Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > anyone here have much experience with body piercings?

anyone here have much experience with body piercings?
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2007, 03:54 PM

I'm looking to get something (my nipples) done this weekend... I've read up on it quite a bit online, and seems like most people have a good end result.

I'm a little concerned about the piercings migrating, though. I don't want to spend ~$75 on something just to have to take it out a year later. I'm also concerned with the rate of infection on this kind of thing. I've read on multiple forums/articles/blogs about people getting it done and having the piercing migrate after awhile (even five years later). I was planning on getting 10 gauge internally threaded circular barbells.

I've had my ears pierced twice and can no longer wear jewelry in either hole. My right ear also has a ring up in the cartilage at the top, and that's never been infected or sore or anything - I got that done about six years ago.

I have no idea if anyone on 'NN is even into the whole body modification thing, but I figured it was worth a shot to ask.

And no, I'm not looking for some bizarre attention or something, so don't waste your time posting anything telling me to get a life. I really do want to know what others' experiences are in this - I'm going to make sure I'm fully informed and prepared before I go on Saturday.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2007, 04:04 PM

You're just begging for some lechery, aren't you?

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2007, 04:13 PM

No, I just want to make sure I do something like this correctly.

Actually, what prompted me to post HERE specifically was that in my Googling about this, someone posted about piercings in the MacRumors off-topic subforum...

Cipher13
Nov 5, 2007, 04:16 PM

Not knowing much about it specifically, I'd imagine it depends a fair bit on your physiology. The only girls I know that have nipple piercings (or that still wear them) are mostly around 10B-12B or so.

Dunno what measurement you use in the US, but a 12C here is a 34C there I think, for the sake of comparison.

My point, in the end, is that those girls have a lesser chance of migration taking place, and the fact that every girl I know that has nipple piercings has relatively small breasts might be an indication that if you're more well endowed, it might not be such a good option.

^ 100% conjecture, brought to you by Carlton Cold and sleep deprivation.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2007, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
It shouldn't be a problem if your body doesn't reject either stainless steel or titanium, depending on what you use. Just remember to keep it clean. Ask your piercer what they recommend. I used rubbing alcohol (big no no) the first time I had mine done, but only cause I worked on a construction site. The second time, I think I used peroxide or witch hazel, can't quite remember. Something that doesn't dry it out.

10 gauge isn't bad, and shouldn't really hurt. It's a bit of a surprise, but fades fairly quickly. If by migrate, you mean move, that shouldn't happen if you have a good piercer. They actually don't go through the nipple itself, but through the areola.
I'd read that a sea salt solution is pretty good for the first few months, plus obviously keeping the jewerly meticiously clean.

I know that surface piercings can pretty easily migrate...if it goes through the areola does that hurt like hell? How far back behind the actual nipple should they be doing the piercing? My (male) friend has two in each - circular barbells in his nipples (or just behind them), and then straight barbells behind those...he said the straight ones were ridiculously painful to have done.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2007, 04:42 PM

hay guyz i think your time zone settings are messed up....

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2007, 04:44 PM

Do you plan on having children ever? Are you going to breast feed them if you do? I know a girl who had her nipple pierced, ended up with a mild infection and scarring which prohibited her from being able to breast feed on that side. She still tried though and said the pain was awful.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2007, 04:47 PM

I wanna be from the future [/whine]

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2007, 04:49 PM

I have never had a piercing get infected or anything negative. Some depends on your body and how well it 'gets along' with the piercing. You mention that you have some already which have been infection free. That's obviously good since your body has nothing against them.

Find out from your piercer about how they advise you to clean your new piercings, and if you're looking to the future, what sort of side affects they can have in regards to breast feeding. Everyone is different in regards to the latter. I know people who have had and have had no problems with breast feeding.
My nipples are a place that I did not get pierced, personally, I'm not a fan, but my brother has had and he did not find it sore. Two other friends (one male, one female) found it painful and the female did not.

Just don't let them get infected and you should be fine.
Good luck.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Nip piercings make my fillings hurt.
I was waiting for someone to sink their teeth into that

paul w
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2007, 05:15 PM

pity tooki still ain't around.

And as with any other mod thread, be sure to post details and pix for the rest of us. Thanks!

Oh and the days of wearing angora sweaters with no bra? gone.

Rumor
Nov 5, 2007, 05:16 PM

It shouldn't be a problem if your body doesn't reject either stainless steel or titanium, depending on what you use. Just remember to keep it clean. Ask your piercer what they recommend. I used rubbing alcohol (big no no) the first time I had mine done, but only cause I worked on a construction site. The second time, I think I used peroxide or witch hazel, can't quite remember. Something that doesn't dry it out.

10 gauge isn't bad, and shouldn't really hurt. It's a bit of a surprise, but fades fairly quickly. If by migrate, you mean move, that shouldn't happen if you have a good piercer. They actually don't go through the nipple itself, but through the areola.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2007, 05:24 PM

This has got to be the most confusing thread ever.

Oh, also - what price should I be looking at as fair? I've been quoted anywhere from $50-$100 for this, including jewelry.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2007, 05:37 PM

Nip piercings make my fillings hurt.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

paul w
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2007, 05:45 PM

I just totally psotted from teh future.

Rumor
Nov 5, 2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by hart View Post
I'm going to weigh in on the breastfeeding thing too. I don't actually have any info on possible outcomes specifically for piercings but I would certainly research it if I were you.
If done right, it will not inhibit the ability to breast feed.

Rumor
Nov 5, 2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
I just totally psotted from teh future.
Not as good as mine.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by hart View Post
I'm going to weigh in on the breastfeeding thing too. I don't actually have any info on possible outcomes specifically for piercings but I would certainly research it if I were you.
I expect the worst that could happen would be a tri-spout effect, which could potentially be a novel experience for the hungry child.

Or if one has sextuplets, three per.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2007, 06:02 PM

double from the future post

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 5, 2007, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
And as with any other mod thread, be sure to post details and pix for the rest of us. Thanks!
I was waiting for that one.

hart
Senior User
Nov 5, 2007, 06:46 PM

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2007, 08:39 PM

Breastfeeding's not an issue. Children are all the spawn of satan.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2007, 08:39 PM

Please help me understand why one would pierce a part of their body that's covered up, also taking into account the medical risks involved? I honestly don't get it. I can see tattoos that others can view, but I just don't understand why someone would want to put holes in their body. What statement are they trying to make?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Paco500
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2007, 08:57 PM

I had mine done years ago. Hurt like hell. I took them out after a few years. I did it mostly as a goof, and the joke started to wear thin.

It looks good on you though.

Rumor
Nov 5, 2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Please help me understand why one would pierce a part of their body that's covered up, also taking into account the medical risks involved? I honestly don't get it. I can see tattoos that others can view, but I just don't understand why someone would want to put holes in their body. What statement are they trying to make?
There is a difference between a glamor piercing and a functional piercing. I'll let you figure the rest out.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2007, 09:27 PM

Please help me understand why one would pierce a part of their body that's covered up
Well, see, any female with nip piercings must show them off when asked. It's the law.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2007, 09:30 PM

I suppose its for the people who might, uh, be visiting that area.

Of course I find piercings in those areas distasteful. More of a detraction than accent.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2007, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by invisibleX View Post

Of course I find piercings in those areas distasteful. More of a detraction than accent.
My feelings exactly.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2007, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Daddy...?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2007, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Daddy...?
I believe that shifuimam is a chick, so she couldn't possibly be your daddy.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2007, 09:58 PM

Yes, we are all aware of that. I was talking about my daddy being Satan. In fact her daddy as well...

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2007, 10:01 PM

(1) I like how it looks. I think it adds a little edge without being too punk/goth/metal, and unlike tattoos, piercings can be removed if I change my mind.

(2) The lack of visibility is part of the fun. I can't go to work with a lot of facial piercings, and I'm not interested in weird surface piercings.

(3) Might help with sensitivity (or lack of it) in that general area.

(4) It's not a statement thing at all. I just want to do it for myself because I like how it looks. I'll probably end up taking them out ten years from now, but that's still ten years of me having something I like...

design219
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2007, 10:04 PM

Don't do it. It will not be remotely cool in a couple years.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2007, 10:12 PM

Didn't some girl almost die from a piercing? It might have been her bellybutton, I don't recall.

Just be careful. We don't want you to get ill.

Rumor
Nov 5, 2007, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by invisibleX View Post

Nipple piercings aren't really for the person that doesn't have them.

(1) I like how it looks. I think it adds a little edge without being too punk/goth/metal, and unlike tattoos, piercings can be removed if I change my mind.

(2) The lack of visibility is part of the fun. I can't go to work with a lot of facial piercings, and I'm not interested in weird surface piercings.

(3) Might help with sensitivity (or lack of it) in that general area.

(4) It's not a statement thing at all. I just want to do it for myself because I like how it looks. I'll probably end up taking them out ten years from now, but that's still ten years of me having something I like...
Go for it. Just keep it clean and don't let anyone lick/suck on your nipples (not kidding) for two to four weeks. There is a lot of bacteria in the mouth that can cause infection.

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Don't do it. It will not be remotely cool in a couple years.
That's your opinion. Nipple piercings are often not done with "cool factor" in mind.

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Didn't some girl almost die from a piercing? It might have been her bellybutton, I don't recall.

Just be careful. We don't want you to get ill.
Someone who doesn't take care of it, sure. That wouldn't surprise me. As long as she keeps it clean and her body doesn't reject it, she shouldn't have a problem.

Rumor
Nov 5, 2007, 10:39 PM

I wish Tooki was here to back me up.

Tooki! Where are you?

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2007, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Nipple piercings aren't really for the person that doesn't have them.

That's your opinion. Nipple piercings are often not done with "cool factor" in mind.
Yeah, that about sums it up. I'm not doing this to be cool or to make someone else happy. It's too expensive (and too initially painful) to do it just to look cool.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2007, 11:03 PM

So will the results of this decision be available on your Flickr page?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

64stang06
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2007, 11:16 PM

Yeah, that about sums it up. I'm not doing this to be cool or to make someone else happy. It's too expensive (and too initially painful) to do it just to look cool.
I got my eyebrow done a few months ago and love it. It's not a cool factor, it's because I wanted it. No influence from anyone or anything, just something that I did. I love it and don't regret it.

BTW, shouldn't your location be the decaying ruins of Old New York?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2007, 11:37 PM

Good luck with it.
My cousin had both pierced with no problem so I'm sure you'll be fine.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2007, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
So will the results of this decision be available on your Flickr page?
I'll probably post pics on my Livejournal photo account, so only people on my LJ friends list will see the end result.

I don't know how I feel about posting a picture of my boobies for you guys.

I'm still reading up on this on BMEzine and other sites...migration is my biggest concern at this point. From what I've read, if I stick with the biggest barbells I can do (I think 10ga. is about my limit), and get the piercing done as far back on the nipple (or I suppose the top of the areola) as I can, I should be okay. We'll see...

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2007, 11:41 PM

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2007, 11:47 PM

I'd post a picture of my boobies for you...

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2007, 11:48 PM

I have a "thing" for piercings and tattoos.

I say go for it…but only because it makes me hot.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2007, 11:51 PM

I'll probably post pics on my Livejournal photo account, so only people on my LJ friends list will see the end result.
We'll see...
Well some of will see, but I guess MacNN isn't worthy enough.

so you come to us for advice and then don't want to share the results . . . I feel so used.

jk shif, do whatever makes you feel comfortable.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2007, 11:53 PM

This has got to be the most confusing thread ever.

Oh, also - what price should I be looking at as fair? I've been quoted anywhere from $50-$100 for this, including jewelry.
Find someone who has a good portfolio you can look at and references. Don't shop this to the lowest bidder.

Rumor
Nov 5, 2007, 11:58 PM

I don't know how I feel about posting a picture of my boobies for you guys.

I'm still reading up on this on BMEzine and other sites...migration is my biggest concern at this point. From what I've read, if I stick with the biggest barbells I can do (I think 10ga. is about my limit), and get the piercing done as far back on the nipple (or I suppose the top of the areola) as I can, I should be okay. We'll see...
The only time I have seen a nipple piercing go through the actual nipple is on a male (mine included).

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2007, 12:03 AM

I guess I should add and say that I'm all for them, too. I'm not a fan of big ol' boobs myself, so think piercings look better on small-breasted women.

krillbee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2007, 12:37 AM

haha, the moment i read this thread I knew it was going to be trouble.

the human body is so beautiful without tattoos and piercings that i never understood the need for them.

also whats the point of getting your nipples pierced? who is going to see them? through your shirt? bare naked?

lol! we would get along so well.

krillbee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2007, 12:45 AM

wanna be my livejournal friend?

(crud, i just realized i havent used that site in years but if u want ill PM u my name)

Forum Links
Forum Rules