Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP graphic power

MBP graphic power
misael
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2006, 06:42 AM

hi.. i'm almost buying a macbook pro 17" but i have a serius doubt... i got the powerbook 12" and i got really dissapointed when i installed flash and i couldn't run animations faster than 12fps... so, i almost sell it and buy the macbook... i just wanna know if its video adapter is faster enough to process animations at 24 fps minimun.. i like to do 60fps animations.. hope i'm not asking too much bucause a pc can... and at least for me the macbook pro is useless if it can't process animations..

Thraxes
Jun 30, 2006, 07:12 AM

Well the power ist certainly there (boy do Windows games fly on this baby!) but if the software uses the power is a different matter altogether, do you make flash animations or do you just wanna watch them? The reason I ask is that the players run natively but the flash software runs in emulation... and considering that their performance on a G4 was already poor at best I wouldn't be hoping so much.

Of course there is always the option of running FlashMX under WInXP in Parallels... if that is your cup of tea
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2006, 07:59 AM

A Flash 9 beta for intel has just come out - users posted benchmarks and it seems it runs as fast as windows now

This is a flash issue, not a MBP Graphics power issue.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

misael  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2006, 04:57 PM

well.. i make flash animations, thats why i have this doubt... i don't play games on a computer,, don't like it.. i prefer to do it on a ps2 or a gamecube.. like god ordered.. so, will the mac-intel satisfies my need?

mBurns
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2006, 11:15 AM

hi.. i'm almost buying a macbook pro 17" but i have a serius doubt... i got the powerbook 12" and i got really dissapointed when i installed flash and i couldn't run animations faster than 12fps... so, i almost sell it and buy the macbook... i just wanna know if its video adapter is faster enough to process animations at 24 fps minimun.. i like to do 60fps animations.. hope i'm not asking too much bucause a pc can... and at least for me the macbook pro is useless if it can't process animations..

I wouldn't worry. The MBP 17" has 256 VRAM! That is much more then most need. The reason Flash may be slow on your powerbook is because you only have 64 VRAM (I think). Anways, the point is you will get many more fps and it will run much smoother and quicker. There is no question in my mind that the MBP will fill your needs. Best of luck making the decision.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz CD | 100 Gb HD | 2 Gb RAM | 10.4
iBook Clamshell | 466 Mhz | 60 Gb HD | 576 Mb RAM | 10.4

graphics84
Senior User
Jul 3, 2006, 09:23 PM

ok, gonna attach my question to this thread...

I want something faster or equal to what I have for what I do (machines below)

In oder of use:

1. Adobe Photoshop
2. Adobe Illustrator
3. Suitcase (watever just need to mange a crapload of fonts)

so... if I get a top of the line 15" Macbook Pro will it be worth it without a universal binary version of CS Suite?... I've played a bit but I want to hear from someone who uses it all day like I would and do (Using a Ti 1gig now for my mobile comp and a (2) 2gig G5 at home which makes my laptop HARD to use).

what do you guys think?

sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2006, 01:40 PM

You could always boot into Windows and run Photoshop/Flash from Windows if Rosetta ain't cuttin' it.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz 2GB 120GB OSX 10.4.9, Boot Camp 1.2, Vista Home Premium
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)
PowerMac 9500 132MHz 601, dual 180MHz 604e, Newer G3 400MHz (in closet)
Powermac 7100 80MHz (sold), Powermac 7100 66MHz (sold)

graphics84
Senior User
Jul 7, 2006, 02:36 PM

yeah I know that's an options but I eally love Photoshop in Mac OS...

Forum Links
Forum Rules