Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > avi and asf files

avi and asf files
MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2005, 01:46 AM

I have some media files that won't open in quicktime, Windows Media Player or real player. The files were created on a Windows machine. I'm guessing Windows XP. The error I get is that I don't have the right decompressor. For some I get a different error. I probably don't have the right codec. Can anyone help me find a way to play these files on Mac OS 10.3.3.

Thanks.

Devin Lane
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2005, 02:48 AM

Use VLC or MPlayerOSX to play just about anything.
-- Devin Lane, Cocoa Programmer

Gavin
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 03:54 AM

avi, like quicktime, is a container format that can hold lots of different types of video. There are some that you just plain won't be able to play. But lots of avis these days are divx/mpeg4 and there is a quicktime plug in for that - http://www.divx.com/

You should also get divx doctor while you're there - it can fix some flaky avis.
MPEG Streamclip can if time code breaks on mpegs, I don't know where to get it.

Also get the apps mentioned above. They will play lots of stuff quicktime can't.

So what kind of 'media files' are you trying to watch?

MAlan  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2005, 10:27 PM

thanks for the info. my friend sent some home video of us playing golf which should be a good laugh because I really suck.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 10:43 PM

AVI files are typically encoded using DiVX. You can get the free plugin from www.divx.com and QuickTime will be able to load them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules