Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is this an underground bunker?

Is this an underground bunker?
tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2010, 04:11 AM

Could this be an underground bunker?
Seems slightly odd that it would be located in a high-priced residential area of Washington, DC.
Then again maybe that's not so odd...

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...01678&t=h&z=20

dedalus
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2010, 04:56 AM

Hi.

If you look at it in street view, the whole thing is actually several meters taller than the surrounding area, so it’s more of a bunker hill (no pun intended). With a big old razor wire fence around it and a ‘Restricted Area’ sign on the Warren St. gate, it would seem to be some sort of government installation, possibly full of aliens.

Best regards,
Fox M.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2010, 05:17 AM

The main entrance gate on 44th Sth NW is motorised, yet no where really for vehicles to drive to, and the grass is kept mown.

I doubt it was a landfill site before, as the shape is too even.

It is interesting non the less.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2010, 06:13 AM

I am going to go with a definite no.

For a bunker to be that visible it would have to predate WWII making it pretty much useless for anything that would be a danger today. By the time we hit the Cold War era government made bunkers became rather sophisticated and made invisible from the masses. What's been made public from certain decommissioned 50s era sites is rather incredible so the stuff we don't know about must be really mind blowing.

Plus the government has plenty of land they own in DC to hide things if they wanted to and would do a better job than whats in the google map

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

tightsocks  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2010, 06:25 AM

Okay, I just looked at the area using the aerial maps at Bing and I am now becoming more convinced that it is an underground bunker.

That pathway near the Warren/44th corner goes to a little shack which likely serves as an entrance to the underground facility. (Entry via the shack is probably just a matter of ordering a Pepsi from the soda dispenser.)
The gate at Verplanck Pl. is likely for vehicle access.

Those plugs that dot the surface could be for ventilation etc...

Doesn't seem like we can link directly to the aerial maps in Bing, so select the Birds Eye view to see it.
http://www.bing.com/maps/#JnE9eXAudm...Y0NzI0NzMxNQ==

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2010, 07:20 AM

I'm more interested in the area on the Van Ness st. side of the property. It looks like an archeological dig.
45/47

tightsocks  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2010, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I'm more interested in the area on the Van Ness st. side of the property. It looks like an archeological dig.
Do you mean the patches of squares nearest to 45th St?
I suspect they are garden plots in a community garden.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2010, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
That looks more like a community garden to me. If you look closely you can see a small greenhouse.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 10, 2010, 07:53 AM

I think it could be "something" underground. But if it's anything "useful," it might just be a septic field... Or an underground pumping station. In any case, aside from the "do not enter" signs, what other signs are on the place?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 10, 2010, 08:00 AM

OK, on using Street View, I see that there's a "Restricted Area" sign. That could mean a whole lot of things-remember that the DC sewer system is pretty severely controlled because some of it goes under key buildings... So a pumping station, probably for the sewerage system, is my biggest choice for "what is that." As a bonus, there IS a large garden next to it-outside the fence.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
As a bonus, there IS a large garden next to it-outside the fence.
so they can quickly grab some carrots and run back underground
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2010, 08:58 AM

It is a reservoir and/or water-pumping station*. Zoom out by a factor of two, switch to map view, and you will see several other similar structures within the vicinity. Hint, they are the map items marked in blue (e.g.: water). To the Northeast of this site is Fort Reno Park and its reservoir. To the West of this site is the Dalecarlia Reservoir, one of the two main water reservoirs for DC. (The other is the McMillan reservoir off of North Capitol Street). They all have federal government "No Trespassing" signs on them because DC, or at least its water supply system, is still run by the US government. (Actually, the Army Corp of Engineers when it comes to their water supply system.)

*It is possible this one and the one in Fort Reno Park are water-supply facilities for special clients like the White House but a bunker they are not.

NOTE: The Capital Crescent bike trail winds its way up out of Georgetown into this part of DC. In fact, the trail goes right through Dalecarlia and the bike path has tall, barbed-wire-topped fences on either side of it. And if you take the C&O Canal 6 or 8 miles out of Georgetown (up the Potomac) you will pass the main water intake facility for Dalecarlia on the river side of the C&O Canal. It's got tall barbed-wire-topped fences surrounding it and federal government "No Trespassing" signs on the fences.
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Apr 10, 2010 at 09:07 AM. )
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

tightsocks  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2010, 09:18 AM

Hmm.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2010, 09:23 AM

Now, if you want to see a "spooky" place in DC, just go a little to the south of the place in your link. It is a Navy intelligence-gathering facility. It's the big complex next to WRC TV. It is called Naval Security Station Washington, DC. Although the Street View sign shows a Department of Homeland Security sign at the main entrance (which is new since I was last living in DC in 2006). However, I have faint memories of a debate about where to put the new DHS headquarters and this site was one of a few DC-located options along with the grounds of St. E's and the Navy Yard area of DC along the Anacostia.

Google Maps
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Apr 10, 2010 at 09:58 AM. )
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

finboy
Apr 10, 2010, 11:12 AM

I found some interior shots here:

IGN: Fallout 3 Screenshots (PC) 2582973

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2010, 12:36 PM

It's either a wastewater facility or a reseviour. There are several similar sites around here.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2010, 04:15 PM

It looks like a water storage tank to me.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2010, 05:45 PM

Naw, that's Warehouse 12.

Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Hi.

If you look at it in street view, the whole thing is actually several meters taller than the surrounding area, so it’s more of a bunker hill (no pun intended). With a big old razor wire fence around it and a ‘Restricted Area’ sign on the Warren St. gate, it would seem to be some sort of government installation, possibly full of aliens.

Best regards,
Fox M.

jonn804
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2010, 09:11 PM

Maybe an underground water tank? There is one located in Byrd Park in Richmond and it looks very much like this pic.

Your web browser and the Maps site are incompatible
-------------------
Dual G5 2.0, MBP, 23" ACD and 30" ACD, 1 TB storage, iPods

tightsocks  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2010, 02:08 AM

So, we all agree then.
It's a secret underground bunker disguised to look like a pumping station.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2010, 03:37 AM

Yes. It's where they're hiding that 757 that never hit the Pentagon.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2010, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Now, if you want to see a "spooky" place in DC, just go
to the Exorcist stairs. Make sure you're drunk though because it makes running them that much more fun,

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Forum Links
Forum Rules