Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple apologizes for allegedly racist removal of students from store

Apple apologizes for allegedly racist removal of students from store
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 12, 2015, 12:58 PM

An Apple Store in Australia has come under fire this week, for allegedly racially profiling a group of teenagers. A video has been posted online showing a member of staff at Melbourne's Highpoint Shopping Centre store telling six students to leave the store on Tuesday, under the grounds that security guards at the store are "just a bit worried about your presence in our store," and that the students could potentially "steal something."

Some of the students from Maribyrnong College took offense to the instruction, with the BBC reporting those present were black, suggesting the instruction to leave was based on race. A brief video of the event was published on Tuesday, and received a considerable amount of attention on social media, with more than 100,000 viewings on Facebook.

The store manager later apologized to the group, as well as the school principal, with Apple later issuing a statement apologizing over the event.

"Inclusion and diversity are among Apple's core values. We believe in equality for everyone, regardless of race, age, gender, gender identity, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation," reads the statement. "That applies throughout our company, around the world with no exceptions. We've looked into the details of the situation and we apologize to the customers involved. We will continue to do everything in our power to ensure all our customers are treated the way they should be."
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Nov 12, 2015 at 02:27 PM. )

MikeXRyan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2015, 01:09 PM

OMG! I haven't seen this kind of overt racism in many years! I certainly hope Tim Cook ordered the immediate termination of the store manager and a complete re-training of ALL staff. "...worried that they might steal something...?" How totally outrageous.

JBytes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2015, 03:48 PM

We're not in this fellow's head and can't know for sure whether his actions were racially motivated. What I find most troubling is the level of insensitivity displayed towards those children. Never mind Apple retraining; I hope his parents will sit him down and give him a good lecture on how to interact with other human beings.

MarkTime
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2015, 04:47 PM

When I was young I was followed around by store detectives and sometimes refused service by those who didn't think I was a customer and didn't think I was going to purchase anything. Unfortunately for me, I didn't get to blame it on racism.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'd have love to have had a way of reacting, because kicking people out of your store is ludicrous.

However, the mind readers are often wrong. Whether this was racism or not, is unknown.

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2015, 05:00 PM

I'm not going to pick a side because I wasn't there. Maybe this was racially motivated, or maybe the kids were just being jerks. We can't know.

I used to work at a movie theater and we would regularly kick out groups of unruly kids. I don't care what color your skin is; behave, or GTFO.

@JBytes: "insensitivity"? Was there a longer video posted somewhere?

Forum Links
Forum Rules