Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > WTB: upgrades for iMac G5 (Rev. A)

WTB: upgrades for iMac G5 (Rev. A)
Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2006, 02:53 PM

Ok, so I "inherited" a base model 1.6GHz/512MB RAM iMac G5 and I am looking to make this my winter project and upgrade it. I already upgraded to a Western Digital SATA 250GB HD with 16MB cache, so now I'm looking at everything else that's left. In order from importance:

Memory: I'm looking for either 512MB or 1GB sticks of RAM for the machine, to possibly max it out to 2GB. I'm looking to spend no more than $40 for the 512 chip and $80 for the 1GB stick, though I am willing to try and work things out if that's not the case.

BTW, this is PC3200 DDR SDRAM.

Media: I'm also looking for a SuperDrive for this computer, since it only has a combo right now. DL is nice, but not preferred if the price is right. Looking to spend $50-80 for this, depending on the capabilities.

Wireless: Last, a bluetooth card. I'm not sure if this is possible since a buddy of mine told me that it's part of the logic board and I'd need to replace the current one with one that has bluetooth on it. If that's not the case, please let me know if you can help.

I would ask for an Airport Extreme card, but since they're only $49 new (plus on eBay right now, shipping is ridiculous), I figure I can get one myself at the local Apple store.

Thanks for looking and happy holidays

Chito
Senior User
Dec 25, 2006, 04:24 PM

Get your superdrive from OWC. They've got a bundle with a Pioneer DVR-109 some backup software and something like 5 dvd's and one dl dvd for $37.00.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Philip J. Fry  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chito View Post
Get your superdrive from OWC. They've got a bundle with a Pioneer DVR-109 some backup software and something like 5 dvd's and one dl dvd for $37.00.
Yeah, I saw that and it looks like those are for the PM G5/Mac Pro machines since it looks larger. Unfortunately, I want an internal one for this computer and the only one they have new is $130 with 2 software titles and 10 discs.

Thanks for the help though!

4JNA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2006, 04:51 PM

Memory, Blue Tooth, and Superdrive.

use patchburn after installing the drive. works well. best of luck.
( Last edited by 4JNA; Dec 25, 2006 at 04:58 PM. )

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2006, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by 4JNA View Post
Memory, Blue Tooth, and Superdrive.

use patchburn after installing the drive. works well. best of luck.
I'm pretty sure he's looking for the internal bluetooth card.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Chito
Senior User
Dec 26, 2006, 10:34 AM

Sorry I missed the "i" in your original post. I thought you had a Mac tower.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Philip J. Fry  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2006, 12:09 PM

No worries I found a drive at MCE Tech for $99 with free ground shipping, so I'm going to go that route. As for the memory, anyone else have ideas? That Super Talent RAM just seems weird, never heard of it before. Thanks though

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 26, 2006, 05:53 PM

Never heard of Super Talent RAM. Sounds a bit iffy. Are you in California? There is a great guy in San Fransisco who makes his own RAM- it works great, has a lifetime warranty, and you can get a gig for about $35.

Philip J. Fry  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2006, 08:29 PM

Na, live in Ohio.

4JNA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2006, 10:56 PM

Super Talent....

behold the power of google. guessing from the posts that you (both) are not involved with hardware much. they typically sell to oem/builders. have 2gb in my imac 1.6, 4gb in my dual g5 1.8, and 22-24gb in inventory. g5 has been on 24 x7 for more than 2 years. it's working well, and was a fit for the price posted in the original thread. whatever you buy, buy it quick. vista is coming out, chip supply is low, and prices will start going up shortly.

no/limited hardware skills, stick to usb for firewire. the airport is a quick install, and should be no problem.

best of luck.

Philip J. Fry  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2006, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by 4JNA View Post
Super Talent....

behold the power of google. guessing from the posts that you (both) are not involved with hardware much. they typically sell to oem/builders. have 2gb in my imac 1.6, 4gb in my dual g5 1.8, and 22-24gb in inventory. g5 has been on 24 x7 for more than 2 years. it's working well, and was a fit for the price posted in the original thread. whatever you buy, buy it quick. vista is coming out, chip supply is low, and prices will start going up shortly.

no/limited hardware skills, stick to usb for firewire. the airport is a quick install, and should be no problem.

best of luck.
Oh I never said anything bad about it; it's just Apple seems to introduce low-level mechanisms in every major OS update that renders any non-Apple RAM obsolete and cause the machine to act like it's dying. I did research Super Talent at work today and I am impressed from what I was reading but again, Apple seems to tighten it's grip more and more these days in regards to RAM.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2006, 12:12 AM

I have an AirPort Extreme card if you want, for $40 shipped ($50+ tax at Apple store). I may have (2) 512MB RAM, but I'll have to check. When it comes to RAM, I believe you get what you pay for. So I only trust a few brands myself. Samsung, Hynix, Kingston, Crucial, Micron, Mushkin, Corsair...

I may have a superdrive lying around for you also. Can probably go $80 shipped on that if I can find it.

Philip J. Fry  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by chipchen View Post
I have an AirPort Extreme card if you want, for $40 shipped ($50+ tax at Apple store). I may have (2) 512MB RAM, but I'll have to check. When it comes to RAM, I believe you get what you pay for. So I only trust a few brands myself. Samsung, Hynix, Kingston, Crucial, Micron, Mushkin, Corsair...

I may have a superdrive lying around for you also. Can probably go $80 shipped on that if I can find it.
I'm def. interested in the RAM first and foremost, even just 512MB would work since I have 2 256MB sticks in here right now. As for the superdrive, is it DL? Thanks again!

Forum Links
Forum Rules