Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple releases Mavericks 10.9.1, tweaks Gmail support, Shared Links

Apple releases Mavericks 10.9.1, tweaks Gmail support, Shared Links
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 16, 2013, 05:41 PM

Apple on Monday released an update for OS X Mavericks, bringing the operating system to version 10.9.1. The update tweaks the Mail client built into the OS, improving the way it interacts with Gmail (following a standalone patch that previously addressed some of the biggest issues) and fixing a number of bugs with Smart Mailboxes, search within Mail and "group" name handling from Contacts (formerly known as Address Book). It also tweaks the function of VoiceOver, fixing an issue that kept sentences with emoji characters from being read.

In addition, the update also fixes an issue that caused non-English systems to refuse to update iLife and iWork apps to the latest version. It also addresses a security issue, fixing a flaw where multiple attempts by itself could in some circumstances unlock the "local items" keychain, giving attackers with physical access to a machine the possible ability to obtain personal data. Safari was also slightly updated to version 7.0.1, fixing issues with slow updating of the Shared Links sidebar and resolving an issue with filling out website input fields.

Apple has been seeding assorted builds of the update for months now, and the company has pushed out a number of test releases. The official release, though, is now available to all Mavericks users. Mac owners can download the update through the Software Update function of the Mac App Store. A slightly different version of the update will appear for owners of the late 2013 Retina MacBook Pros, and is also available separately from the main version on Apple's support site.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Dec 16, 2013 at 07:24 PM. )

YangZone
Dec 16, 2013, 06:24 PM

It did not fix Mail/Gmail for me. Still the same buggy crap.

djbeta
Dec 16, 2013, 07:44 PM

what's their problem with Gmail? Let me guess, Google being terrible about documenting their crap.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 16, 2013, 07:57 PM

Alongside the update today is an iPhoto update... but it says I can't download it I get a (20) error code. I waited an hour. Same thing.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2013, 08:20 PM

Gmail uses a non-standard IMAP setup with additional Google functionality, like auto-archiving all sent/received messages into a sub-folder in the IMAP folder structure.

It works great with Gmail's own online email app, as well as apps that have been specifically written to support their weird implementation, but for everyone else that wants to use standard IMAP with Gmail, it has the potential to be a royal pain in the rear.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2013, 09:11 PM

And.reg: no, I believe you're mistaken. The iPhoto update, which moves the program up to version 9.5.1, came out on December 13th.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Ham Sandwich
Dec 17, 2013, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
And.reg: no, I believe you're mistaken. The iPhoto update, which moves the program up to version 9.5.1, came out on December 13th.
But I'm still getting an error (20) code.

What's going on with their website????

Forum Links
Forum Rules