Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook to replace Powerbook

iBook to replace Powerbook
lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2005, 08:11 AM

Hey guys,
I guess this forum is a good spot to request information. Here is the deal. I went into CompUSA last week and they had dual 1.8 for $1299.00 (256RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, Nvidia 5200, SuperDrive). I actually bought the machine and took it home, only to return it the next day. Why? THe price seemed nice, but when I considered what it would cost to upgrade it, when compared to the current models (student and student developer's prices) it just wasn't worth it. Plus, I already have a decent, hand-built PC desktop.
So, I return it for an ibook, which is what I really should have bough in the first place. I find out that they have a returned powerbook selling for $1149.00 (15inch, 1.33Ghz, 256RAM, 60GB hard drive - 4200rpm I think, Combo Drive). I take this baby home and after a couple of days of light use I realize this machine may not be (no matter how nice) what I am looking for. Why?
1. It gets warm when compared to an ibook. I realize the AL is designed as a heat sink, but it is weird. I am sure I could get used to it.
2. It doesn't have the auto-parking hard drive head like the ibook, I think.
3. The machine seems much more fragile compared to a 12inch ibook. I am extremely careful whenever I move it, which is unlike how I was with my first ibook years ago.
4. The battery life isn't a good as the ibook.
5. The airport reception isn't as nice as the ibook.

BUT,
1. The screen is WONDERFUL.
2. The keyboard seems a bit nicer
3. The ibook is now so WHITE! It used to have a nice silver interior, but now it is a very, very light grey which picks up dirt like crazy.

What do I do? Take back the powerbook and buy an ibook, or just try and live with the heat, battery life and fragile powerbook? Thanks.

P.S. This machine is merely a university notebook. It will be used for email, papers, web browsing, etc. No gaming; that is what my home PC is for (I am hold out for the second generation intel Mac to replace the desktop - no hurry)

If anyone has been in this situation or would just like to tell me about the benefits of thier ibooks, PLEASE do so! Thanks and have a great Labor Day weekend.
( Last edited by lamewing; Sep 4, 2005 at 08:20 AM. )

lamewing  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2005, 08:38 PM

Hmm,
Did I write the most uninteresting post this weekend?

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2005, 08:53 PM

I "downgraded" (depending on how you look at it) from a Al PB 15" (1.5Ghz, 1.5GB, 80GB) to a new 12" iBook (1.33Ghz, 1.5GB, 60GB) and it was a great choice. When I'm traveling with it, it's lighter, much, much better battery life (5+ hrs), better airport, and I'm not afraid to scratch it or dent it. When I'm at home, it's hooked up to a 19" LCD (screen spanning hack) and external BT mouse and keyboard, and it works great. Since the majority of my usage is at home, I haven't had a problem with getting the iBook dirty. The screen isn't as nice as the 15", but when you're traveling with it, you end up dimming the screen anyways.

fleaplus
Sep 4, 2005, 09:39 PM

These new iBooks are pretty amazing. I got a 12" 1.33ghz to replace my 1ghz AlBook, and its pretty in every aspect except video card. The processor is faster, and runs cooler, so I can use it on my lap. The powerbooks were still 4200rpm hdd's back then so no contest with the ibook. The battery life is like 5.5hrs with wireless... compared to the powerbook's 1 hour or so. The screen is on par quality-wise (it actually displays 200-200-200+ greys pretty well!!) and his nice even backlighting and no white spots or dead pixels. Apple has really improved the ram situation with these. I was able to pick up a 512mb stick on a good deal this labor day weekend so 1GB should take care of any ram limitations with my non-pro usage..

UT2004 is running like crap on the ibook, but that game is already getting boring anyways. I'll probably just get an xbox 360 or PS3 when they come out. My Apple Store experience was alot better this time also. Last time I went in (to buy a Mac mini) the apple rep was VERY rude and got pretty mad that I didn't want to buy Norton Anti-virus or an extended applecare warranty with the machine. I guess that this would probably happen at any B&M Computer store, but Apple is better than that as far as im concerned.
MacBook Pro (Mid 2007), 2.4Ghz, 2GB DDR2-667Mhz, 160GB, Superdrive, Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT w/256MB, 15.4" WXGA+ LCD

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 12:06 AM

I'm VERY happy with my 12" 1.33 iBook. I do worry about the white keyboard and hand rest... but I think it will be fine. Just wipe it down from time to time with a cleaner. ALSO, it was only $949... with a free iPod mini. I just couldn't pass it up.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 12:56 AM

I just got my new 12" ibook and love it. I'm replaceing my 1 year old alum PB at the same clock speed. Both have 80 gig HD and my PB ram fits my ibook so I now have a gig. I think the battery life is MUCH better in my ibook and the fan never runs, unlike my fan crazy PB. overall feels cheaper but hey, it is!!

I like it, just wish it was like 1.42 like the 14"s. oh well

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2005, 05:11 AM

Will the laptop be your main computer (i.e. is the home PC for gaming only?)? If so, the 15" PB's better screen will be easier on the eyes for extended usage.
Will you be hauling it around a lot? If so, the 12" iBook's greater durability and battery life, plus lighter weight, would make it the favorite.

lamewing  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2005, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by brettcamp
Will the laptop be your main computer (i.e. is the home PC for gaming only?)? If so, the 15" PB's better screen will be easier on the eyes for extended usage.
Will you be hauling it around a lot? If so, the 12" iBook's greater durability and battery life, plus lighter weight, would make it the favorite.
Home PC is for gaming, web browsing and PC specific software. The mac notelbook is for carrying to university on a daily basis. That is why I am considering the ibook instead. It won't be as nice to look at or feel as solid, but I don't think I would be so worried about banging it up compared to this really good looking powerbook.

If only the current powerbooks were built as tough-feeling as the Pismos or the clamshell iBooks!!!!

gradient
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 08:42 AM

I'll continue the iBook love-in here cuz I'm still ecstatic still about my 12" 1.33 model. My ONLY complaint is the white white white aspect - I use mine at work (admitedly not a very clean environment) and after just a few weeks it's dirty dirty dirty. I always feel like I should wash my hands before I use it but overall its a beautiful machine for the money.

lamewing  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2005, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by gradient
I'll continue the iBook love-in here cuz I'm still ecstatic still about my 12" 1.33 model. My ONLY complaint is the white white white aspect - I use mine at work (admitedly not a very clean environment) and after just a few weeks it's dirty dirty dirty. I always feel like I should wash my hands before I use it but overall its a beautiful machine for the money.
Yep, I agree. I wish Apple had kept the original silver painted interior versus the white/grey interior. Not to mention the old ibooks were translucent (painted white on the inside) versus the solid white outside that Apple introduced with the iBook 900 models.

castle3
Sep 8, 2005, 03:06 PM

I have the 800 mhz G3 with 256mb RAM with combo drive and Airport card. I had this ibook for about 3 years. I run webdesign and audio recoring software. This particular ibook has been a workhorse for me for a good while. Despite the faulty logic board recall issue that Apple handled amazingly (and very speedily might I add), this machine has definitely payed for itself at least two times all ready. I can only imagine how much better the new G4's have to be. Even though I really am not attracted to its super white color scheme, it still seems to offer toughness and is able to handle rigorous programs like Protools and Flash. And on 256mb of Ram! I know I know..I need to upgrade the RAM!

If your tasks require general note taking, IM'ing, webbrowsing and the occaisional DVD or CD burning, then I would say that the ibook is the best bet...b/c if you ever wanted to get into more involved activities, the newer ibooks (i feel) would do that job effectively.

Now that Im graduating soon and my ibook is begining its final years of working, Im strongly considering getting a new ibook over a more capable powerbook. Why? probably because it has been a durable machine and has proven itself time and time again...maybe i got lucky and just happened to get a really good machine...but then again..it does have a new lease on life with its new logic board...even so..back when it DID have a bad logic board...it still ran like a dream.
Thats not to say that powerbooks aren't good...I think it depends and what you need.
( Last edited by castle3; Sep 8, 2005 at 03:37 PM. )
one day you are going to wake up and
live.

Forum Links
Forum Rules