Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Password protecting QT Media

Password protecting QT Media
ColonelSawtooth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2002, 10:54 AM

Does anyone know of a way to require a password when viewing a QT movie through a browser or in QT Player besides using access keys? I have Sorenson Video Pro 3, Sorenson Squeeze, and QTSS 4 to work with. Thanks for any help in advance.
--
The Colonel

T Allen
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2002, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by ColonelSawtooth:
<STRONG>Does anyone know of a way to require a password when viewing a QT movie through a browser or in QT Player besides using access keys? I have Sorenson Video Pro 3, Sorenson Squeeze, and QTSS 4 to work with. Thanks for any help in advance.</STRONG>
Are you planning on using the web/internet for delivery? Password protection is a server side thing. You may want to move your question over to the web area.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2002, 10:13 PM

T Allen is right. You can stream the movie and password-lock the stream, but you can't require a password on the file itself. The QTSS4 documentation can show you how to do this.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ColonelSawtooth  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2002, 01:40 AM

Thanks for the help guys. It's going to be embedded in a page hosted on a Win2K server running IIS and ColdFusion. Password protecting the entire page was always an option, but I was hoping to do it through QT. I tried using Media Keys with Sorenson 3 compression, but had no luck either.

It's funny how little information about this sort of thing exists on the web - seems like it would be a popular thing with copyright issues and such these days. Thanks again for the help, I'll take a further look at the QTSS 4 manual.
--
The Colonel

MadMacs
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2002, 05:40 AM

( Last edited by MadMacs; Oct 5, 2002 at 12:36 AM. )

jcarr
Senior User
Mar 8, 2002, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
<STRONG>T Allen is right. You can stream the movie and password-lock the stream, but you can't require a password on the file itself.</STRONG>
Actually you can lock the file itself if you are using one of the S�renson codecs. This is known as a 'Media Key'

There is info in the QuickTime Help and at S�renson's site.
I'm cookoo for Cocoa Apps!

ColonelSawtooth  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2002, 01:29 PM

Unfortunately, the copyright of the particular content requires us (Educational Institution) to be more proactive then just adding a copyright disclaimer. It's a matter of being able to view the content on campus, but not being able to view the content off-campus, unless you can authenticate as an employee, student, alumni, etc.

I have tried using Media Keys from within Sorenson Squeeze and had no luck - it just has no effect. I was hoping for a way to present password dialog box to off-campus users, but I guess QT doesn't offer this type of functionality. Not that I see it as a shortcoming of QT or anything, just thought it would be a neat way of handling it, if it were possible.

Thanks for all the help.
--
The Colonel

Forum Links
Forum Rules