Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iBook software restore disks good on iMac?

iBook software restore disks good on iMac?
DomDom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2004, 05:35 AM

I just bought iBook software restore disks on ebay. They are on 7 disks. I've tried to install them on my 1 gig iMac 17" 10.2.8 and it seems to crash and not let me install 10.3.

Every time software install loads up it crashes.

Will the iBook disks work on any mac? I don't see why they shouldn't.

Am I doing something wrong?

DomDom  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2004, 03:45 AM

Is this in the wrong topic?

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Funny Bugga
Aug 17, 2004, 05:19 AM

Normally speaking the software restore CDs will work on any mac that supports the software being installed - in which case they should certainly work on your iMac.

I have used my software restore CDs from one computer on many different ones without trouble, so the problem you are describing sounds a bit strange. Maybe Apple has changed this policy now? Maybe your computer is just having a bad day! (week?)
Be nice to other people; they outnumber you 6 billion to one.

DomDom  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2004, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by Funny Bugga:
Normally speaking the software restore CDs will work on any mac that supports the software being installed - in which case they should certainly work on your iMac.

I have used my software restore CDs from one computer on many different ones without trouble, so the problem you are describing sounds a bit strange. Maybe Apple has changed this policy now? Maybe your computer is just having a bad day! (week?)
Are there only 7 software restore disks or should be seperate install disks?

Funny Bugga
Aug 17, 2004, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by DomDom:
Are there only 7 software restore disks or should be seperate install disks?
That sounds about right to me. Over the years it has gone from about 1 CD, to 2, 4 and 7 CDs. I think some newer Macs now just come with a Restore DVD instead.
Be nice to other people; they outnumber you 6 billion to one.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 08:17 PM

Back in the OS 9 days a restore disk for an iMac would only work on an iMac, iBook only on an iBook, etc. The installer would not let you install the software on another Mac. I don't know if this has changed but I would imagine that a "restore" disk (not "install") would only work on the hardware that it is meant for because it probably only includes the software pieces for the intended hardware while a general OS X install definitely includes drivers for all supported Apple hardware.

This could explain why your machine won't boot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules