Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Good whiskey for beginners?

Good whiskey for beginners?
Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2010, 09:24 PM

Hi all,

I'm at the point in life where a bottle of beer at night isn't always what I'm looking for. I'm thinking of trying whiskey, but know absolutely nothing about it. I know enough to know I don't know anything, except there is whiskey, bourbon, scotch, irish whiskey, canadian whiskey, and it confuses me.

I want something to begin with that's fairly easy to drink (I've tried Jack Daniels, and I don't care for it at all), and will not bankrupt me.

I'm open to all suggestions, and I do understand that whiskey is an acquired taste, so I'm willing to give it time.

Thanks,
Tom

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2010, 09:34 PM

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 16, 2010, 09:36 PM

Start with some research. In general, there are basically three types of whiskey to try: blended (American) whiskeys, Scotch whiskey, and Irish Whiskey. These three are very different in character, flavor, and of course substance.

Blended whiskeys are relatively smooth with a pretty much consistent flavor from brand to brand-think Canadian Club.

Scotch whiskeys are aged in charred oak for the flavor, and have a variety of distinct flavors; you can tell one label from another by the flavor. A subdivision of scotch whiskey is "single malt scotch," which has no blending, even before distillation. These tend to be the smoothest-and priciest-scotches.

Irish whiskey is quite different from scotch. The grain is handled and treated differently before fermentation, so there's a different character to it. There are basically only three Irish distilleries, as far as I can find out, so there isn't a whole lot of label variety.

So here's what you do: you go to a well stocked, well run bar with a couple of friends, and tell the barkeep that you want to sample a number of whiskeys to figure out which ones you like. A knowledgeable bartender should be able to tell you things like why an older blended whiskey may not be as flavorful as a younger single malt scotch. Look for a place that isn't the sort of bar that fills up with singles; it may be expensive, but it'll be worth it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2010, 12:16 AM

For starters, American and Canadian whiskeys are a no-go.

Go for a single malt.

My recommendation: Glenlivet Nadurra. Very potent, very smooth, for $50 a steal.

Glenlivet "Nadurra" 16 year old, Non-Chill Filtered Single Malt Whisky 750ml - SKU 1026584

-t

Railroader
Banned
Oct 17, 2010, 12:22 AM

Another tip: add water

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2010, 08:11 AM

First off, there is no such thing as Scotch Whiskey. It's Scotch Whisky, or simply Scotch. Whiskey, with an e, is alway Irish.

Secondly, if you want to get into the good stuff, follow turtle and RR's advice. A good peaty Scotch, with a drop of water, is a fine thing to behold on a winter's night. My favorite is Ardbeg, 18 years old, failing that I like a dram of Laphroaig.

There is however one decent Canadian whisky that's worth sampling and that's the Glenora Single Malt from Cape Breton. http://www.glenoradistillery.com/ If you're ever in the neighbourhood, I suggest stopping by.

Sealobo
Oct 17, 2010, 08:32 AM

i drink these:

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2010, 08:45 AM

Well stop that and start drinking the proper stuff
Chivas is the Coors Light of Scotch.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 17, 2010, 08:49 AM

Phileas is correct in his point about spelling - outside of the US. In the States, nobody attends to whether or not the 'e' is there, and US spelling dictionaries typically omit the Scottish spelling completely. (Frankly I don't think most people here bother worrying about spelling anything in any case, but that's another rant.) One indicator of whether or not a bar is "good" is if they label things with accurate spellings, but that's also somewhat hard to pick up in most establishments because of lighting and such.

I agree with turtle that The Glenlivet Nadura is an awesome single malt. But in order to appreciate it, I think you need to at least sample (and I'm not talking about "drinking" but rather tasting) a lot of other scotches, including American blended. There are actually uses for blended whiskys, mostly in mixed drinks, but you need to taste a bunch of drinks to know where the flavors come from. Tasting is essential to understanding what you like.

Railroader's observation about adding water is very accurate. When drinking almost any alcoholic beverage you can enhance the flavor (and more importantly the aroma) with appropriate addition of water. But again, first you need to know what you're looking for in the taste.

Chivas is probably the topmost of (available) blended scotches. Canadian Club is different because it's a North American blended scotch; this introduces a bunch of really subtle but collectively important differences in body, flavor and finish.

My suggestion to taste a bunch of different whisky/whiskey brands holds. Look for which style you like best, then for which label in that style. And note that most people will tell you that whisky drinking is an acquired taste; don't expect to fall in love with the stuff the first time you taste it. Which is also why I'm recommending tasting versus drinking to start with. Not "formal tasting," of course, but tasting a splash of a number of different types and brands just to get started figuring out where to go next.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2010, 09:02 AM

Glen, that might well be a north/south divide in the US. Most of my Yank friends are from the north-west and there the difference in spelling seems to be common knowledge as it is up here in Canada - but that might of course have historical reasons.

Chivas is an abomination, in my opinion. It is specifically blended for sweetness, to make it attractive to non whisky drinkers.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 17, 2010, 09:16 AM

Maybe it's more a matter of social/education level than locale. There are a number of bars in Austin that cater to what might be thought of as connoisseurs of the drink, and they go out of their way to be correct. But I agree that Canadian spellings are almost certainly historically reinforced, while US spellings may also be historically reinforced in the other direction.

I didn't properly state what I meant about Chivas as being "top most." I meant that it sells a lot. Just like Jack Daniels does. It's bourbon in scotch clothing-and like Jack, it's got uses as a mixer. Canadian Club is not really sweet at all in comparison, and like Dewars it's a lot lighter. I've seen both CC and Dewars suggested as "beginner's scotches" for this reason.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
You joking, right?

I'll give you the Canadian part. They're two sweet for my palate. That said, there's nothing like a nice rye and ginger on ice with a lime (Canadian whiskey and ginger ale) on a hot summer day. It's up there with a good G&T.

Anyway, if you're discounting bourbon and rye you're missing some wonderful whisky. On the bourbon side, George T Stagg is amazing. Four Roses is excellent two. I just picked up a bottle of their small batch. Yum! Blanton's is another standout. And it's hard to go wrong with Makers also as an old standbye. Makers is actually a good entry into the bourbon world. At least it was for me. The rye side has been making a comeback the last couple of years two. I haven't tried many, but the Old Potrero I bought is excellent. There's a wide world of flavor in bourbons and ryes too. It's hardly consistent.

Basically, if you're discounting American whiskey outright, you're missing a wonderful world of awesomeness. Everyone thinks of Jack when they think of American whiskey. For those people, let me clue you in, Jack is garbage. I find it equally disdainful as the low end Johnny Walkers. Actually, probably worse.

On a related note, scotch distillers often purchase used bourbon barrels to age their scotch in. That's not a comment on either varietal, but it's just one of those interesting factoids that fills your mind with random crap you probably don't need to know.

Look, don't get me wrong. I absolutely love good scotch; but good bourbon should never, ever be discounted.

Edit: Yeah, Chivas is definitely not top most in that regard. Johnnie Walker Blue is unbelievably good. I haven't had the gold or green, but I hear those are good too. I don't like the Black or Red though. Chivas is meh for me. That said, I haven't tried the upper end Chivas, so I can't judge those. At that point, I'd rather go single malt though. Especially a nice Islay....mmmmm....
( Last edited by Arty50; Oct 17, 2010 at 12:45 PM. )
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
You joking, right?
No, I said "for starters".

For starters, a single malt is probably the best way to get acquainted.

Sure, if you know your way around, you will find a good Bourbon. But that's definitely NOT what starters will easily find.

-t

bstone
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2010, 02:32 PM

12 Year Old Glenlivit Single Malt
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

P
Oct 17, 2010, 02:45 PM

I suggest starting with a few blended of each type to see what you like. For Scotch, I would suggest Famous Grouse. For Irish, Tullamore Dew. I'm not familiar enough with Canadian or American types to recommend any.

Single malts is more of personal taste. The Nadurra above is excellent. Other personal favourites of mine include Balvenie Doublewood. These are all smooth whiskys, but that's where you should start. Hold off on the smokier ones (like Laphroig) for a while.

Johnnie Walker is blended. Red is made for mixing drinks (although they don't exactly advertise that anymore). Black was the first attempt to move up in quality, not made to be mixed. Above that there's green, gold and blue. Personally I think that the green is the best compromise between price and quality, although I never tried the gold.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2010, 06:05 PM

Agreed - Johnnie Walker Black is "solid," the Green is a great price/performance buy. Blue is fantastic but generally out of my price range right now; like most people have never tried the Gold (I think people say "at this point, why not just go for the Blue?!?").
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 18, 2010, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
12 Year Old Glenlivit Single Malt
I have a bottle of this on my shelf right now. This and the aforementioned Nadurra were both recommended to me by a Scotch enthusiast I spoke with this summer when looking for a good bottle to give to a friend. The guy complained that he gains weight from all of the Scotch he drinks and apparently vacations in Scotland so that he can hang out at distilleries.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2010, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Madison View Post
Hi all,

I'm at the point in life where a bottle of beer at night isn't always what I'm looking for. I'm thinking of trying whiskey, but know absolutely nothing about it. I know enough to know I don't know anything, except there is whiskey, bourbon, scotch, irish whiskey, canadian whiskey, and it confuses me.

I want something to begin with that's fairly easy to drink (I've tried Jack Daniels, and I don't care for it at all), and will not bankrupt me.

I'm open to all suggestions, and I do understand that whiskey is an acquired taste, so I'm willing to give it time.

Thanks,
Tom
As a starter? I'd recommend an Irish whiskey. They tend to be slightly "easier" if you're not used to the whiskey burn. They have no definition, so it's usually a good bit of aged neutral grain spirit, meaning they'll be a touch "cooler", if I may. If money is no object, I find Redbreast to be the most "drinkable" Irish whiskey. In my house, Bourbon and Canadian whiskeys are mostly for mixing (Juleps and Manhattans respectably), but if you're looking for a good bourbon, go for Old Weller special reserve, and on the Canadian side, I can't recommend Canadian Club 12 year enough. It's an excellent bang for your buck.

If you still can't stomach it, mix it with a little ginger ale, slowly increasing the ratio until it's mostly whiskey.

As for myself and scotch, for my 21st birthday, I did the "Olympics" (Johnny Walker Red, Black, Green, Gold, and Blue) with a professional taster. Blue is actually quite a bit harsher on the tongue, with Green being the personal favorite of mine. Red should be mixed with something to make it drinkable, and Black isn't much better. If I'm doing scotch, I'm going with Balvenie 12 Year Old DoubleWood , and Yamazaki 18 year if I'm feeling fancy. The '08 was the best "scotch" I've ever had.

Any questions?

Arty50
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2010, 01:21 AM

No, I said "for starters".

For starters, a single malt is probably the best way to get acquainted.

Sure, if you know your way around, you will find a good Bourbon. But that's definitely NOT what starters will easily find.

-t
Sorry, read that wrong. I thought you meant "for starters" as a turn of speech like first off, or to begin with. I didn't take it literally like I should have. So pardon me...nothing to see here...

That said, my first single malt was Laphroiag. So I guess you could say I jumped in with both feet...up to my neck.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2010, 02:17 AM

That said, my first single malt was Laphroiag. So I guess you could say I jumped in with both feet...up to my neck.
Ha, Laphroaig wasn't my first single malt, but it's still one that I like very much.

IIRC, my first whiskey was Bushmills, a single malt Irish.

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2010, 01:15 PM

To get acquainted with whisk(e)y, I herd people to Bushmills and Highland Park. They're smooth and very drinkable. Then try some Talisker (has a great bite and is my favorite Scotch) and Jameson. From there you'll start to get an idea of where you're going and what you like.

and yeah, add just a little water, about a teaspoon. It "opens up" the flavor a bit.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Ω
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2010, 07:28 AM

Nice to see the Balvenie Doublewood well represented as it is one of my favourites. Tried it next to the 14 and 15YO and thought is eclipsed them both.

When buying Glenfiddoch buy the 15YO as it is much nicer than the 18YO. 12YO is bad and needs lots of ice to quell the harshness. 21YO and 30YO (and 40YO) are superb but well above my meagre budget.

Springbank 15YO for smoothness - considered to be one of the best out there. Though I do believe no self respecting Scotsman will buy it as it from Campbeltown and they sided with the English. Auchentoschen 12YO (used to be 10YO) for something cheaper.

Entry level look at Aberlour 10YO. Cheap and very easy to drink. They do another called A'bunadh which is cask-strength. Batches may vary, but all the ones I have had have hidden the 60% alc content well. Glenmorangie 10YO is also very good entry level as it is very inoffensive with a slight sweetness that make it palatable for most punters.

Avoid Ardbeg and Laphroiag initially until you have your palate acclimatised to good single malts. They can be too peaty for the average punter. Note I said "initially", as I think these are great drams. For a treat look out for Ardbeg Supernova - one of the peatiest malts you can find and very yummy. I spent most of a day just sniffing the empty glass!

Lagavulin 16YO is a classic, as is Macallan 18YO. Nothing bad can be said about these gems (except the price!).

Going Irish the Connemarra Peated Cask Strength is something to look out for as well. If I was buying blended I tend to gravitate towards the Irish blends as they are tripled distilled which makes them a little smoother in my opinion.

Also if you are going to get into whisky buy yourself some decent glasses and make sure you clean them properly as it make a big difference when tasting. I use Speaglaiu as I find them to be a good balance between cost and quality, though it depends on what neck of the woods you are in.

Remember that all single malts are good, it is just that some are better than others!

*couldn't be bother checking my spelling of some of the names, but most should be close
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2010, 09:28 AM

I just got a bottle of Ardbeg Cask Strength as a present. Awesome.

-Q-
Oct 19, 2010, 10:12 AM

I'm glad the OP started this - I've been meaning to expand the whiskey selection in my liquor cabinet.

I personally got started with Macallan 12 yr and Glenlivet, upgraded to the Macallan 18 (when the wallet allows for it) and have just acquired a bottle of Nadurra to try this weekend. But keep the suggestions coming.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2010, 11:51 AM

First bourbon I ever had was Maker's Mark, and I thought it was alright. I'll still drink it occasionally.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
First bourbon I ever had was Maker's Mark, and I thought it was alright. I'll still drink it occasionally.
Uh, *shudder*

I had Maker's Mark for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Never again.
Barely good enough for a mixer drink.

-t

Madison  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2010, 04:01 PM

Hello all,

I truly appreciate everyone's input, it has been an education to be sure, and helpful too. I just purchased a bottle of Glenlivet 12YO Single Malt, and will be giving it a go later this week (maybe tonight, we'll see). I'll report back and let everyone know if I've got what it takes to appreciate good whisky

Thanks,
Tom

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2010, 05:44 PM

I just purchased a bottle of Glenlivet 12YO Single Malt, and will be giving it a go later this week
That was my very first single malt scotch purchase - you could do a lot worse!
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2010, 06:18 PM

My twin nephews turned 21 last week, and I gave each of them a bottle of Glenlivet 12. Told them once they like the taste of it, they're old.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 19, 2010, 08:02 PM

Just keep one thing in mind: a good scotch should be sipped. If you drink it neat, take small sips and get some air with them; this enhances the intake of aroma as well as the liquid itself. If you drink it with water, inhale the aroma as you begin to sip, and don't take too much liquid in at one time. Both techniques allow you to get all the sensory information-the notes from the oak aging barrel, the notes from the grain and how it was prepared, sometimes even differences in the water used in adjusting the alcohol content (that's a very subtle thing, but some people can tell you which sip was Glenlevit, and which was Glenmorangie.

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2010, 09:45 PM

Glad to see a good thready on whisky. A few good recommendations already. Most people covered the basics - water helps, try a selection, etc. What I would do, if you don't want to go the bar route, is find yourself a decent liquor store and buy as many 50mL bottles of different whisk(e)ys as you can afford. Try a few of each kind - scotch (blended and single malt), irish, american (rye and bourbon), maybe canadian.

As for my list right now:

Scotch
- Johnnie Walker Black
- Balvanie DoubleWood (pretty good, not too steep, ~$35)
- Laguvalin 16
- Laphroaig 18 (I liked the 15 better, but they stopped making it)
- Caol Ila 12
... Can you tell I like Islays*? They're very smoky, and maybe not for beginners, but it's worth giving them a try.

Bourbon
- Bulliet (has some rye in it, a bit spicy but I like it in cocktails)
- Makers 46. Delicious
- Bookers, decent stuff.

I don't drink much Canadian, and I absolutely hate Irish, so none of those on the list.

Welcome to the club.

* I didn't see it mentioned, but single malts can be classified by the region in Scotland they are produced in. Lowland, Speyside, Islay, etc. Google is your friend, as it's a subject that is a bit much to cover in here except to say that if you find a scotch you like, region is a good way to find similar ones.
( Last edited by Brien; Oct 19, 2010 at 11:31 PM. )

Arty50
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2010, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ω View Post
Nice to see the Balvenie Doublewood well represented as it is one of my favourites. Tried it next to the 14 and 15YO and thought is eclipsed them both.

When buying Glenfiddoch buy the 15YO as it is much nicer than the 18YO. 12YO is bad and needs lots of ice to quell the harshness. 21YO and 30YO (and 40YO) are superb but well above my meagre budget.

Springbank 15YO for smoothness - considered to be one of the best out there. Though I do believe no self respecting Scotsman will buy it as it from Campbeltown and they sided with the English. Auchentoschen 12YO (used to be 10YO) for something cheaper.

Entry level look at Aberlour 10YO. Cheap and very easy to drink. They do another called A'bunadh which is cask-strength. Batches may vary, but all the ones I have had have hidden the 60% alc content well. Glenmorangie 10YO is also very good entry level as it is very inoffensive with a slight sweetness that make it palatable for most punters.

Avoid Ardbeg and Laphroiag initially until you have your palate acclimatised to good single malts. They can be too peaty for the average punter. Note I said "initially", as I think these are great drams. For a treat look out for Ardbeg Supernova - one of the peatiest malts you can find and very yummy. I spent most of a day just sniffing the empty glass!

Lagavulin 16YO is a classic, as is Macallan 18YO. Nothing bad can be said about these gems (except the price!).

Going Irish the Connemarra Peated Cask Strength is something to look out for as well. If I was buying blended I tend to gravitate towards the Irish blends as they are tripled distilled which makes them a little smoother in my opinion.

Also if you are going to get into whisky buy yourself some decent glasses and make sure you clean them properly as it make a big difference when tasting. I use Speaglaiu as I find them to be a good balance between cost and quality, though it depends on what neck of the woods you are in.

Remember that all single malts are good, it is just that some are better than others!

*couldn't be bother checking my spelling of some of the names, but most should be close
Some good advice in here. Glenmorangie 10 is a really good place to start.

Arrrrrrdbeg...mmmmm...I'm going to crack open my bottle of the Beast right now. Thanks!

Also, I cry a little everytime I see Lagavulin. Not because I don't like it. Quite the opposite. But I remember when Trader Joe's used to carry it for something ridiculous, like under $20 a bottle. Those days are looooooong gone. *sniffle* Still, I love that stuff.

On the Irish side of things, Middleton's is my absolute favorite. The only problem is the expense. I think it's a little too pricy for what it is. For the same price, you can get a much better bottle of scotch.

BTW, if you add water be very careful about the type of water you add. Tap water is a no no. You want either good spring water or highly purified water. The chemicals in tap water will ruin the booze.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2010, 07:18 AM

I am not an expert, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I wish I liked whisky. The way connoisseurs talk about the subtleties and variety makes it seem an enjoyable pastime. I would also love to one day take a distillery tour and enjoy the drinking as much as the experience. Alas, no matter the whisky I've tired, including quite a few of the more expensive ones on this list, I've never been able to choke down a glass- with water, ice or soda.

