Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Quad Core using XP v. Vista. Which is better???

Quad Core using XP v. Vista. Which is better???
confuzedwizard
Mar 29, 2007, 07:12 AM

I am thinking about upgrading my office computer to a quad-core machine. (2 dual cores)

In regards to SPEED, does it make a difference if you are running XP versus Vista?
I assume (not sure why) that Vista can utilize or make better use of the 4 cores than XP? Is this true?
Would i see a speed difference between the two OS's directly related to the 4 cores? I know that Vista is a 'slower' operating system than XP because of all the eye candy and such. But would it run faster than XP because it knows how to handle the 4 cores?
( Last edited by confuzedwizard; Mar 29, 2007 at 08:10 AM. )

pcguy1
Mar 29, 2007, 09:01 AM

Just as osX with single core/multi core, it is not just a OS situation, but a combination of OS/SW use, it will all depend on the software which u will be using.
Do not settle for the world in shades of grey

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2007, 09:30 AM

Note that only XP Pro will see both processors.

Only Vista, umm I think Business and above support dual processors.
Linkinus is king.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 29, 2007, 01:09 PM

I'd be curious to know what an 'office' machine does that can take advantage of 4 cores, but I'll be quiet. Both XP Pro and Vista take (relatively) full advantage of quad cores, so it's not as if Vista is going to have any big advantages there.

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2007, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by confuzedwizard View Post
I am thinking about upgrading my office computer to a quad-core machine. (2 dual cores)

In regards to SPEED, does it make a difference if you are running XP versus Vista?
I assume (not sure why) that Vista can utilize or make better use of the 4 cores than XP? Is this true?
Would i see a speed difference between the two OS's directly related to the 4 cores? I know that Vista is a 'slower' operating system than XP because of all the eye candy and such. But would it run faster than XP because it knows how to handle the 4 cores?
First of all I would use XP for your office at this time. Not enough software compatibility at this time with Vista. How ironic, sounds like how it used to be for the Mac. As a home computer Vista works but since there are so many drivers not available for Vista you won't get much compatibility either with multicore systems.

May I ask why would you need so much power as a quad core system for your office?

Forum Links
Forum Rules