Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Ram brands which to stick with

Ram brands which to stick with
tall18u
May 19, 2001, 05:44 PM

Which brands of ram should one stick with when buying ram(pc133/100 dimms). Want to take advantage of the low prices now before they go up again but just want to stick with the major brands that have proven reliable with macs.
Thanks

wumeng
Senior User
May 19, 2001, 05:59 PM

I bought 768MB of Crucial RAM for my PowerMac G4/533DP and it worked fine -- had no problem with the much-discussed Firmware upgrade either!

klee6150
Forum Regular
May 19, 2001, 06:36 PM

OWC (macsales.com) has great prices, wonderful service, money back guarantee.

I have bought two OWC 512meg 133 RAM modules (now $144 plus change) for my 733, one OWC 256meg 100 for my new iBook. Many other memory modules in the past. Only has one flawed (year ago) and they replaced it immediately.

Highly recommended.

Karen

Cipher13
May 20, 2001, 03:07 AM

Crucial are good - Apple gets their RAM from Crucial, and I've heard of no probs with customer service or the RAM itself when Crucial was the vendor...

------------------

AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

Nimisys
Banned
May 20, 2001, 03:13 AM

Crucial is really the only brand any OCer would use, and they are pushing their ram out of spec and expect it to function perfectly. and it does. So i would go with Crucial.

Micron also does well , but it is not as sought after as the crucial sticks. i found azza.com sells high quality ram for a good price and they are very good. i had no problems when i got my 256mb stick from them.

SpeedRacer
Senior User
May 20, 2001, 05:29 PM

I'd like to throw in my vote of confidence for Boundless Technology. Ordered a 256MB PC133 module for my Mac a few weeks ago and price/service ratio has been truly industry-leading.

Speed

Blakhawkg3
Forum Regular
May 20, 2001, 10:52 PM

crucial crucial crucial

crucial is part of micron, so micron memory=crucial memory

crucial prices are pretty low too, and they have free 2nd day shipping

bil207
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2001, 11:33 PM

Another vote for Crucial, I have only Crucial memory in both my iMac 400 DV and G4 533 DP.

tall18u
May 20, 2001, 11:50 PM

Good to see all the responses, thanks. It can be a minefield for buying ram if one isn't careful.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2001, 12:58 AM

Most of what you'll hear about RAM is rumor and speculation, IMO (e.g. Crucial is "better" then Micron - Crucial is a division of Micron). I had a negative experience with Crucial - ordered some RAM on a free shipping special and they waited a week to inform me that they were out of it. Ended up ordering from DMS and they did fine. On another week, it could've been the other way around. All vendors makes mistakes. As for the quality of the RAM, I've seen no evidence that one vendor is meaningfully better than another.

My advice is to go to www.ramseeker.com and order from whatever lowest-price vendor offers an unconditional guarantee. But you probably can't go wrong with Crucial - they're the biggest outfit and have reasonable prices and a good guarantee.

Forum Links
Forum Rules