Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How happy are you with your 24" iMac

How happy are you with your 24" iMac
b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2007, 09:20 PM

Here is the deal. My 2 month old Macbook Pro 17" was stolen with my Camera, iPod video and Bag from my car at my work. I rarely leave it in the car, but I forgot some paperwork and ran back in to grab it. I come out to a Broken Passenger window and my bag GONE! HOLY SCHMIDT!!!!!!! Anyhoo, I filed a Police report and my insurance is sending me a check to cover the stolen items. I have been touing around with the idea of getting a 24" iMac and a Macbook. I use my Mac's to create Visual panorama's for my wife's real estate company, PhotoShop work, Illustrator, etc. The files never exceed a couple hundred Meg's. I can Buy a Refurbished iMac at 1699, and a refurbished Black Macbook for 1299, and still be under what my MBP cost, and have money to spare to get my camera equipment. Any thoughts? I loved my Macbook Pro, but I never really lugged it around due to it's size..... and the Macbook looks like the Perfect Mac to throw in my bag ( Never left alone again ) and take with me to do shoots, cafe's, etc. All you 24" iMac owner's chime in.
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2007, 10:39 AM

I have that same setup. A 24" iMac with 7600 GT, and a white MacBook. Excellent, versatile combo.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2007, 12:39 PM

I don't own a 24" iMac, but I use one a lot as well as a MacBook. I think you'll love both of them. They make a good combo. The only issue is that the MacBook's integrated graphics can be a drag if you need to work on a movie or something that you made on the iMac.

Parky
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2007, 01:54 PM

I'm very happy, it's the best Mac I have ever owned.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

mikeylee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2007, 05:02 PM

Hi,
I switched from a PC to a 24"iMac about 4 months ago. I am tickled to death with it. While I have nothing else Apple top compare it to, it is great with Photoshop (wife does wedding photography on the side). Just love it.
mikeylee

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2007, 06:35 PM

The only issue is that the MacBook's integrated graphics can be a drag if you need to work on a movie or something that you made on the iMac.
Why is that? Integrated graphics don't generally affect 2D work, and unless he'll be using motion, or to a limited extent Final Cut, he'll be fine.
Linkinus is king.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2007, 08:04 AM

We've got a 24" iMac in the home office, a white MacBook to use around the house. Excellent combination. At work I use a MBP, but I honestly don't see much of a performance difference in everyday life.

b1NARY73  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2007, 01:58 AM

Thanks for all the replies, I bought a 24" refurb, and a black Macbook refurb and am one happy camper. My wife is so smitten, I am trying to find her a 17" iMac on the second hand market as we speak. One thing though, the 24" takes a while to get used too... I had to re-adjust my chair, and sit a bit further back than when I had my MBP plugged into my 20" ACD.... but I am not complaining!
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 12, 2007, 09:53 AM

I'm really happy with my 24" iMac, except I'd say about once every 3-4 days, the 'windowserver' freaks out and uses like 30% of both CPUs. It really pisses me off. I force quit the window finder, sometimes that works, sometimes I have to logoff and log back in, sometimes I have to restart. It's very very annoying.

Klipse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2007, 09:00 PM

im sorry to hear about the theft.. hope buying the 24" will make you feel better

Forum Links
Forum Rules