Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Pro audio on Mac Pro

Pro audio on Mac Pro
dmgraph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2007, 02:53 PM

I am moving up from my old G4 to a new Mac Pro. Have used an M-Audio card in the G4 a long time. I see that there's optical in and out on the Pros. I'm pretty sure I can hook up to my audio amp this way. How about input? I want to avoid a pricy USB or Firewire input box. My needs are simple, I have all the mic preamps and whatever, never need more than to get analog stereo in. Is there a simple solution to use the optical inputs? And, I'm not seeing any PCI Express audio cards offered for the Mac Pro--is that an obsolete solution? As always, I assume the analog inputs on any computer do not provide good A/D conversion--or is it a different world now?

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2007, 04:38 PM

The SP/DIF in/outs produce good quality audio but I should ask what resolution you are recording at?

dmgraph  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson View Post
The SP/DIF in/outs produce good quality audio but I should ask what resolution you are recording at?
I've always found 16 bit, 44.1 kHz sample rate to be sufficient.

I assume you're referring to the TOSLINK ports? I've found this cable, which I think I'll be using for output:

http://macaudiopro.digitalmedianet.c...e.jsp?id=47126

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2007, 12:30 AM

The cable has the right ends (without the mini adapter) - that's the right type of cable. I use a similar Toslink cable to hook my speakers to my PowerMac G5 which has optical audio out.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

booboo
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2007, 05:28 AM

Yes you can use the Mac's optical S/Pdif output to connect to your (presumably A/V Reciever) hi-fi.

But how could you make use of the optical in? Do you have an external A/D converter?

If you need analogue stereo in, use the Mac's analogue stereo in.

If you think the Mac's analogue input isn't good enough, then you'll need some other way of A/D conversion. These days FireWire and USB audio interfaces start vey inexpensively, a drop in the ocean compared with the price of a new Mac Pro. . . . consider the FireWire Behringer FCA202 at £79, the Presonus Inspire at around $199 or one of the many cheap M•Audio boxes (USB from around $89)

PCIe cards include those from Apogee, Digidesign, MOTU and forthcoming from RME. They're not obselete, they just occupy the more niche 'pro' end of the the Mac audio market.

EDIT: I see you consider 16-bit/44.1K sufficient, in which case I suggest the Mac's built in audio - which is capable of 24-bit/96K- will be more than adequate.
Mac Pro 2.66, 2GB RAM | 4 x 250 GB HD's | MOTO 424e/2408-II

dmgraph  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2007, 05:27 PM

I guess I just balk at an input interface because I don't need mic preamps, etc.--heck, a cheap M-Audio I see even has guitar effects. I just want to get line level stereo in! With earlier Macs I needed a card to even do that. Back in the day, everyone claimed Mac audio inputs were to be scorned due to substandard A/D, so up to the G4 I always used other means. Does any audiophile source say that the Mac Pro's analog in is really sufficient for quality 16 bit, 44.1 kHz? I know some people will say that that isn't "quality", but I work for CD, and that's where it's all going, so...

Thanks guys...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2007, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by dmgraph View Post
I guess I just balk at an input interface because I don't need mic preamps, etc.--heck, a cheap M-Audio I see even has guitar effects. I just want to get line level stereo in! With earlier Macs I needed a card to even do that. Back in the day, everyone claimed Mac audio inputs were to be scorned due to substandard A/D, so up to the G4 I always used other means. Does any audiophile source say that the Mac Pro's analog in is really sufficient for quality 16 bit, 44.1 kHz? I know some people will say that that isn't "quality", but I work for CD, and that's where it's all going, so...
AFAIK The Mac Pro uses the Intel HD audio chipset, but I'm not sure which A/D they've paired it with. Two different options are benchmarked here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules