Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Quick Question Regarding Fink

Quick Question Regarding Fink
Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2007, 02:36 PM

I figured the crowd in this forum might be best suited to answer my question, but if this is an inappropriate forum for it, then feel free to move it.

Anyway, I recently installed fink and noticed the the sw directory the installation creates at the root of the filesystem appears in the Finder. However, similar directories such as /bin /sbin and /usr are also located in the root of the filesystem, yet they don't appear in the Finder. These directories aren't prefaced by a '.' or anything, and the permissions for each are the same as /sw. So, I'm wondering what indicates whether a directory appears in the Finder, and if possible is there a way for me to have /sw behave in the same way as /bin /sbin /usr and so forth...

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks.

smitty825
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2007, 10:01 PM

It shouldn't be too difficult to hide the /sw directory, assuming you have the Apple Developer Tools installed...

sudo /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a V /sw

(Once you do this, you'll need to restart the finder to make the directory invisible)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2007, 12:40 AM

The .hidden file in / lists the directories that are hidden from view:

$ cd /
$ cat .hidden

automount
bin
cores
Desktop DB
Desktop DF
Desktop Folder
dev
etc
lost+found
mach
mach_kernel
mach.sym
mnt
opt
private
sbin
tmp
tmp 1
Trash
usr
var
VM Storage
Volumes

bluedog
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2007, 08:23 AM

That's great. Thanks for your reply. I wondered myself how these directories didn't appear and were still accessible via CLI. I thought they may have been hardcoded.

Good to know the file that controls this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules