh Software Unit. This reversed the earlier trend within Microsoft that resulted in poor Mac versions of their software and resulted in several award-winning releases.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2004, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by angelmb:
Microsoft simultaneously announced its continued support for Mac versions of its office suite, Microsoft Office and soon created a Macintosh Software Unit. This reversed the earlier trend within Microsoft that resulted in poor Mac versions of their software and resulted in several award-winning releases.
The Mac BU does quite well. You should have your PC troll friends read up on that part of M$.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2004, 03:07 PM

Your PC "friend" is obviously suffering from the rampant cranial-rectal inversion affliction that is typical of their ilk.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 03:32 PM

MS owns teh Mac O$ X!!!
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 08:03 PM

Proof? What proof? It's so retardedly false that it's ridiculous. It's like saying, "next time someone says the sky is green, where's my proof it's really blue?"

Here's the relevant press releases:

http://web.archive.org/web/200106272...microsoft.html
http://www.apple.com/ca/press/1997_0...Microsoft.html
  • The companies agreed to a broad patent cross-licensing agreement. It paves the way for the two companies to work more closely on leading-edge technologies for the Mac platform.
  • Microsoft will develop and ship future versions of its popular Microsoft Office productivity suite, Internet Explorer and other Microsoft tools for the Mac platform.
  • Apple will bundle the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser with the Mac OS, making it the default browser in future operating system software releases.
  • Apple and Microsoft plan to collaborate on technology to ensure compatibility between their respective Virtual Machines for Java and other programming languages.
  • To further support its relationship with Apple, Microsoft will invest $150 million in non-voting Apple stock.

It was $150M of *non-voting* shares, at a time when Apple had over one billion in cash on hand, and was at least a $5B company. Apple didn't need to be "bailed out", and it didn't need the $150M.

It was, however, an extremely symbolic commitment at a time when many weren't too sure about Apple's future. Remember, this was before the iMac, and LONG before Mac OS X.

In any case, Microsoft divested itself of Apple long, long ago, and it might be worth nothing that Microsoft also made a tidy profit. Microsoft doesn't "own" Apple, never was close, and never will.
( Last edited by piracy; Aug 15, 2004 at 08:08 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2004, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by piracy:
In any case, Microsoft divested itself of Apple long, long ago, and it might be worth nothing that Microsoft also made a tidy profit.
If you'll read closely, that is precisely the information philzilla was looking to verify.

I note that you don't provide supporting links for that, either.

-s*

redJag
Senior User
Aug 16, 2004, 12:05 AM

Dunno if they have shares but they aren't a major holder for sure

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=AAPL
Travis Sanderson

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2004, 01:38 AM

It's always proper to refer to a company as "it." The company is a singular entity, and normally does not have a gender.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 16, 2004, 03:14 AM

If you'll read closely, that is precisely the information philzilla was looking to verify.
exactly.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2004, 08:54 AM

The Mac BU does quite well. You should have your PC troll friends read up on that part of M$.
Think about Mac Word 6 and 'mates'

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2004, 09:23 AM

Think about Mac Word 6 and 'mates'
That was long before the Mac Business Unit existed.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2004, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
It's always proper to refer to a company as "it." The company is a singular entity, and normally does not have a gender.
It can also be correctly referred to as a plural entity.

The reference was to this thread, where Randman got abusive over the issue and was quickly handed his shorts on a silver platter.

He now takes the short bus to school.

-s*

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2004, 01:26 PM

Yes, the short bus has fewer zealots and there's always a window seat available. Plus, you actually know who are the chuckleheads right off the bat.

mikerally
Senior User
Aug 16, 2004, 03:42 PM

Actually in British English (the official English language of the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and all former British Colonies that continue to use English such as South Africa and many many others) you can refer to a company in plural, and even a sports team.

e.g. Apple are great! or The Chicago Bulls are great!

Also, considering that we don't have any problems refering to physical objects by gender (e.g. when refering to a ship, Enterprise, what a fine ship she is) - it is possible that the in evolution of our language we may possibly refer to companies in the same manner?

Remember language is constantly ever evolving, none of us speak English exactly like the people 100 years ago. We have invented new words for ourselves, e.g. here in Britain "texting" is a new verb that refers to the action of sending someone an SMS message.

There is no point arguing over it, educated or not, dialects change the way we speak dramatically. And we all come from far away places here.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 16, 2004, 03:46 PM

we've had all that, so let's get back to slinging mud at Redmond.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2004, 02:04 AM

we've had all that, so let's get back to slinging mud at Redmond.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 17, 2004, 02:22 AM

Yeah I remember back in the day when Wintendoids were doing the "MS 0wnz most of MAC" rants.

