Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Any advantages to Yellow Dog over Ubuntu?

Any advantages to Yellow Dog over Ubuntu?
Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2006, 02:27 AM

I have Ubuntu installed on my Pismo, and and getting comfortable with it. I was poking around tonight and found Yellow Dog, which I had forgotten about. Is there any advantage to running Yellow Dog over Ubuntu?
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

smitty825
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2006, 09:47 PM

I also haven't used Yellow Dog in a long time. My distros of choice have been ubuntu and gentoo. IIRC, Yellow Dog was based off of a Red Hat distro, so it would be advantageous to use it if you wanted to learn how RPMs (and YUM) work, or just how Red Hat does things. I personally think that Ubuntu is a really good distro, and if you're happy, there is no reason to switch, unless you want to learn something else...

Forum Links
Forum Rules