Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Digital Voice Recorder, compatible w, Mac?

Digital Voice Recorder, compatible w, Mac?
Flagheimer
Jan 31, 2008, 12:56 AM

I'm looking for a great affordable Digital Voice Recorder - for school, that's compatible with my PowerBook G4.

I've never owned a Digital Voice Recorder, are these things clear for lectures? How close to I have to be to the instructor? Any help?

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2008, 04:00 AM

I tried to leave a post earlier tonight about my Sony Digital Voice Recorder, but when I pressed the "Post Quick Reply" I got a Server Busy error message.

I was so pissed, I forgot what it was I typed.

I'll try to remember tomorrow, and repost it.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Jan 31, 2008, 09:54 AM

Audacity: Mac OS 9 / X
If your looking for one to put on your g4, use this. I used it on my 12inch powerbook and worked great. Install it, do some tests from different ranges and settings to see if it will work for you.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2008, 08:59 PM

I have a ICD-MX20, and it is great. I got it for $199 new. The quality is much better than the cheap ones.

I hook it up to a Windows machine that I have and if I need to transfer the files to my iPod, I'll export them to mp3 format.

Flagheimer  (op)
Feb 1, 2008, 06:38 AM

Thanks for the input, bearcatrp and Buckaroo.

bearcatrp, I'm actually looking for a device itself. Sometimes I don't feel like bringing my PB on campus.

Buckaroo, how's the pick-up range on that device? I don't really sit in the same seat in my classes all the time, so I need something that at least record from the back (just for insurance).

Of course, I could just set the DVR near the front, but I'm a forgetful person, wouldn't want to forget it or get it stolen.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Been doing some research, what are everyone's thoughts on Digital Voice Recording Wristwatches? Bully [bully-1704BG1024] : Skullcandy
( Last edited by Flagheimer; Feb 1, 2008 at 06:54 AM. )

bearcatrp
Senior User
Feb 1, 2008, 09:04 AM

Wasnt sure if you wanted an external or internal. Some PDAs and smartphones record voice too. With the capacity of sd cards growing, you should be able to record a class with no problem. Just a thought.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2008, 12:24 AM

I normally sit near the right rear of the class. I need to upload a clip.

Forum Links
Forum Rules