Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Inexpensive SCSI card for CDRW

Inexpensive SCSI card for CDRW
Juicebox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2000, 05:04 AM

Hello!

I have a new G4 400. I'm getting a Yamaha 8x CDRW SCSI external. What is a good inexpensive SCSI card to buy?

I may also attach a SCSI Umax scanner. I have no need to add HDs or Ultra etc.

Thanks

keston
Feb 25, 2000, 03:48 PM

I picked up the adaptec 2906 shortly after i bought my G4. Works great. I use it for my scsi zip drive, and scsi cdr. If you just need it for light devices like these, its perfect.

kkneisley
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2000, 01:21 AM

Another inexpensive, but solid card would be the Initio bluenote. It behaves in any PCI slot and has both internal and external connectors. Cost is around $70.

More info at initio.com or macgurus.com.

Keith

-Whatever you do, do the research.

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2000, 10:09 AM

I wouldn't consider any brand other than Adaptec.

The trouble with Yamaha's (not just Yamaha mechanism) drive is that it has the SCSI-2 (high-density, 50-pin) connectors on the back. Fortunately, it has a termination switch on the back. Terminator for the high-density connector is bloody expensive.

Buying either an adaptec 2906 ($50), which has a 25-pin connector similar to the ones found on older Macs or the back of Iomega's Zip Drive; or you may consider an Adaptec 2930 for $80 (with high-density 50-pin)

If you choose option #1, you will need a cable with 25-pin and high-density 50-in on the ends.

Option 2: high-density 50-pin on both ends, which is easier to find.

CATCH: 2906 is not bootable, and 2930 is bootable (you can hook up a Zip drive or any other storage device containing a System folder and boot from it.)

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2000, 01:08 PM

While the Adaptec 2906 may work fine, for a few more dollars you can get the 2930 which is "bootable". So, you can hookup your CD-R or a Jaz/Zip and boot your Mac if needed. I have about 12 2930 and another 12 2040s in G3/400 and G4/450s which work great - but the 2940 is not the best choice for just CD-R or SCSI 1 peripherals (scanners, etc.)

Scott

Juicebox  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2000, 03:12 PM

Thank you for your info!

really don't see a need to boot from the ext SCSI? If I had any trouble I'd use the internal DVD player. Other than the Yamaha and a Scanner, I don't see any more SCSI purchases in my future. I think the 2906 is what Apple sells so I'd bet it is most compatable.

Thanks

J

Forum Links
Forum Rules