I've got quite a bit or redneck in my blood, and therefore enjoy a bourbon and ginger from time to time, but that's different.

On a whim recently, I tired a glass of Penderyn, which I believe is one of the only Welsh Wiskies (sp?) on the market. I'm not saying I completely enjoyed it, but I could drink it. It had many of the flavours and smells of traditional whiskey, but without the smokey or peaty taste and much less burn. I understand that Irish Whiskey is also easier to drink and I will be trying some Bushmills soon.

So if you can find it, Penderyn might be a good starter, but the purists on the board may call it rubbish.

P
Oct 20, 2010, 09:25 AM

Whisky contains water, alcohol (ethanol) and various taste substances. These taste substances can be added before distillation or after it (when storing in a vat). The more times you distill it, the more of the pre-distillation flavor is lost - it becomes only alcohol and water. Irish whiskey is triple distilled. Scotch is usually double distilled (exceptions exist - e.g. Auschentoshan is triple distilled, which makes it taste like something in between Scotch and Irish). It seems like this is the taste you do not like in Scotch.

I would recommend you to try some of the smoother whiskys - Aushentoshan is one good example, and (oft-recommended, it seems) Balvenie Doublewood. Macallan is also very good, but expensive. As for water, you should usually only add a little. Adding too much water can destroy a whisky, especially if it's aged in sherry casks. Unless it's cask strength, add only a drop.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Whisky contains water, alcohol (ethanol) and various taste substances. These taste substances can be added before distillation or after it (when storing in a vat). The more times you distill it, the more of the pre-distillation flavor is lost - it becomes only alcohol and water. Irish whiskey is triple distilled. Scotch is usually double distilled (exceptions exist - e.g. Auschentoshan is triple distilled, which makes it taste like something in between Scotch and Irish). It seems like this is the taste you do not like in Scotch.

I would recommend you to try some of the smoother whiskys - Aushentoshan is one good example, and (oft-recommended, it seems) Balvenie Doublewood. Macallan is also very good, but expensive. As for water, you should usually only add a little. Adding too much water can destroy a whisky, especially if it's aged in sherry casks. Unless it's cask strength, add only a drop.
Irish Whiskeys do not have to be triple distilled. Check Cooley Whiskey.

Irish Whiskey has to be:
1) Distilled from grains on the Island of Ireland
2) Fermented by yeast
3) "Distilled at an alcoholic strength of less than 94.8% by volume in such a way that the distillate has an aroma and flavour derived from the materials used." [Source: Irish Whiskey Notes: What is Irish Whiskey? ]. (I couldn't remember this last one, so I had to go look for it)
4) Aged at least three years in Ireland.

P
Oct 20, 2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
Irish Whiskeys do not have to be triple distilled.
I know, but they generally are, in the same way as Scotch is generally double distilled.

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2010, 03:58 PM

The only Irish I've tried and didn't hate was Red Breast.

Madison  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2010, 09:10 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm going in! I'll report back if I make it out alive

Tom

Ω
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
The only Irish I've tried and didn't hate was Red Breast.
You are obviously not trying enough whisk{e]ys!

Noticed you like Bookers which I personally think is a novelty. High alcohol, with a high price. For me in the small batch family I lean towards Knob Creek or Basil Hayden, though my desire for sweetness has waned so bourbon is no longer my drink of choice.

In your defence, Red Breast is a very good drop and very much underated.

Ω
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2010, 07:37 AM

Arrrrrrdbeg...mmmmm...I'm going to crack open my bottle of the Beast right now. Thanks!

Also, I cry a little everytime I see Lagavulin. Not because I don't like it. Quite the opposite. But I remember when Trader Joe's used to carry it for something ridiculous, like under $20 a bottle. Those days are looooooong gone. *sniffle* Still, I love that stuff.
Damn you if you have the Naim Beast! Where I am it is sold out, or a weeks wages!

For those who have never tried Lagavulin, it is considered to one of the classic Islay malts (if not THE Islay malt). When tried in a line up it always seems to show well, even for the uninitiated.

All this thread is doing is reminding me that I do not drink enough malts!

Madison  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2010, 05:24 PM

Well, I had myself my first glass of Scotch Whisky last night. I poured a couple ounces of Glenlivet 12YO Single Malt, took a few light sniffs, then took my first, gentle sip. Wow! That stuff is STRONG! I guess I'm a pansy, because it was a LOT of work to get that small amount of whisky down. The flavor was pretty rough, I'm hoping that it improves the more I drink it and get used to it, but it was not what I expected at all.

Oh well, I will give it time to see if I have a taste for it, if not, I guess I'll move on to something else, but for now, I'm in it for the bottle

Thank you to everyone who helped me, all the very good advice with absolutely no smart-ass remarks, I really appreciate everyone's time.

Thanks!

Tom

bstone
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2010, 05:25 PM

Tom, that Scotch is the best for the price and I buy it all the time.

It only goes down strong for the first 2-3 shots. After that you're numb and get drunk faster.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2010, 05:36 PM

I don't know what Turtle has against Maker's Mark, but it was smooth and, in my opinion, just fine for a first bourbon/scotch/whiskey.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ω View Post
You are obviously not trying enough whisk{e]ys!

Noticed you like Bookers which I personally think is a novelty. High alcohol, with a high price. For me in the small batch family I lean towards Knob Creek or Basil Hayden, though my desire for sweetness has waned so bourbon is no longer my drink of choice.

In your defence, Red Breast is a very good drop and very much underated.
Booker's is overpriced, but so are a lot of other ones. I like Knob Creek, but I do agree that it is a bit strong on the sweet/vanilla notes. I'll always love bourbon, though, as mint juleps are amazing.

And yes, I wish more people would try Red Breast. I'm sure there are other irish's out there I would enjoy, but that will be something for later down the road, as I just don't have that much interest in them.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Madison;
I guess I'm a pansy, because it was a LOT of work to get that small amount of whisky down.
I very often just have a finger's width, with a drop of water. It's not about the quantity.

You chose well with the Glenlivet, but I can see how you'd feel challenged by it. It's like coffee, the first sip is awful, before you know it you've developed a taste for espresso.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2010, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I don't know what Turtle has against Maker's Mark, but it was smooth and, in my opinion, just fine for a first bourbon/scotch/whiskey.
I dunno, it tasted rough and cheap.

Maybe it's the corn instead of grain.

To be honest, I don't remember which Maker's Mark it was, I assume there are various different grades.

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 21, 2010, 06:25 PM

Well, I had myself my first glass of Scotch Whisky last night. I poured a couple ounces of Glenlivet 12YO Single Malt, took a few light sniffs, then took my first, gentle sip. Wow! That stuff is STRONG! I guess I'm a pansy, because it was a LOT of work to get that small amount of whisky down. The flavor was pretty rough, I'm hoping that it improves the more I drink it and get used to it, but it was not what I expected at all.
A single ice cube or mixing 1 part spring water to 3 parts Scotch helps immensely.

Madison  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2010, 04:45 AM

I intend to tough it out and keep drinking I will take your advice of adding some spring water or a cube to the next glass. Carry on I say!

Thanks again!

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2010, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
How about that- I've bought a number of bottles of Aushentoshan as gifts for people, but have never tried it myself. I'll have to give it a go. Thanks for the tip.

Ω
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2010, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Booker's is overpriced, but so are a lot of other ones.
Being at the arse end of the world, extremes rule and dictate pricing. Bookers was more than twice the price of Knob Creek due mainly to the higher alcohol content (and hence perceived "betterness").

To the OP, don't be afraid to hate whisky. If you don't like it, you don't like it. I keep being told I should like cognac, yet every time I try it I feel like yakking! To each their own.

Forum Links
Forum Rules