Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > IKEA shipping... wtf?

IKEA shipping... wtf?
greenamp
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 06:47 PM

Ok so I order the $89 version of the jerker desk from IKEA a couple days ago, and today I get the order confirmation which includes a $233 shipping charge. I call the customer service number and the woman tells me it's because they can only ship via freight to my location. WTF? They can only ship via freight? I shipped four 33" tires still on the rims via UPS to southern Texas once for less than $233. Why the hell would I pay almost 3 times what the desk cost for shipping?

Looks like I'll be shopping local

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 06:52 PM

should have shopped at pikea.

mishap
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 06:59 PM

Yeah, i always have to go to an actual IKEA location. 4 hours away.

The Oracle
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Mt. Ararat, chillin' with Noah in the Ark's broken hull.
Jan 21, 2005, 07:02 PM

I've ran into the same trouble before. That's why I don't buy anything from them. Ridiculous.

All-seeing and all-knowing since 2000 B.C.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2005, 07:05 PM

It's in plain English on their site. When you buy online and it's bigger than a lightbulb... you'll pay an arm and a leg for shipping.

Can't blame them, though. Their stuff is heavy.

And I have a Jerker desk... Once you see the box you'll realize no UPS van is ever going to ship that. Tires make 4 easy boxes. This thing is not so easy and heavy like a SOB.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

greenamp  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by AB^2=BCxAC:
It's in plain English on their site. When you buy online and it's bigger than a lightbulb... you'll pay an arm and a leg for shipping.

Can't blame them, though. Their stuff is heavy.

And I have a Jerker desk... Once you see the box you'll realize no UPS van is ever going to ship that. Tires make 4 easy boxes. This thing is not so easy and heavy like a SOB.
The only thing that remotely mentioned shipping costs that I saw was a page which gave maximum and minimum estimates. I guess I figure if they are going to have an internet store, they would have their shipping methods ironed out a little better. Who in their right mind would pay that much for shipping? They must have orders cancelled/not confirmed all the f'n time.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 21, 2005, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by greenamp:
... and today I get the order confirmation which includes a $233 shipping charge. ...

Holy crap - that is fscked up. I bought 4 Bonde shelves sometime last year here in Germany and had them delivered via freight as well. They're heavy as sh*t (guess: 300+ lbs for the 4 of them) and I paid just over 40 Euros for shipping. Even considering the greater distances (in general) between warehouse and destination when comparing the US to Germany, $233 is nothing short of robbery.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 08:21 PM

I was going to order a desk from them a few years ago, but they said shipping would be over $600 because it would have to be sent on its own rail car. Even then, that would have only gotten it 1 1/2 hours away in Phoenix.
Basically, don't shop IKEA unless you order something tiny or can go pick it up at the store.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 10:55 PM

Tell them to ship it FedEx ground or something.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 11:15 PM

Send them a complaint letter.

Five years ago I went to the Ikea in Schaumburg, Il to look for a desk. I found a metal and glass desk that I really liked. I told a sales associate that I would like to buy one. He looked up on the their computer and said that they have it in stock. I pulled out my credit card and I paid the $200. I was given my receipt. Because the desk was a large item, I was told that I would have to go to their pick-up area and they would bring it out.

I went to the pick-up area and waited.

Thirty minutes later, I went up to the customer service desk and asked them, "When are you going to bring my desk out?"

They looked up my order and told me, "That the desk is not in stock."

I asked them, "Why did a sales associate just sell me one?"

I�m told, �Our computer inventory system is off. We would be happy to call me when it is in stock again.�

I said, "That isn't going to work because I live in Chicago and I don't have a car. Can I talk to a manager?�

The manager told me the same story and that they would call me.

I told the manager, �You should ship it to me for free because of the inconvenience.�

I�m told, �We can�t do that.�

I canceled the order.

When I got home, I wrote two complaint letters and sent one to the Ikea in Schaumburg and other one to their corporate headquarters. A week later, when I got home from work, I found a voice mail from a lady from Ikea. I called the lady back and she apologized about my experience at their store. She asked me if I still wanted the desk if they shipped it to me for free. I said yes and I gave her my credit card number. Three days later the desk was delivered.

RiSE
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2005, 06:13 AM

I was just at ikea the other day i wrote a blog entry about it. I was supprised how many ppl wrote comments on anti-ikea sites. check it out
http://barnapkins.org
[removed HUGE oversize inline image. --tooki]
( Last edited by tooki; Jan 22, 2005 at 05:03 PM. )

I'm the strongest person in the village where all the leaves are.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2005, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by greenamp:
Ok so I order the $89 version of the jerker desk from IKEA a couple days ago, and today I get the order confirmation which includes a $233 shipping charge. I call the customer service number and the woman tells me it's because they can only ship via freight to my location. WTF? They can only ship via freight? I shipped four 33" tires still on the rims via UPS to southern Texas once for less than $233. Why the hell would I pay almost 3 times what the desk cost for shipping?

Looks like I'll be shopping local
Dumb,

Lucky for me I have 3 in my city.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2005, 08:50 PM

It's a curse to have one of these near you, but after hearing this story, it's also a blessing I suppose.

Forum Links
Forum Rules