Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > video card?????

video card?????
treebark7182
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2002, 11:44 AM

Is it possible to upgrade the imacs video card????? And if so what 64 ddr meg cards are compatible?? Im a new to the mac world so im quite clueless. Im getting the new 17'' imac with a gig of ram. Im hoping for a processor upgrade soon and someday i would like to upgrade the video card. thanks

Blakhawkg3
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2002, 01:27 PM

ummm, as far as i know, you can't upgrade either...

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2002, 02:19 PM

As far as I know, the video is integrated into the motherboard; I don't know if the same is true for the CPU, but if either is possible you'd still have to disassemble the entire case to get at them.

The iMac isn't really an upgrade heaven (it wasn't intended to be); for that you're best off by starting with a lower-end PowerMac and getting a seperate CRT or LCD for your display.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2002, 03:41 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Commodus:
<strong>As far as I know, the video is integrated into the motherboard;</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">The only iMacs you can upgrade are ones with a mezzanine slot though its not like most upgrades where you just switch out a card.
<a href="http://www.theimac.com/upgrade.shtml" target="_blank">http://www.theimac.com/upgrade.shtml</a>

As for CPU upgrades, no you can't. Apple took care of the ability to upgrade any part (not including drives, RAM, and HDs) of an iMac after the Rev B.
Thats the nature of the iMac and why its a consumer machine and not a pro line model.

<small>[ 07-27-2002, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Captain Obvious ]</small>

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2002, 03:51 PM

CORRECTION
The Rev D's were the least ones to offer proccessors on a daughter Card
I have one, but I'm just gona upgrade to a new 17 inch iMacby the end of the year because my video card is embeded into the mother board, and mine is quite under powered for the new technologies in OS X.

But yeah, the iMac isn't reallyi a prosumer machine sadly, and the only Macs that you can really do proccessor upgrades on and video card upgrades and what not is the PowerMacs because they're designed for expandability. The iMac only even gives you one user expandable RAM slot, the other is hidden in the machine and you void your warrenty if you poke around in there.

But if you're doing gaming I'd suggest a PowerMac.
If you just want a nice card, from what I understand the GeForce 4 Mx is still a nice card.

Forum Links
Forum Rules