Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Holy &#!+ iPod has 82 Percent Marketshare...

Holy &#!+ iPod has 82 Percent Marketshare... (Page 2)
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2004, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
What on EARTH are you talking about.

GO back to Bible Studying maybe.
Right, cause reading and meditating on scripture will help me write posts that you like... either that or you could stop being a troll.
My point was Discmans are still around kids have had them for a long time, thing is the iPod does what a Discman does but better. Thus a lot of teens who would normally have tons of CDs, simply carry them and all their pirated stuff with em.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 12, 2004, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
Stated accurately, Apple has 83% of the 'computer-hard-drive-based' portable music device market. There aren't many competitors in that niche.

Portable devices which play MP3 music account for 5X as many sales as 'computer-hard-drive-based' portable music devices.

So, in other words, Apple's iPod claims an 83% share of a mere 20% of the MP3 portable music device market.

For every six (give or take) portable MP3 devices sold, one is an iPod.
While the percentage isn't as great when looking at it like that, it's still pretty amazing. Thinking of just how long MP3 players have been around, and the fact that there are TONS of different brands and models, having 1 of every 6 sold be an iPod is a pretty high number.

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2004, 07:25 PM

I'm not surprise. Look at the competition (what competition??). All the other MP3 players on the market look like crap and cost almost as much as an iPod.

I haven't kept my eyes open for iPods on campus, but I've seen at least 3 other people with it (two of them are in one of my classes).

And about hiding the iPod in a bulky casing. Nope. I use a small ziploc bag

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2004, 07:37 PM

ambush
Banned
Oct 12, 2004, 07:39 PM

of HD based players.. that's normal if you ask me.

now where are the real numbers

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2004, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by Rain:
I'm not surprise. Look at the competition (what competition??). All the other MP3 players on the market look like crap and cost almost as much as an iPod.

I haven't kept my eyes open for iPods on campus, but I've seen at least 3 other people with it (two of them are in one of my classes).

And about hiding the iPod in a bulky casing. Nope. I use a small ziploc bag

ziplock .. hahaha ...

but that just looks supremely cheap n messy ... poor ipod .. lol

there's a guy at the gym i go to that does it .. i was thinking smart guy .. but i dont like the look .. i'm picky i guess!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2004, 08:15 PM

Kim told me that in her economics class her professor talked about the iPod and how it had changed the face of music portability and media sales. He then asked how many of the people in the class had portable MP3 players, and of the 35 students there, 28 raised their hands. Then he asked how many of that 28 had an iPod, 23 of them raised their hands (roughly 82%)... and all but one had their iPod with them. Also, more people had iPods than owned notebook computers. No, it's not scientific, but it is startling, IMO.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 12, 2004, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
now it's up to 92.1!!!!
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-5406519.html
Yeah I just caught that too. And the change happened in one year's time. That's pretty impressive considering that hard drive music players are becoming more and more common.

One thing is clear. The iPod truly is a quality product. Customer satisfaction is very high. There is no platform issues, and both Mac and PC users love it. And in all honesty, who can really say they miss WMA support on it? I don't know many people who have their music in WMA. MP3 is still the way to go.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2004, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
While the percentage isn't as great when looking at it like that, it's still pretty amazing. Thinking of just how long MP3 players have been around, and the fact that there are TONS of different brands and models, having 1 of every 6 sold be an iPod is a pretty high number.
I agree. 1/6th of any market in which you can beat Sony is damned impressive.

From observation, I'll suggest that fully half of portable MP3 device sales are simply CD players that support MP3 playback. These can be bought for $29 - and it only costs 25 cents to burn 100+ tracks onto a disk.

There is nothing competitive in that price range which offers 650MB of memory.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2004, 09:37 AM

I agree. 1/6th of any market in which you can beat Sony is damned impressive.

From observation, I'll suggest that fully half of portable MP3 device sales are simply CD players that support MP3 playback. These can be bought for $29 - and it only costs 25 cents to burn 100+ tracks onto a disk.

There is nothing competitive in that price range which offers 650MB of memory.
Yeah, but they're bulky, annoying (gotta change CDs), difficult to operate (poor menus and controls), and aren't as durable. I suppose if a person really couldn't fork over the $100-150 for a used iPod, then it would be ok. But, it would be quite a compromise.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 14, 2004, 08:35 AM

Stated accurately, Apple has 83% of the 'computer-hard-drive-based' portable music device market. There aren't many competitors in that niche.

Portable devices which play MP3 music account for 5X as many sales as 'computer-hard-drive-based' portable music devices.

So, in other words, Apple's iPod claims an 83% share of a mere 20% of the MP3 portable music device market.

For every six (give or take) portable MP3 devices sold, one is an iPod.
Did you just make up those numbers or what?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19058

APPLE'S MARKET share of the MP3 market in the US of A was put at 68% yesterday, in a stunning, if not unexpected, coup over its rivals in the portable player market.
And no, that's not just hard drive based players.

Forum Links
Forum Rules