Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Scattered reports of broken AirPlay mirroring in 10.9.2 appear

Scattered reports of broken AirPlay mirroring in 10.9.2 appear
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Feb 28, 2014, 01:23 AM

Threads in the Apple Support Communities reporting issues with AirPlay mirroring and extended displays after installing OS X 10.9.2 have appeared, with no clear pattern or cause determined as of yet (though having older hardware may be a factor). Apple released 10.9.2 on Monday to address a serious SSL vulnerability and to upgrade some features. Users have reported a menagerie of different issues, complicating the situation.

AirPlay glitch as discovered by AppleInsider
AirPlay glitch as discovered by AppleInsider

According to AppleInsider, reported problems range from AirPlay mirroring disappearing as an option, to audio-only connections on Apple TV, to an inability to mirror or extend desktops to another display using AirPlay. Both AI and MacNN have run tests on OS X 10.9.2 on a variety of hardware, with differing results.

AI was able to recreate some issues with a mid-2011 MacBook Air and third-generation Apple TV (running 10.9.2 and iOS 6.0.2, both the latest releases for those devices). It also tested a late-2013 MacBook Pro with the same model of Apple TV, but in that case no issues were reported. MacNN tested a 2009 MacBook Pro and performed AirPlay audio and video tests with an iPhone 5s and a third-generation iPad (the former on 10.9.2, the latter devices on iOS 7.0.6) with no issues.

That said, most of the users reporting the issues had previously (under 10.9.1 or earlier) used AirPlay without issue, indicating a genuine problem, but the social comparing of notes on the problems has only recently begun and thus far haven't found a common identifier. The issues were said to persist through hard resets and other troubleshooting.

noibs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2014, 09:08 AM

Have a mid-2011 MacBook Air and third gen Apple TV. Just tried Airplay extended display after reading this. Everything fine. Not saying that some don't have a problem, but I have that issue.

noibs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2014, 09:08 AM

Have a mid-2011 MacBook Air and third gen Apple TV. Just tried Airplay extended display after reading this. Everything fine. Not saying that some don't have a problem, but I DON'T have that issue.

azrich
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2014, 10:20 AM

I lost audio over HDMI on two 2011 era Macs. Weird stuff. I don't have an airplay display but the airplay audio works. Luckily I can get audio out of the headphone jack where I really need it. I figure this is small potatoes vs the security holes 10.9.2 patched, right?

Flying Meat
Senior User
Feb 28, 2014, 01:23 PM

I hope they'll slow down their OS release schedule so that most of their users can experience at least 1 full year of stable operation.
About the time they get sort of close, a new OS version is released with a boat load of fabulous new issues.

YangZone
Feb 28, 2014, 02:10 PM

Macbook: airplay works mostly but had to do a restart of everything to continue at one point yesterday (would only cast audio). iPad seems normal.

Ham Sandwich
Feb 28, 2014, 04:44 PM

So only Macbook Airs are having this problem?

Well that's inconceivable, all the problems should just vanish into thin air.

SirDennis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2014, 11:17 PM

Yes, I do have this problem on my late-2011 iMac w/Mavericks. Any idea when Apple will issue a fix, or is there one out already?

Forum Links
Forum Rules