Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Relocating /Users directory

Relocating /Users directory
ColonelSawtooth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2001, 11:52 PM

I have recently upgraded from OS X server, Mac Manager 1.2 to OS X 10.0 and I'm running into some problems setting up the user directories.

With OSXS 1.2, I easily relocated the Manintosh Manager folder to a seperate internal SCSI drive which was better suited for a large number of user accounts.

After reading the 10.0 admin manual, I set-up a share point on the SCSI drive and made it the default location for user accounts. Everything seems fine until I create a new user and attempt to login - just when the desktop appears, I get a warning that the home folder cannot be accessed and most of the dock icons are generic folders.

My ultimate goal is to have all the Macintosh Manager users files stored on the seperate SCSI partiton and the OS and local user folder on the other partition. I have to get this sucker set-up before classes start and the students arrive (8/27) or I risk tarnishing the Macintosh name at work. Please help!
--
The Colonel

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2001, 08:07 AM

Just throwing out some ideas.... (I'm not a OSXS pro by any stretch)... That being said...

Have you checked the permisions placed on that volume? You should make sure they are the same as the permisions found on /Users (the 'default' place for users home directories)

I think it should look something like this... (replace SCSIHD with the name of your SCSI HD)

drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 126 Aug 21 00:20 /Volumes/SCSIHD/Users

Once that's done you should also double check to make sure that the users directories (found below /Volumes/SCSIHD/Users) are set correctly as well).

Please let me (us) know if this works (and or) what finally does fix the problem... I'll be doing something very similar in a few months time.

D

ColonelSawtooth  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2001, 08:50 AM

That's one thing that I didn't do. What I had tried is setting the owner to root (rw), the group to nobody (r) and assigning read only permissions to everyone - exactly as the admin manual states. I never thought of checking the permissions on the local users folder and copying the permisisons.

The strange behavior that occured is that when I logged in as the "test" user, I would get the error and the dock icons would be messed up - but I couldn't see anything in the SCSI drive. If I tried to navigate to it in the finder, but it appeared as if it were completely empty. Then I logged out, logged in as root and looked in the alternate /Users (called MMUsers) in the SCSI drive. The typical folder was in there for "test" with the correct permissions on it. No obvious reason for any problems.

I even tried relocating a current users home directory to the new folder. As soon as I achanges it from the Server Admin program, I experienced the same problems as the "test" user. When I changed the home directory back to the local volume, things worked fine.

I am wondering if this is something that I am doing, or it's a system level bug. I have another machine that I am going to test on today.
--
The Colonel

Forum Links
Forum Rules