Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MacWorld Boston

MacWorld Boston
Jaey
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 05:35 PM

Yeah.. So me and Frisbee are here at MacWorld Boston at the eBay-sponsored internet cafe. I'm such a MacNN addict that I felt like I should start a thread.
I read in some other thread that some of you want pictures. Is this still true?

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2004, 06:47 PM

post it and they will come</ominous and gay sounding voice>

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2004, 09:38 PM

I'm going to be at the expo tomorrow (7/14).

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2004, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by DeathToWindows:
I'm going to be at the expo tomorrow (7/14).
ditto.
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

registered_user
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2004, 11:16 PM

I was there today. It's small. But it's still cool. hp has one of the new 23" displays, and it's real nice. Much nicer than I'd have thought -- very stable, very well designed.

I also really digged the MacQuarium lecture by grandmaster Andy.

I have no pictures, however.

Shinigami
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2004, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by Jaey:
Yeah.. So me and Frisbee are here at MacWorld Boston at the eBay-sponsored internet cafe. I'm such a MacNN addict that I felt like I should start a thread.
I read in some other thread that some of you want pictures. Is this still true?
Pictures. Now.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 12:40 AM

in before gorickey

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2004, 01:11 AM

Is it so lame that nobody's taking pictures??

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by starman:
Apparently so.

turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2004, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by starman:
ThinkSecret has a few (crappy) photos. Looks pretty desolate to me.

turboSPE

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 02:57 AM

It's a shame. I was at Applefest in Boston back in 89 and 90. There are no Mac shows period like those anymore.

registered_user
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2004, 09:14 AM

It wasn't that lame. It was an expo. I didn't take pics because my Elph is screwy. Either the battery charger broken, or the camera discharges the battery after 4 or so pics.

Tell you what though, and it's kinda sad to admit, spymac had the coolest booth. Probably because they took a novel idea of hanging a curtain around it so you couldn't see what was in it. And they had a spotlight that circled the inside of the booth casting shadows of the people in it against the curtain. It was little more than a swag shop once you went it, but the booth was cool.

Belkin's was cool too, actually. But in that modern booth sort of way.

JBL has a freaking stellar iPod speaker thing. It's spot on.

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2004, 01:08 PM

i'm at the show right now, and you know what, all things considered, it's pretty good. there's a lot of people here. and there's even a fair amount of stuff. the stuff is all from small companies and organizations, but some of it is pretty darn cool nevertheless, even if it isn't from the big guns. that's not to say i'm optimistic about the future of these things, but they seem to have done a fine job with this one, and honestly, i wasn't sure that would be the case, given the gloomy predictions. pity i couldn't justify paying for the actual conferences; they looked to be well-attended by looking in the doors.

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2004, 02:42 PM

here.

now.

It's better than staying home and doing laundry...

show is all on one level

beautiful new conference center, could drive a mack truck down the corridors

not a single ATM in the entire place *really*

it's fun regardless of turnout (vendors that is..plenty of people)

sat through a few presentations, audio stuff, etc.

Prolly spend a little money and go home

edit:

The sound controller board and rack that Berklee Music brought along was incredible.
( Last edited by shunt; Jul 14, 2004 at 10:37 PM. )
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

macx0r
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2004, 03:39 PM

I'll be heading to the expo tomorrow (thursday) during an "extended" lunch...

Jaey  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 04:25 PM

We took a couple pictures today. One of the highlights is the Lexus with an Xserve in the back. There's also an "oasis day spa." I don't know why.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2004, 10:31 PM

My wife and I were at MacWorld Boston today. Had a good time. Met two people from the internet. We plan to visit again tomorrow!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 11:00 PM

The AppleFest and MacWorlds used to be worth traveling to. Nowadays, if you're in town, it's great to stop by, but not worth going out of your way for. I guess part of it has to do with the interenet, and how easy it is to hear about new products that in the past you would never see unless you were at the show...

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2004, 12:27 AM

the tricked-out car from tech superpowers is pretty cool. i was really impressed by the demos for sketchup; that is a really cool idea. not useful for CAD quite so much (although certainly there is potential there), but it's really quite clever, and watching it in action is pretty cool.

and since when did spymac become an isp, among other things, much less one that could hand out free hats? they weren't a very good rumor site; i'm not sure what that bodes for their other competencies...

mollusk
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2004, 11:13 PM

I went Wednesday. Had never been to one before and was not too impressed. Did see some educational software and the presentations by Berklee School of music were awesome. Met David Pouge. Then got lost trying to drive to the Apple store in Cambridge and said good bye to my ibook for a repair because the touch pad seems to be rising. Then got stuck in traffic going home. I am having withdrawals.

sideus
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 11:18 PM

There's a Macworld Boston?

I completely forgot about it ever since Apple pulled out. Didn't even know it was this week if it hadn't been for this thread.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2004, 12:58 PM

I'm already looking forward to MacWorld Boston 2005. The ones that I spoke with enjoyed themselves. The vendors seemed to be pleased, said they did 20% more business than expected. IMHO, think that it will be even better next year.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 17, 2004, 01:12 PM

They're going to repeat this fiasco next year again ?

I would hope that they would come to their senses and make it in NYC again. And no, I don't have anything in particular against boston, I just think it was lame that they moved it from NYC.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2004, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
I would hope that they would come to their senses and make it in NYC again. And no, I don't have anything in particular against boston, I just think it was lame that they moved it from NYC.
NYC made no business sense. Already vendors were pulling out because it's just too expensive to exhibit in NYC (Macworld CreativePro in 2003 was pretty lame, too), Apple doesn't really want more than one US show a year (they have been moving away from product cycles dictated by Stevenotes over the past few years). AFAICT the east coast show is dying.

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 17, 2004, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
NYC made no business sense. Already vendors were pulling out because it's just too expensive to exhibit in NYC (Macworld CreativePro in 2003 was pretty lame, too), Apple doesn't really want more than one US show a year (they have been moving away from product cycles dictated by Stevenotes over the past few years). AFAICT the east coast show is dying.
It was not Apple's decision to move it to Boston. They wanted it in NYC. I was at the NYC macworld last time, and there were plenty of people there. Judging by the pathetic pictures I've seen from the Boston show, I'd say there is no doubt as to which place is better.

And I believe you're wrong about the east coast show dying. You ever been to MacWorld NY ?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2004, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
It was not Apple's decision to move it to Boston. They wanted it in NYC. I was at the NYC macworld last time, and there were plenty of people there. Judging by the pathetic pictures I've seen from the Boston show, I'd say there is no doubt as to which place is better.

And I believe you're wrong about the east coast show dying. You ever been to MacWorld NY ?
MacWorld NY is dead. The Boston show is in the rebuilding phase. I don't thing Steve would have been in NY either.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2004, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
MacWorld NY is dead. The Boston show is in the rebuilding phase. I don't thing Steve would have been in NY either.
Last year's NY show sucked because of the Boston annoucement. Had that not happened, I think the NY show would have still been strong.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 18, 2004, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
The Boston show is dead too, as long as Apple will never be there. And why don't you think that SJ would not have attended the NYC show ? He always has before, and he expressed his protests over the show being moved to Boston.

I have an even greater idea for MacWorld 2005. Relocate it Kalamazoo, MI. This will be even cheaper than holding it in Boston.

Forum Links
Forum Rules