Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > RADEON...Finally!

RADEON...Finally!
Phaedrus
Sep 13, 2000, 07:25 PM

Finally, RADEON is BTO at www.applestore.com. You can get it for the Powermacs and for the cube, $99.

I can't wait to hear some reports on it. Jobs said it is "twice as fast" as the RAGE 128 pro, whatever that means.

The voodoo 5 will be released in an AGP version, too!

------------------

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 13, 2000, 10:22 PM

Twice as fast, huh? Remember, the G4 is also twice as fast as a gigahertz PC...and we all know what that means. So take it with a grain of salt, as I'm sure you've already done.
That said, it is a great addition to the lineup. I can hardly wait till they come out with the neutered version for the iMac.

Blizzard.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

AMS
Sep 14, 2000, 01:29 AM

Yeah..I ordered a barebones dual g4 with a radeon...hope it proves to be as good as people have been mentioning. i'll let you know when i get the system.

Cipher13
Sep 14, 2000, 07:39 AM

[sarc]
Yep, its finally here - the best option for graphics cards we Mac users have. All 32 megs of it...
[/sarc]
But seriously, whats it like with DVD's? Noticeably faster than the current Rage in the G4's?

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 09-14-2000).]

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2000, 07:12 PM

Unfortunately, a Mac with RADEON still sucks against any PC running ATi's RADEON or an nVidia GeForce^2 GTS/Ultra.

I'm happy that Apple has finally made the RADEON an option, but I'm still waiting for nVidia cards for the Mac.

nVidia is the market leader. nVidia makes the best graphics cards. 3dfx missed a development cycle. The end.

willpower
Sep 15, 2000, 11:29 AM

Radeon is even more improved for DVD I saw it in person at MacWorld Expo NYC. They added some new stuff to make the picture look sharper, more detailed, smoother colors, less pixelation and draw faster so it performs a lot better. xlr8yourmac forums has somebody who works on this at ATi and he explained all the differences in detail. The retail Radeon will have video-out so you can watch it on your TV!!!

Voodoo5 AGP is too little too late. On Macs the Voodoo 3 is still faster and so much cheaper (not so big and hot either). In many PC benchmarks I saw the Radeon outperforms everything else including Nvidia at very high resolutions with full 32bit color. Besides Nvidia is known for really buggy drivers.

Hyper-Z is ATi only technology which eliminates a lot of wasted bandwidth. OpenGL 1.2 for Mac with texture, clipping and lighting engine support will be great - I can't wait!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2000, 02:24 PM

Know your facts, dude. The GeForce^2 GTS creams the RADEON, and it's cheaper! ATi has a good product, but in my experience, it is a "no name brand", and has sucky drivers for the PC. nVidia Detonator 3 drivers absolutely rock.

Fine. If you want even more convincing, nVidia's GeForce^2 MX is only $150, and yet is faster than the original GeForce. The MX supports two monitors, too.

nVidia has the best offering. Period.

Check Tom's Hardware, Thresh's FiringSquad, or pretty much any other gaming magazine. RADEON doesn't do as well as the nVidia chips, especially now that the GeForce^2 Ultra is out. The only time the RADEON does better is at unplayable resolutions (1600 by 1200). You still get a bunch of chop.

Now that Detonator 3 drivers are out, the RADEON gets creamed once more. Wait until the end of the year, and maybe the NV20 will be out. That will revolutionize gaming.

Take a hint. Microsoft is using nVidia for its X-Box. Sure, Nintendo is using ATi for its Dolphin console, but nVidia has a larger user base and great prices. They also sell chips, not cards.

[This message has been edited by seanyepez (edited 09-18-2000).]

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2000, 02:26 PM

Can you give me the site that supposately shows the RADEON outperforming the GeForce^2 GTS?

Blakhawkg3
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2000, 04:28 PM

CNET article
http://www.gamecenter.com/Hardware/R...ge/?st.gc.ha.b

In this link, the Geforce 2 GTS 64 MB doesn't seem too far behind the Radeon at 1600 X 1200...
http://www.gamecenter.com/Hardware/R...ge/chart2.html

If I had a real choice, I'd pick up a Geforce 2 GTS because its about $110 cheaper and still fast. The V5's don't seem to be that fast in the PC world; they're only good for FSAA.

-Blakhawkg3

c022
Sep 28, 2000, 02:18 PM

I just got this email from ATI sales:

Currently we have no plans on manufacturing the All in Wonder Radeon for the
MAC.

Should you have further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,
ATI Sales Support

Aaaaaaaaaargh, anyone know if the regular radeon for the mac will have DVD capabilities??? I have an older beige G3 and would have loved to have the AIW Radeon PCI card. I know PCI video cards are fading away like there's no tomorrow, but come on. Not everyone can afford to by a new mac with an AGP slot. I'm still paying for my imac 266! Sorry people for bitchin. Anyone have any suggestions for a PCI card??? I plan on buying some of the kick **s games coming out for the Mac and want to be able to play those and DVD's. Can the Rage Orion or the VR 128? I don't see any sites posting that DVD playback is available for these two cards. Thanks!

Trevor Covert
Sep 28, 2000, 02:35 PM

The Radeon Mac Edition will be appearing in a PCI version in November, according to sources at ATI. I'm pretty sure it has DVD capabilities as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules