Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone USAGE screen - huge error.

iPhone USAGE screen - huge error.
confuzedwizard
Jul 4, 2007, 07:48 PM

The top part of the Usage box on my iPhone (under Settings) is blank.

I've charged the iPhone for 2 straight nights (all night long) and when i go into Settings/Usage it's "blank". This area is suppose to tell me the last time the device was Fully Charged. I've now confirmed with another friend that the USAGE screen is not showing anything for him too. Although i have another friend whose phone is showing correctly. What could be causing this error?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2007, 11:07 PM

No idea why that would happen. Mine is working fine. I would bring it to a Genius.

seaofcrap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2007, 12:46 AM

Are you sure your phone has been "fully charged"?

I was having the same issue but found out that my iPhone had, indeed, been never "fully charged" even though the battery life indicator showed 100%.

When you plug your iPhone, it should show a AC adapter image on the battery indicator, not a thunderbolt. Only the AC image indicates a fully charged battery, even though the indicator says otherwise. See 23 of your manual to see what I mean.
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz Glossy

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 01:55 AM

seaofcrap's explanation is dead-on. Try leaving your iPhone on the charger overnight, then see if you have the problem the next morning.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 02:05 AM

Double-post.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

GoCats
Jul 5, 2007, 02:34 AM

It seems as though a lot of people are having this same issue (well, at least on the boards). My usage meter works fine, and I'm able to get a full charge on my phone after about 3-4 hours. Charging it overnight should have definitely fully charged your phone, so I would say you have a problem with it and should take it into an Apple store and have them look at it.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 5, 2007, 08:44 AM

Yes, it apparently charges to 90% or so relatively quickly and then takes about as long to do the final 10%, so it's possible that it wasn't fully charged. The usage screen works fine for me BTW.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2007, 10:26 AM

So use it for a few days, charge it a few times, and see what happens.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2007, 12:50 AM

I had the exact same problem. . . . I charged mine overnight and it never said fully charged. I took it to the Apple Store and they exchanged it without a problem. My new one fully charged in about 4 hours. . . though it has been locking up on the unlock screen recently. I'm actually doing a restore right now to see if that fixes it. . . if not, I'll be on number 3 in the morning!
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

PBG4 User
Senior User
Jul 8, 2007, 04:51 PM

I had to leave mine connected to the charger for 18 hours before the usage meter started working for me. This was 18 hours after the AC icon showed on the screen.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

wendy18o
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2007, 05:08 PM

Please see my post in "next thread" the one I meant to post here. The gist of it is negative about the iPhone. I'd love to hear if anyone here agrees or not.

Rumor Addict
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2007, 03:34 AM

I had a bit of a problem getting the phone to fully charge as well. I finally used the wall charger rather than charging via the Dock/Macbook and that took care of it. Now it fully charges without issue in either fashion.
MacBook 2.0 / Powerbook 1ghz 12inch 768mb / Original 5 gig iPod / 512mb iPod Shuffle

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2007, 07:48 AM

Other than this problem of the usage not being displayed my iPhone seems to be flawless. The battery seems to charge all the way (I get the plug icon after it has charged up), but the usage is NEVER updated/displayed. Anyone else still seeing this issue - is it really anything to worry about?

PBG4 User
Senior User
Jul 9, 2007, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by DKeithA View Post
Other than this problem of the usage not being displayed my iPhone seems to be flawless. The battery seems to charge all the way (I get the plug icon after it has charged up), but the usage is NEVER updated/displayed. Anyone else still seeing this issue - is it really anything to worry about?
From what I understand, until you start seeing usage stats, you haven't fully charged your battery.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2007, 09:03 AM

That's really interesting... I'm a little concerned then because I let it charge untouched all weekend (Friday 6PM-Monday 6AM) connected with the AC adapter. The battery icon showed the "plugged" status when it took it off the doc this morning. Maybe I should call Apple.

After standing in line 12 hours for this phone I'm a little emotionally attached to it - I'd hate to have to swap it out for a new one.

Edit:
I called AppleCare and they have no idea why this is happening. They suggested resetting the stats (already have done long before I called) and if that doesn't help they suggested restoring the software (also already done).
( Last edited by DKeithA; Jul 9, 2007 at 10:47 AM. )

drfun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2007, 03:24 AM

I would try restarting the phone with a hard stop (home and top button pressed at the same time for 8 seconds).
Let the battery run down some and charge over night with the AC plug.
Remember that the phone does a quick charge for the first 80% and a trickle charge for the last 20%.
The trickle is what takes most of the time, but the battery icon will still show a full charge after the fast charge when you remove it from the dock, even if you dont see the plug icon telling you it was fully charged.

Forum Links
Forum Rules