Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tim Burton's BIG FISH movie.

Tim Burton's BIG FISH movie.
busket68
Banned
Feb 8, 2004, 11:46 PM

Just saw it today. It was pretty surreal, which I think was one of the main goals of the film. I liked the main character, but his son (and wife) annoyed me. It just seemed kinda... clashing. American parents. Metrosexual son with cheek bones that could cut glass with his frenchie wife. Anyway, ignoring that, it was cool. Whoever the director of photography was did a pretty good job... pretty conservative in real life, and in the stories everything looked so picturesque.

Anyway, I'd check it out. It's much better than most things out right now, and Tim Burton's imagination is pretty crazy.

- Ca$h

L E
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2004, 02:31 AM

Tim Burton should be sodomized to death, and the film should have been scrapped at the scriptwriting stage.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by L E:
Tim Burton should be sodomized to death, and the film should have been scrapped at the scriptwriting stage.
Well you got to speak your mind out.

My mind is made up, great film. Tim Burton is a great director. Wonderful at making something border on fantasy and reality. Case in point batman. Comic-like yet not cheesy.

and that is just one. I can't wait to see what he can do with willy wonka but I have my doubts about johnny depp being wonka... Gene Wilder was great as willy wonka and almost everything else he has done.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2004, 03:46 AM

Originally posted by L E:
oh crap. its L E. Run awaaaaay.

still havent seen this flick, but the trailers i caught in the fall looked pretty cool. if i could remember them.

L E
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2004, 04:07 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
oh crap. its L E. Run awaaaaay.
what?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2004, 04:35 AM

run awaaaaay! thats what.

oh wait, youre not an admin here.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2004, 09:30 AM

UPDATE FOR DVD:

I just rented Big Fish on DVD and was pleasantly surprised. The visuals were stunning and the story was entertaining enough to keep my attention during the whole movie (something that many of the current crop of "20 something" films haven't been doing). I agree with cash that the younger son and wife bothered me a little with their lack of compassion for their father, but I can understand where the son was coming from with respect to the lack of information regarding his youth.

A good Netflix selection for those wanting a family-friendly movie that's actually interesting.

Mitchell's Raiting: 3.5 out of 5

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 09:35 AM

It was decent enough...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2004, 09:43 AM

I can't wait for Burton's next movie...the re-make of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2004, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
I can't wait for Burton's next movie...the re-make of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"...

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 09:50 AM

You must be joking, right?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2004, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Can't say that I am and be telling the truth...

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 09:53 AM

Can't say that I am and be telling the truth...
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 10:13 AM

Vincent. Still the best.

OH-N'omac
Jun 18, 2004, 10:47 AM

Loved pre-"Planet of the Apes" Tim Burton, but hated this movie. I could not get over Ewan MacGregor's horrible, fake-sounding southern accent. It was quirky, but just too "feel-good" and corny for my tastes.

Willie Wonka remake...Ugh, please, no more remakes. Really, the movie was good enough the first time. I wish Hollywood would just leave old titles alone.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by djohnson:
No he is not, and Johnny Depp is the star. Depp can pull anything off.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 11:49 AM

Just watched it the other night...were LE and I the only ones that were disappointed? Poor acting and characters on top of a story with little volume (if a few interesting but minute ideas that weren't executed very well).
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
Just watched it the other night...were LE and I the only ones that were disappointed?
LE (Chris) is a 16 year old computer nerd on Anti-depressants so I don't think it would be to easy to please him.

The movie was very well done and this type of movie usually isn't my thing.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2004, 12:24 PM

Set design and casting (other than that son/wife) was very well done but story and special effects are really lacking (some of the special effects made me cringe). I love the concept of story though.

There's also too much tripod (standstill) camera. In a movie like Big Fish, the camera SHOULD be lively and free. It'll make the world appear bigger.

I'm not as disappointed as some people because my expectation wasn't high to begin with (after seeing that TB's Planet of the Crap movie). Overall, I'd give it 2 stars out of 4.

Shinigami
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2004, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by mrfrost:
Vincent. Still the best.

Agreed. But Big Fish was cool, too. I saw it on PPV a few days ago. I actually only paid for it because Tim Burton was part, but yeah, it was good.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2004, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
Just watched it the other night...were LE and I the only ones that were disappointed? Poor acting and characters on top of a story with little volume (if a few interesting but minute ideas that weren't executed very well).
Don't try arguing this point, you'll lose (though I agree.)

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2004, 03:49 AM

I've actually been to a chocolate factory and its nothing like the one portrayed in the original film.

Let hope Tim Burton's remake is slightly more realistic than the 1971 original.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2004, 04:07 AM

I don't think the original film was going for anything really ... "realistic."

Anyway, for BIg Fish, I agree with the complaints about the acting and characters at times, but I enjoyed the story. It kept me interested and wanting to watch. The end may have drug a little, but I liked the film as a whole. I'd recommend it.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 19, 2004, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
LE (Chris) is a 16 year old computer nerd on Anti-depressants so I don't think it would be to easy to please him.

The movie was very well done and this type of movie usually isn't my thing.
What does him being on anti-depressants have to do with anything?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2004, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
its a stigma thats easily mocked by a society that thinks people should be able to handle their problems better. youd figure a gay man would be better behaved than to mock someone so openly for something like that, considering the suicide rate of gay teens and whatnot.

oh ya. ontopic, i think its a pretty good movie. a nice story. modern fairy tale type thing. im glad burton could keep away from his typical dark boring imagery and actually managed to produce something with some amount of creativity.

i loath the thought of a remake of the chocolate factory. we'll see.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2004, 05:32 PM

The most interesting aspect of the movie, to me is the Spaulding Grey angle.

For those of you who don't know, Spaulding Grey was a story teller of great renknown, at one time. Some of his stuff is pretty cool, like the film about how he dealt with macular degeneration.

Anyway, this great spinner of stories watches Big Fish (a movie about a big story teller) and then immediately afterwards jumps off a bridge in NY and kills himself. Body found in water several days later.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2004, 02:52 AM

Good movie, the elements all came togetehr pretty well. Although i didnt find Ewan McGregors acting all that great. i like storytelling a lot, and this movie was full of it. The recreation of the stories was pretty cool, with special effects making the whole thing look like its right out of a childrens fairytale book.
But at thes ame time, i felt the movie was lacking something....cant really say what it was, but it just didnt seem to have that umph that makes it a timeless classic.
Tim Burton is great as well, and my only inclination to rent this movie was the fact that he directed it.
I should probably watch this movie again.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2004, 05:03 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Beats the hell out of me. I got off of them over a year ago. And, going on this guy's logic, I've been 16 for about three years now, give or take a few months.
Originally posted by scaught:
its a stigma thats easily mocked by a society that thinks people should be able to handle their problems better. youd figure a gay man would be better behaved than to mock someone so openly for something like that, considering the suicide rate of gay teens and whatnot.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2004, 05:24 AM

Originally posted by scaught:
there's hope yet for the americas
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

John F. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2004, 12:57 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules