Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 Quad temps, cooling, repair outside warranty. . .

G5 Quad temps, cooling, repair outside warranty. . .
booboo
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2007, 08:39 AM

Hi. I'm in the UK here.

Talking with a friend on the phone. What's that noise (like a washing machine on spin cycle) in the background?

"That's my (Quad G5) Mac - it always makes that noise"

Well that's not right. . .

"Actually I was calling because it's been crashing rather a lot recently - just locking up and I have to pull the plug out from the wall. . . thought you might have some ideas?"

Hmm. . . I'm thinking this is a cooling problem. I get him to run a hardware monitor app. It says CPU's are around 88-90 degrees C.

Ouch!

On my advice, he calls Apple (Regent St, from where it was purchased). The Mac is out of warranty. He's told it is probably one of two problems, at a cost of £600 ($1200) or £800 ($1600) depending on which one.

Double ouch!

This Quad is several hundred miles from me - it's in the north of England - so I can't get there in person. Anyone got any suggestions as to how to proceed - remotely - or know of any common problems with these Quads that might be helpful in persuading Apple to extend the warranty cover?

Thanks for your help.
Mac Pro 2.66, 2GB RAM | 4 x 250 GB HD's | MOTO 424e/2408-II

Nivag
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2007, 12:41 PM

How out of date is it?

Get them to open up the side and check that all the fans are working and aren't blocked/clogged with dust - also the same with the heat sinks, make sure they haven't got dust in between the fins.

What are the two problems they are quoting for?

booboo  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2007, 07:07 AM

OK. My friend took his Quad to his local Apple Authorized Service Centre.

They charged £80 + VAT to give a diagnosis.

This was their verdict.

The Quad has overheated, causing one processor to fail. They say the cooling system and processors are a sealed unit - which I think is a lie - and say it will cost £689 + VAT to repair = £809 or $1600.

Why did this happen? They say it is because the computer was 'full of dust' causing it to overheat.

Prior to this Quad there has been a long line of Mac's which have occupied the same space for equivalent or longer time periods. From memory a 7600, Beige G3, QuickSilver G4 and none of these 'died' due to dust-related overheating.

I have advised my friend to purchase a Mac Pro instead of putting the money toward fixing the Quad, and said I'd pursue getting the Quad fixed more cheaply, as I consider the AASC's verdict completely unreasonable.

What does anyone think?

Nivag
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2007, 06:51 AM

Just out of interest which dealer did you take it to?

I have to say the newer Mac's do get their heat sinks more clogged with dust with than older ones.

The price seems about right to me regarding a processor swap.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2007, 07:10 AM

It's certainly not worth the cost of the repair, at that price.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

booboo  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2007, 11:11 AM

18 months life is not very long for a once-top-of-the-range computer.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2007, 11:15 AM

The one unfortunate thing about the top-end G5s was the liquid cooling. I think this person's G5 fell victim to a liquid cooling issue because I doubt the story given that it was as a result of dust and overheating.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

booboo  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2007, 12:15 PM

Well I have requested a written report from the AASC (at a cost of £15 + vAT = $35).

I think the notion that household dust - which never caused a problem with any of his or my previous Mac's - is considered a reasonable cause for the death of a computer is laughable, and I will be pressing to get the Quad repaired at Apple's cost.

Forum Links
Forum Rules