When I pointed out it wasn't NEARLY close to half, and that those shares were NON-VOTING shares, they always reverted to "Oh, it's going to h4pp3n"

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 02:23 AM

But if M$ would purchase Apple, they would own both the OS and the hardware. I'd buy all non-M$ hardware and install Gentoo. Makes perfect sense to me!
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 02:31 AM

Microsoft bought $150 million in Apple stocks in 1997 (which at the time was somewhere around 1/40 of the company - certainly NOT enough to be influential on company politics).
Also, it was non-voting stock.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2004, 02:37 AM

Originally posted by bstone:
But if M$ would purchase Apple, they would own both the OS and the hardware. I'd buy all non-M$ hardware and install Gentoo. Makes perfect sense to me!
Bah, I _tried_ to install Gentoo lately... It's a mess! I stick with SuSE. Gentoo's install routine really isn't intuitive at all.
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by HOMBRESINIESTRO:
Bah, I _tried_ to install Gentoo lately... It's a mess! I stick with SuSE. Gentoo's install routine really isn't intuitive at all.
No one ever said Gentoo was easy, but damn fast and the emerge system is sooooo nice!

Other than Gentoo, I'd run RHL or Fedora.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Thorzdad
Aug 17, 2004, 04:13 PM

Things like this always remind me of just how wide the gulf is sometimes between Mac and Windows people. I'm the lone Mac in a Windows development shop, and it's amazing the level of disinformation-passing-as-truth there is among people intelligent enough to know better.

Yes, I hear the "Bill Gates owns Apple" meme all the time. Others I continue to regularly hear are: "Apple is going out of business"
"I didn't know MS made Word for the Mac"
"Apple is moving to Intel chips"
"Apple is already using Intel chips"
"Apple is moving OSX to Wintel platform"
"There's no software for Macs"
"Macs only do graphics"
"Macs are really expensive" (still a hard one to prove otherwise, for the most part, unfortunately. They are still a bit pricey. Especially when you work with people who can easily roll their own god-box)
As well as all the various "Macs don't work on a Windows network" threads.

The thing is, they seem genuinely amazed when explained how wrong they are. I really do believe that these things are held as "known, undeniable truth" in the Windows world, and are not just troll-bait.

Old Toad
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2004, 07:27 PM

You know you can't trust anyone from the "darkside".

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2004, 10:36 PM

Yeah, didn't Kevin Brown--revered former head of the Mac BU at Microsoft--tout that on a percentage basis Office for Mac made more money for M$ than the PC version. (I think he said this at the rollout of Mac Office for OS X.)

Of course this just simply confirms that M$ undercuts their PC software profit margins to gain a monopolistic market share. But I do like Office on my Mac. And when someone at my work comes to me with a thorny Word/Excel/PowerPoint problem, if I can't solve it on my PC I just fire up my Mac and do it there. That ALWAYS gets them looking all bug-eyed as they leave.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2004, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by dcmacdaddy:
Of course this just simply confirms that M$ undercuts their PC software profit margins to gain a monopolistic market share.
I thought it was the other way round?

they make most of their money not off Windows, but off Office, IIRC.

Old Toad
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2004, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by dcmacdaddy:
But I do like Office on my Mac.
Yes, MS Office is a killer apt or rather killer suite of apps. Using any MS software is like dancing with the devil, but in this case the devil sure do dance good.

nuggetman
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2004, 10:53 AM

BZZZZT! Wrong! FreeBSD runs on the Mac that you already own

and MS wouldn't be interested in owning any of Apple's stuff, they AREN'T DIRECT COMPETITIORS! MS is a software company, Apple is a hardware company that has the perk of a nice OS.

nuggetman
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2004, 10:55 AM

Through the 1990s, Microsoft began to gain a much larger percentage of new computer users than Apple. As a result Apple fell from controlling 20% of the total personal computer market to 5% by the end of the decade.
Apple never, EVER, had a 20% marketshare. They may have been in the low tens or possibly even low teens with the Apple II, but Macitosh marketshare has never exceeded single digits.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2004, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by nuggetman:
They both run just fine on a Mac. One is just installed by default.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2004, 02:03 PM

Apple never, EVER, had a 20% marketshare. They may have been in the low tens or possibly even low teens with the Apple II, but Macitosh marketshare has never exceeded single digits.
Actually I have heard the Apple II's market share as 20-30% on up to 60% of the personal computer market, depending on the source.
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2004, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by genevish:
Actually I have heard the Apple II's market share as 20-30% on up to 60% of the personal computer market, depending on the source.
This is true. it was around 50% between 1979 and 1982
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2004, 04:49 PM

and MS wouldn't be interested in owning any of Apple's stuff, they AREN'T DIRECT COMPETITIORS! MS is a software company, Apple is a hardware company that has the perk of a nice OS.
BZZZZT! Wrong! You can get a PPC Linux that will run "just fine on the Mac you already own."

The original poster did NOT say that Mac OS X = Linux.

Forum Links
Forum Rules