Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Need Help With Mac Hater

Need Help With Mac Hater
nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 06:51 PM

Here is the situation. I started using macs back in 1998 when i was in school for web design. my parents got me a powerbook G3. ever since then i have loved macs, the os, everything. anyways my dad who is an engineer uses windows with all his cad programs and design programs. he pretty much rips on my macs whenever he visits me, last time he was visiting my mother made the comment that the next time i get a new machine i could sell my ibook to her, and he says you cant do anything with macs. and also said my new airport extreme was just an expensive apple add on. what i need help with is trying to find an article from a pc user or pc lover talking about some of the misconceptions of using a mac after using one. i just want to get my dad some information about macs...i love the guy and want him to stop his mac bashing thanks guys,

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2004, 08:01 PM

Just let him use your iBook every so often. Make sure he uses a good web browser like Safari rather than IE, and other basic things like that. He'll discover on his own how nice OS X is.

For good measure, toss a digital camera into the deal, and have him try to make it work on both the iBook and a PC.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

fireside
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2004, 08:04 PM

show him the recent AnandTech macblog.

Shinigami
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2004, 08:48 PM

Sedate him, steal his money, and buy mac peripherals while putting virus after virus on his Window's PC.

iPods solve all.

ryju
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2004, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by Shinigami:
Sedate him, steal his money, and buy mac peripherals while putting virus after virus on his Window's PC.

iPods solve all.
Love your sig.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2004, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by Shinigami:
(...)while putting virus after virus on his Window's PC.
He already has enough, I bet...

I have always had problems with Mac-haters/Windows-lovers. They always seem to be really really stubborn in their opinions. I think the best thing to do is ignore any bragging about Windows, and any insulting of Macs. Then, any time he has any complaint about his computer, or computers in general (e.g. "Word was really slow for me this morning") you can say something like "Really? I haven't had any problems".
Might not do anything, but...

bobthecannibal
Mar 24, 2004, 09:02 PM

Simple ask him how many times he has had to format his windows machine in the last few months. My record is 28 times over 2 months and every time it was due to windows xp pro (stable yeah right) going screwy either cause of hardware updates or new software installed could of been a few viruses but i always kept norton up to date. Now i have had my emac for about the same time and ive only turned it off four times.
currently being converted from pc to mac

hayesk
Mar 24, 2004, 10:07 PM

How about this:

"Hey Dad! Why don't you keep your ignorant bullsh*t to yourself? Maybe if you had two clues about the Mac platform I'd think your asinine opinions were worth a damn! But you don't know jack sh*t about Macs so your childish little comments are simply annoying at best. So please, either learn something about the platform you are criticizing or just shut the f*ck up!"

Too much?

(edit: fixed spelling, thanks MF)
( Last edited by hayesk; Mar 25, 2004 at 10:12 AM. )

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2004, 10:16 PM

Excellent. Asinine is one S, though.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2004, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
How about this:

Too much?
my thoughts... but a wee bit harsh.

ask him "do you want extra virii with taht?"

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules