Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > cock eyed power button

cock eyed power button
etart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2007, 09:09 PM

my power button dosen't sit flush, it's a tad bit lower on one side so you can feel a sharp edge
granted this being my only problem i haven't much to complane about but it bugs me and i'm wondering if anyone elce has this issue
and if i bring it into my apple store will they be able to fix it
thanks

etart
( Last edited by etart; May 17, 2007 at 09:15 PM. )

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
May 17, 2007, 10:00 PM

You could take it into the Apple Store if it's not too much trouble, but I would assume they'll be reluctant if it's not very noticable. They would probably have to replace the whole upper metal part that holds the keyboard and trackpad. It never hurts to ask though.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2007, 10:28 PM

My PowerBook was like that, I just lived with it.

etart  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2007, 10:39 AM

if they have to go to that much trouble perhaps i'll live with it
etart

Ray@SAT
May 19, 2007, 06:47 AM

In my case, the power button went "click" when I pushed it. And now the spring in it seems broken.
Anybody else having problems ?

WilsonBM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2007, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by etart View Post
my power button dosen't sit flush, it's a tad bit lower on one side so you can feel a sharp edge
granted this being my only problem i haven't much to complane about but it bugs me and i'm wondering if anyone elce has this issue
and if i bring it into my apple store will they be able to fix it
thanks

etart
The same thing happened with my 15" MBP. I took it into the Genius Bar and they told me that there is a small rubber seal that surrounds the power button, and holds it flush to the casing. The adhesive apparently had dried, or was not applied correctly. They said the only fix is to replace the entire top casing of the MBP. I had to check it in overnight, but now the power button sits tight and flush to the casing.

jayde
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2007, 09:46 AM

Love my new MBP. But less than 3 weeks old and the left side of the power button is sunken in. I know it was not like that before, it was flush with the case. But now it looks like this:

This was taken from this site: Laptops: This is not cool... - Gizmodo from another person with the same dilemma.

It is a small issue but I don't think it should be like that. I baby my MBP and I have a microfibre cover to protect the screen from keyboard indentations when the lid is closed (known issue because of the thin form factor). The cover does not extend to the power button so I am left wondering if the sharp edges beside the button will eventually scratch my screen... It seems like this is a reoccuring issue for people:
Here are some other posts - Should my new MacBook's power button tilt like that? | Ask MetaFilter
- MacBook Pro Power Button - mac rumors

Less than 3 weeks old... I think I am going to an apple service depot to see what they say. Hopefully they won't tell me that this is normal and to just live with it.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
May 25, 2007, 01:47 PM

Same thing with my MacBook Pro. I had it partially fixed when the iSight needed replacing (Which, FYI, involves replacing the whole top of ther MBP (LCD and everything!!)).

All thats needed it to unscrew and lift the metal bit around the keyboard.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules