Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Toast and OSX

Toast and OSX
sumsugar
Dec 21, 2001, 10:44 AM

I' read something about this being addressed a few weeks ago but can't seem to find out any more about it. I have a Que Fire 16x10x40 that is recognized by OSX without a problem, can burn cd's no problem,rip, itunes no problem. THE PROBLEM is when I try to rewrite or erase a disc from toast i get a "Connection is unstable error". I know that I can erase a disc using disk utility but that takes forever. I prefer toast's quick erase option but I guess I'm S.O.L.
Anyone have any input or point me in direction to see if this is a toast issue or a OS X issue.
BTW:
DT/G3/300 with Encore Zif G4/500
512 RAM
PCI Firewire
MD Dual 1 Gigger with iBook 600 at the ready...

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2001, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by sumsugar:
<STRONG>I' read something about this being addressed a few weeks ago but can't seem to find out any more about it. I have a Que Fire 16x10x40 that is recognized by OSX without a problem, can burn cd's no problem,rip, itunes no problem. THE PROBLEM is when I try to rewrite or erase a disc from toast i get a "Connection is unstable error". I know that I can erase a disc using disk utility but that takes forever. I prefer toast's quick erase option but I guess I'm S.O.L.
Anyone have any input or point me in direction to see if this is a toast issue or a OS X issue.
BTW:
DT/G3/300 with Encore Zif G4/500
512 RAM
PCI Firewire </STRONG>
I assume you're talking about the Toast beta for OS X. It's a Toast issue; it happens for me and I have seen the same report by others. However, I don't find that Disk Utility takes any longer to quick-erase a CD-RW than the OS 9 version of Toast. Are you enabling the "Quick Erase" option in Disk Utility?

sumsugar  (op)
Dec 21, 2001, 11:40 AM

Oddly enough I could never use the quick erase option in disk utility, it was always greyed out. I installed 10.1.2 update this morning, read your reply and said well, maybe I was having a brain cloud and just couldn't figure out how to enable "quick erase". Much to my surprise it was available this time, checked the box and hot damn it worked fine.
Not sure if it was the update, but sure appears to be.

BTW: Is there any hope that OS X will be apple to burn "session" discs?
MD Dual 1 Gigger with iBook 600 at the ready...

nevets291968
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2001, 01:59 PM

Hey all , Im new to the apple world as well as this forum so please
bear with me.
I'm currently running the latest version of OS X ( including the latest
update posted last night ). I have a Imac DV+ ( 450 mhz , 192 mb's ram).I
have a Lacie 16/10/40 usb / firewire. My problem is this... I cant make Itunes (2.03 i believe ) see the burner.I did check the itunes list of approved burners and mine was on the list. Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance.

Steve
"If your going to believe in something , why not believe in me?" - Robert Owens

ColonelSawtooth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2001, 02:10 PM

Hello nevets291968, and wecome to the Mac communtiy.

I have a Yamaha 2200 that is also on the "supported" list, that works in the Finder, that works under Toast Preview 2, yet is still not recognized in iTunes (2.03). I've made sure that I have the latest firmware, but I've never had any luck getting it to work. It's not that iTunes is the best solution for burning CDs, but Toast really irritates me when I drag a CDs worth of mp3's from iTunes and they are re-ordered in the compilation window. To anyone out there with a solution or suggestion - any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
The Colonel

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2001, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by ColonelSawtooth:
[QB]I have a Yamaha 2200 /QB]
I do too... same problem here...

Heard there was a trick by changing some things in a file of the system, but can't figure it out No time

If you get an answer...

Thanks!

NeilCharter
Senior User
Dec 21, 2001, 03:08 PM

Try switching the drive off and on again whilst the mac is on. If that doesn't work then restart. Sometimes this worked for earlier builds.
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

ColonelSawtooth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2001, 12:50 PM

I have tried every possible combination of switching the drive on and booting/re-booting the machine to no avail. Does anyone know where to get more information about changing system files like iNeusch mentions - I did a forum search and came up with nothing.
--
The Colonel

Forum Links
Forum Rules