Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Writing to 2 Discs at Once using Toast

Writing to 2 Discs at Once using Toast
d_oob
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2006, 02:09 PM

Tried searching on this forum as well as Roxio's site. I would like to burn to 2 DVD-R's at once to maximize my duplication productivity. Is this possible to do with 2 similar DVD burners (Pioneer A08 and 111D) both Dual Layer drives? I know there are stand-alone set-ups for duplication houses but would like to know if I can do this in my MDD dual G4 867 using Toast 7. I have 2 optical drive bays - the top one already has the 111D in it and the bottom one has a 52x CD burner. Would like to swap out the CD burner and put the A08 in and try to burn to 2 DVD burners at once.

Is there an option in Toast to do this? I mean, the new Mac Pro is suppose to be able to do this. Can I do this on a (much older) system?

Thanks for any information.
retired pismo 400 G4, macbook 2.0GHz, mac pro 2.66GHz

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2006, 02:40 PM

I would like to know about this since my MDD has two burners (albeit one is a combo drive), but I guess Toast can only manage only one burner at once.

Maybe if we run two different copies of Toast… or another burn app while Toast is burning some stuff… that could work though.

d_oob  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb
I would like to know about this since my MDD has two burners (albeit one is a combo drive), but I guess Toast can only manage only one burner at once.

Maybe if we run two different copies of Toast… or another burn app while Toast is burning some stuff… that could work though.
How would you run 2 copies of toast on one machine? I've never tried it but I assume trying to install Toast twice on the same machine would just overwrite the other. Maybe I install it to a different hard drive?

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2006, 03:00 PM

Just rename one of them and you can have two copies of it on one machine.

d_oob  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2006, 03:45 PM

hmmmm... i will try the renaming suggestion. thnx!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2006, 05:23 AM

OK, I have tried it and it worked. While the bata being toasted was just a movie trailer per disk, both Toast 6 and Toast 7 worked flawlessly at once.

So, while I don't know how much stress could place it onto the ATA-3 bus if they were two DVD discs with plenty of data to be toasted, I can say that you can run two Toast copies and burn two discs at once.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2006, 09:41 AM

I've done this several times.
I've run two copies of Toast and written to two CDs, I've run two copies of Popcorn and written to two DVDs, and I've run two copies of MacTheRipper and ripped two DVDs at the same time. Works great.

nerd
Senior User
Aug 21, 2006, 12:27 AM

I thought I read once that Toast supported writing to more then one drive at a time? Maybe I misread...... I don't have 2 drives to test.

Forum Links
Forum Rules